News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NSF CAREER Grant UPDATE Thread

Started by professing, October 18, 2019, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aspiring.academic

Judging by the Twitter chatter the rejections are hitting some inboxes.

taray

sossan

Now we are at the end of 2019, not yet heard anything. CAREER Status date is as it is (date of submisbion). This is my third submission. I don't see anyone here sharing DMR-Biomaterials (DMR-BMAT).

lightofhope

Some program(s) just got the budget on last Friday
so be patient!

Quote from: sossan on December 27, 2019, 06:55:54 AM
Now we are at the end of 2019, not yet heard anything. CAREER Status date is as it is (date of submisbion). This is my third submission. I don't see anyone here sharing DMR-Biomaterials (DMR-BMAT).

Acoustics

Any update on CMMI - DESE?

aspiring.academic

Awards will still be made well into the New Year. Keep in mind some awards weren't published until April. Published doesn't correspond with when the researcher was notified but it does signify some type of delay.

sossan

Quote from: lightofhope on December 27, 2019, 07:44:12 AM
so be patient!

Now we are at the end of 2019, not yet heard anything. CAREER Status date is as it is (date of submission). This is my third submission. I don't see anyone here sharing DMR-Biomaterials (DMR-BMAT).

Thanks LIghtofhope. Do you think by this time all programs have already issued declined letter and only remainings are recommended and gray zone proposals? It is not easy to be patient but no choice...

starindark001

A question: I submitted my CAREER on July 18th. However, there is no "external reviews will be on ** date" in my status. There is nothing after Review information. Surprisingly, after the PO checked my website on Dec 17th, my proposal's status date was changed to Dec 20th. Was my proposal reviewed or not? If it was reviewed, I guess my proposal will be declined.

aspiring.academic

Quote from: sossan on December 28, 2019, 08:30:41 AM
so be patient!

Now we are at the end of 2019, not yet heard anything. CAREER Status date is as it is (date of submission). This is my third submission. I don't see anyone here sharing DMR-Biomaterials (DMR-BMAT).

Thanks LIghtofhope. Do you think by this time all programs have already issued declined letter and only remainings are recommended and gray zone proposals? It is not easy to be patient but no choice...

No. It hasn't even been 6 months since submissions were due. Each directorate and division within move at different paces.
Be patient or reach out to your individual PO if you require an immediate status update.
Also, the "gray zone" isn't as expansive as these forums would have you believe.

hulo

Hello,

I submitted NSF CAREER this year. Second attempt. Reviewed by Bios - DBI. Last year I got rejection on Dec 12th when the Panel met in September. This year I believe my Panel met sometime around Dec 11-12. I emailed the program contact a week later regarding the status and I was told that they sent decisions for some of them and my one will be notified later on. I found that no award has been made via DBI so far in this fiscal year. Can you guess anything based on my program contact's response? Do I have any hope?

aspiring.academic

Please spend some time getting to know your PO.
It seems like far too many people don't know how their PO operates and it leads to an unnecessary amount of anxiety.
I knew my previous PO pretty well. I met with the PO in-person at least once a year for the last 3 years and served on a few panels. I never submitted a proposal to that PO but the time was well spent.
Recently, that PO left the NSF and naturally there was a PO change that happened 2 months after the CAREER was due. Luckily, I've known the new PO longer than the previous PO and in much more detail. So when I send an email I know how the PO will respond based on previous interactions. I can then ask questions that are vague enough to get solid answers and infer from there.

lightofhope

Some programs haven't made any decisions (at least for some in CISE)
my PD told me that.

so be patient!

shaomingfu

Quote from: lightofhope on December 28, 2019, 11:58:44 PM
my PD told me that.

so be patient!

Is IIS/III one of them?

lightofhope

CISE-III

Quote from: shaomingfu on December 29, 2019, 07:58:57 AM
my PD told me that.

so be patient!

Is IIS/III one of them?

shaomingfu

Quote from: lightofhope on December 29, 2019, 10:53:54 AM
CISE-III

Quote from: shaomingfu on December 29, 2019, 07:58:57 AM
my PD told me that.

so be patient!

Is IIS/III one of them?

I see.. Thanks. No news is no news.