Main Menu

NSF CAREER Grant UPDATE Thread

Started by professing, October 18, 2019, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Ouch. Sorry to hear that.

I hope other options open up for you.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

taray

Quote from: mamselle on January 09, 2020, 07:29:32 AM
Ouch. Sorry to hear that.

I hope other options open up for you.

M.
Thanks 😊

alex000

Thanks for sharing this. 
If there is a panel meeting, is it true that the meeting is usually announced in advance in the following link?https://www.nsf.gov/events/advisory.jsp

Quote from: J.dodo1988 on January 09, 2020, 01:42:56 AM
The panel was usually led by the non-rotation PO. if your assigned PO is on rotation, you may not see his or her name.

ttbeaver

SA

professing

Quote from: alex000 on January 08, 2020, 07:39:29 PM
If there is a panel meeting, is it true that the meeting should be announced in advance in the following link?https://www.nsf.gov/events/advisory.jsp

I couldn't find any panel meetings led by my PO from that website when I checked in the last three months.

I think it's really just a guessing game for the most part. I've just gone to that link and made an educated guess based on the listed program meetings and POs listed. My PO was listed a few times in the fall for panels, but there was no status change for my grant since early fall (way before the panels). With my past experience, it seemed relatively certain that the proposal was not reviewed during these panels or there would have been a status change. The next few panels for the directorate and program are not until next month or the month after. Again, I really don't have any inside information, so it is just educated guesses based on the last 2 submissions. It is possible the proposal is being ad hoc reviewed in which case I would really not have a sense of the timeline at all.

professing

I'm sorry to hear about the rejections folks! It stings for a while (I know). Give yourself a few days, refocus and review, share with trusted colleagues and resubmit. If you can't resubmit for the CAREER, there are many other standard grant options depending on your directorate. I can't remember whose blog I read, but I recall one prolific academic blogger listing the 10+ grant rejections they had before finally starting their (now very lengthy) acceptance streak.

hql5143

Quote from: helloworld on January 09, 2020, 05:56:51 AM
PO oversees another program to fill in. Must be very busy.

Quote from: hql5143 on January 08, 2020, 01:27:27 PM
Did anyone hear any news about CMMI-OE? I received no PO contact, no status update, and found nothing on twitter so far.

Thanks. I just realized that the PO oversees three different programs. Could be a lot of work.

xamxam

Submitted to DMR-CMMT. Emailed PO to inquire and status date changed immediately after, but still shows "pending". Is rejection inbound? Any help to read the tea leaves would be appreciated!

professing

Quote from: xamxam on January 09, 2020, 02:00:46 PM
Submitted to DMR-CMMT. Emailed PO to inquire and status date changed immediately after, but still shows "pending". Is rejection inbound? Any help to read the tea leaves would be appreciated!

Did you receive a status change with a recent date? If it is still pending with the original or an early date (summer/early fall), then it may not have been reviewed yet, unless it is ad hoc reviewed.

xamxam

CMMT does ad-hoc review only. Showed pending with July 2019 date until I emailed PO. Also CMMT funds 10 per year based on historical data. This year 5 people have already received awards.

professing

Quote from: xamxam on January 09, 2020, 02:34:43 PM
CMMT does ad-hoc review only. Showed pending with July 2019 date until I emailed PO. Also CMMT funds 10 per year based on historical data. This year 5 people have already received awards.

I am assuming that you have a date change since you said it was pending as July until you emailed the PO. Typically, if there is a date change before contact, it signals that a rejection may be forthcoming. However, I have heard of and seen date changes right before it is sent out for review or before a panel. It is uncertain here, but I would prepare for either scenario.

aspiring.academic

Many CISE proposals will have decisions by the end of the month...not all, but certainly most.

rusunyii

Quote from: aspiring.academic on January 09, 2020, 04:47:31 PM
Many CISE proposals will have decisions by the end of the month...not all, but certainly most.

Is it because of six months since submission?

aspiring.academic

Quote from: rusunyii on January 09, 2020, 05:50:59 PM
Quote from: aspiring.academic on January 09, 2020, 04:47:31 PM

Is it because of six months since submission?

The 6 month thing is just a guideline and based on workflow. However, the timeframe could be significantly longer than 6 months.

It'll be by the week for most in CISE CAREER awards because decisions would have been made.