Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NSF CAREER Grant UPDATE Thread

Started by professing, October 18, 2019, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taray

Very Well Said Friend!

Quote from: aspiring.academic on December 21, 2019, 05:05:25 PM
The are so many variables at play with CAREER since they're organization wide awards. What we're doing at this point is tilting at windmills.

It's not too difficult to get an idea of how many CAREER awards a particular PO is managing, and for which year they were awarded. My PO mentioned not receiving any CAREER proposals for subsequent years. Just that bit of information helped me to decide where my proposal was going. On the flip side of things if there was a PO that received 10 proposals but at most seemed to award 2 in a given cycle — that would give me pause. It would appear that the 2 chosen would need to rate excellently with the panel to stand a chance for funding.

I say this to say there's nothing that can be done at this point to better secure a favorable outcome. It's best to have a drink of your favorite beverage and ride it out.

And if you didn't get a decline email at 9PM EST on Friday, at least find solace in the fact that your proposal lives on through the weekend.

humptydumpty

Hi everyone, quick question: Do POs contact all the PIs (within the same program) that they recommend for funding at the same time or can that vary? I have seen on Twitter that someone has been recommended for an award for my program on Friday (contact by PO).

rusunyii

I think it will be different. Even the same PO may contact PIs at different time.

Quote from: humptydumpty on December 22, 2019, 07:29:22 AM
Hi everyone, quick question: Do POs contact all the PIs (within the same program) that they recommend for funding at the same time or can that vary? I have seen on Twitter that someone has been recommended for an award for my program on Friday (contact by PO).

shaomingfu

How did you search twitter to find such information? Thanks.

humptydumpty

Quote from: shaomingfu on December 22, 2019, 08:17:13 AM

Just searched for "NSF CAREER" in the latest posts

shaomingfu

Quote from: humptydumpty on December 22, 2019, 11:05:39 AM
Quote from: shaomingfu on December 22, 2019, 08:17:13 AM

Just searched for "NSF CAREER" in the latest posts

Thanks!

Nina Rogers

I saw some people recommended by my program so I emailed the PO about my status.  He replied promptly that I was not selected for funding and did send my reviews/a lot of follow up conversation which was very helpful (as there is the DOE coming up in two weeks).  Its certainly possible that different PIs could be notified at different times or that there are still some grants pending budget availability but its likely at this point if some people have been recommended the PO can take questions about the status/provide the reviews?

humptydumpty

Quote from: Nina Rogers on December 24, 2019, 04:59:16 AM

I saw some people recommended by my program so I emailed the PO about my status.  He replied promptly that I was not selected for funding and did send my reviews/a lot of follow up conversation which was very helpful (as there is the DOE coming up in two weeks).  Its certainly possible that different PIs could be notified at different times or that there are still some grants pending budget availability but its likely at this point if some people have been recommended the PO can take questions about the status/provide the reviews?

Do you mind sharing which program/division?

aspiring.academic

Quote from: humptydumpty on December 24, 2019, 06:53:09 AM

Stated earlier

DMR - CMP

zhupeifen

Quote from: aspiring.academic on December 24, 2019, 09:40:22 AM

Stated earlier

DMR - CMP

Did the PO ask for a public abstract?

shaomingfu

Anyone got responses from CISE/IIS?

Nina Rogers

Quote from: zhupeifen on December 24, 2019, 10:19:49 AM
Quote from: aspiring.academic on December 24, 2019, 09:40:22 AM

Stated earlier

DMR - CMP

Did the PO ask for a public abstract?

No public abstract, since I will not be funded.  I saw some CMP awards on NSF search and then just emailed to inquire about my status and to see if reviews were available.  The reviews were available and were actually helpful.  Nothing has changed on fastlane though -- I'm still "pending" there even though the decision was already made not to fund me.

lightofhope

IIS includes III and RI, right?
which one are you asking?

Quote from: shaomingfu on December 24, 2019, 12:45:30 PM

shaomingfu

lightofhope

now I know four people (including you) are waiting for III...

Quote from: shaomingfu on December 24, 2019, 02:18:39 PM
Quote from: lightofhope on December 24, 2019, 02:06:46 PM
IIS includes III and RI, right?
which one are you asking?

Quote from: shaomingfu on December 24, 2019, 12:45:30 PM

III