News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NSF CAREER Grant UPDATE Thread

Started by professing, October 18, 2019, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anxiety_rising

Quote from: lightofhope on December 20, 2019, 04:42:04 AM
I think I saw some awards from twitter, but not 100 percent sure.

Quote from: anxiety_rising on December 19, 2019, 11:09:06 PM
Quote from: J.dodo1988 on December 19, 2019, 07:59:36 PM
Anyone hear anything from EAR?

No news from EAR. My date has not even changed since July.

So I have not been able to find anything on Twitter for EAR. Also, there are no EAR awards announced when searching for recent CAREER awards on the NSF award search website.

murtuzaj

Long time lurker - first time poster! I wanted to share with everyone that today afternoon I got a call from the PD that he was recommending my CAREER (CISE - SaTC) for funding. Good luck to all who are anxiously awaiting responses! I guess, CISE has started making recommendations. Thank you to everyone on this thread - it has been a source of tremendous information while anxiously waiting for a call/response!

lightofhope

thanks for the info and congrats on your award.

Quote from: murtuzaj on December 20, 2019, 01:48:36 PM
Long time lurker - first time poster! I wanted to share with everyone that today afternoon I got a call from the PD that he was recommending my CAREER (CISE - SaTC) for funding. Good luck to all who are anxiously awaiting responses! I guess, CISE has started making recommendations. Thank you to everyone on this thread - it has been a source of tremendous information while anxiously waiting for a call/response!

taray

Quote from: lightofhope on December 20, 2019, 03:44:36 PM
thanks for the info and congrats on your award.

Congratulations!

shaomingfu

congratulations!

hanna

sossan

rusunyii

Thanks for sharing. Congratulations! Could u please share your panel date?

Nina Rogers

Is anyone else who hasn't heard applying to the DOE Early Career?  Do we just assume we don't have NSF and apply with a similar project or do we need to avoid overlap?  The pre-proposal is due Jan 6...

murtuzaj

Thanks all! Regarding the panel dates I suspect it was some time early October or mid-October. Not sure as research.gov does not list panel dates anymore. Those were the dates my PD held panels. FWIW, my status date on research.gov is still unchanged.

Quote from: rusunyii on December 20, 2019, 09:55:00 PM

rusunyii

Thanks! The status date will be changed once officially recommended.
Quote from: murtuzaj on December 21, 2019, 06:17:18 AM
Thanks all! Regarding the panel dates I suspect it was some time early October or mid-October. Not sure as research.gov does not list panel dates anymore. Those were the dates my PD held panels. FWIW, my status date on research.gov is still unchanged.

Quote from: rusunyii on December 20, 2019, 09:55:00 PM

hanna

Thanks for sharing. When was the last date any status of your proposal was changed? Was there any update after the panel in October?

lightofhope

The date will only be changed when your proposal is assigned to some program, or different PO, or decision is made.

Quote from: hanna on December 21, 2019, 10:09:38 AM
Thanks for sharing. When was the last date any status of your proposal was changed? Was there any update after the panel in October?

murtuzaj

Last status date was changed when the PD changed before the panel. After the panel, there was no change. I agree with lightofhopes's view on status date changes!

Quote from: hanna on December 21, 2019, 10:09:38 AM

aspiring.academic

The are so many variables at play with CAREER since they're organization wide awards. What we're doing at this point is tilting at windmills.

It's not too difficult to get an idea of how many CAREER awards a particular PO is managing, and for which year they were awarded. My PO mentioned not receiving any CAREER proposals for subsequent years. Just that bit of information helped me to decide where my proposal was going. On the flip side of things if there was a PO that received 10 proposals but at most seemed to award 2 in a given cycle — that would give me pause. It would appear that the 2 chosen would need to rate excellently with the panel to stand a chance for funding.

I say this to say there's nothing that can be done at this point to better secure a favorable outcome. It's best to have a drink of your favorite beverage and ride it out.

And if you didn't get a decline email at 9PM EST on Friday, at least find solace in the fact that your proposal lives on through the weekend.