News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NSF CAREER Grant UPDATE Thread

Started by professing, October 18, 2019, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightofhope

I think I saw some awards from twitter, but not 100 percent sure.

Quote from: anxiety_rising on December 19, 2019, 11:09:06 PM
Quote from: J.dodo1988 on December 19, 2019, 07:59:36 PM
Anyone hear anything from EAR?

No news from EAR. My date has not even changed since July.

aspiring.academic

Quote from: lightofhope on December 20, 2019, 03:39:00 AM
I'm wondering why some div or programs can send out so many awards while other div or programs are still waiting

On a whole, search prior years to get a feel for timing.
For CISE, you'll see that the majority of awards aren't published until the following calendar year and awards are still published well into April. I did a search for CAREER 2017 and awards were still being published in April 2018. For CAREER 2018 there was a government shutdown at the beginning of 2019, which didn't seem to delay the timeframe of awards based on prior years.

Published isn't the same as recommended/contacted by PO for abstract/budget revisions. However, it's safe to say, based on prior years, that December is early to be contacted. I would venture to assume things will linger into January/February before most know which way the winds are blowing.

lightofhope

thank you so much for the info.

it's so painful and anxious.

Quote from: aspiring.academic on December 20, 2019, 04:49:24 AM
I'm wondering why some div or programs can send out so many awards while other div or programs are still waiting

For CISE, you'll see that the majority of awards aren't published until the following calendar year and awards are still published well into April. I did a search for CAREER 2017 and awards were still being published in April 2018. For CAREER 2018 there was a government shutdown at the beginning of 2019, which didn't seem to delay the timeframe of awards based on prior years.

Published isn't the same as recommended/contacted by PO for abstract/budget revisions. However, it's safe to say, based on prior years, that December is early to be contacted. I would venture to assume things will linger into January/February before most know which way the winds are blowing.

aspiring.academic

Be weary of Christmas Eve (12/24). In previous years that was the day many received their declined emails. The NSF's way of saying, "Merry Christmas".

https://twitter.com/rebicca/status/1199988202607718400?s=20

I do get a little chuckle from it as my wife sees Research.gov on the Extended Monitor while we're binge watching Star Wars and I refresh the screen a few times for any sign of an update.

At any rate, assuming you do not reach out to the PO or if the PO isn't willing to clue you in on what's going on, NSF rejections are sent at 9PM EST. If you don't get a reject email at 9PM you're safe for another day. I feel somewhat victorious when I check at 9PM and I haven't gotten anything. I've survived for yet another day.

aspiring.academic

Quote from: lightofhope on December 20, 2019, 05:16:00 AM

Agreed. Also keep in mind that the PO makes the recommendation but it cannot be funded until the Director of the division approves it. There are several layers that impede a timely response. Also, there's no better way to pass the time waiting on one proposal decision than to write another! Or take a vacation!

lightofhope

thanks.
I know there are many layers, so can we say:
if the official awards usually happen in Feb (for CISE case),  the PO should have contacted the PIs for budget/abstract weeks earlier,  that probably in Dec or early Jan.

Quote from: aspiring.academic on December 20, 2019, 05:24:02 AM

Agreed. Also keep in mind that the PO makes the recommendation but it cannot be funded until the Director of the division approves it. There are several layers that impede a timely response. Also, there's no better way to pass the time waiting on one proposal decision than to write another! Or take a vacation!

aspiring.academic

Quote from: lightofhope on December 20, 2019, 06:03:09 AM
thanks.
if the official awards usually happen in Feb (for CISE case),  the PO should have contacted the PIs for budget/abstract weeks earlier,  that probably in Dec or early Jan.

I would not expect to hear anything in December. Quite possibly not until late January. Trying to pinpoint an expected time based on abstracts and the like just creates more anxiety and are likely incorrect.

sandy689

So how long it takes for the different approval layers to complete, I mean, from "recommended" to officially "awarded"? 1 month?

rusunyii

It takes several months to be officially funded after requesting the abstract since it needs approval at different layers. Does the director of the division need to approve before the PO contacts the PIs for abstract? If so, this might be the reason for taking a couple of weeks to be contacted by the PI after the panel date.

humptydumpty

At this point, if we are not contacted by the PO, is it safe to assume that we are most likely declined or a "maybe" at best? Almost all my colleagues who got NSF career awards before got contacted by POs before Christmas

aspiring.academic

Quote from: humptydumpty on December 20, 2019, 06:50:25 AM
At this point, if we are not contacted by the PO, is it safe to assume that we are most likely declined or a "maybe" at best? Almost all my colleagues who got NSF career awards before got contacted by POs before Christmas

No. Your assumption rests on the premise that all programs and directorates move at the same pace, which they do not. Unless you happen to be colleagues of all 450ish new CAREER awardees you're incorrect. Some POs have been straightforward in communication saying decisions have not yet been made.

rusunyii

Yes. I think contact by the PO happens in December or January. CISE might be later than other programs. When was your panel?

thanks.

helloworld

I love this thread. Reading this makes me feel supported. It has been my best December friend two years in a row. Keep posting guys...

lightofhope

mid of Nov

Quote from: rusunyii on December 20, 2019, 08:08:11 AM
Yes. I think contact by the PO happens in December or January. CISE might be later than other programs. When was your panel?

thanks.

deeply_uncertain

My status date changed to 8/22. The program had a new PO after I submitted. Is it likely that the change in status date is due to the change in PO? Or they had a panel by then?