News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NSF CAREER Grant UPDATE Thread

Started by professing, October 18, 2019, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deeply_uncertain

Quote from: skm15 on January 17, 2020, 02:36:58 PM
Earlier this day I was 100% confident that my proposal was going to be rejected and that they were just taking a long time to officially decline it.  But then I got a call from my PO saying the grant was reviewed well and requesting that I answer reviewer/staff questions. What a psychological turnaround!

Hope others have good news still awaiting them.

Congrats and thank you for the information. I thought it's too late to hear any good news.

da457

Really great to know! Anyone hear from SBE on CAREER or specifically SCISIP yet? I have also heard nothing yet hence me inquiring.

zhupeifen

I got my reviewers' comments back: Excellent/very good, Excellent/very good., Excellent/very good, Very good/good.

PANEL RECOMMENDATION: Moderately Competitive

The status has been changed to Recommended. At this stage, is my proposal is safe already or it all depends on the budget?

deeply_uncertain

Quote from: zhupeifen on January 22, 2020, 08:33:34 AM

I got my reviewers' comments back: Excellent/very good, Excellent/very good., Excellent/very good, Very good/good.

The status has been changed to Recommended. At this stage, is my proposal is safe already or it all depends on the budget?

That's great. Congrats!! I don't think NSF will change the status to recommended without making sure that there is a budget for it.

aspiring.academic

Nothing is official until it's funded.
There have been recommended proposals that have gone unfunded.

zhupeifen

Quote from: deeply_uncertain on January 23, 2020, 03:27:50 PM
Quote from: zhupeifen on January 22, 2020, 08:33:34 AM

That's great. Congrats!! I don't think NSF will change the status to recommended without making sure that there is a budget for it.

Thanks.

zhupeifen

Quote from: aspiring.academic on January 24, 2020, 08:55:17 AM
Nothing is official until it's funded.
There have been recommended proposals that have gone unfunded.

Thanks.

frzy

I was contacted by PO late November to submit response to reviews and also an abstract! Nothing happened after I submitted both and the status remained pending. I emailed PO on 1/21 and inquired about the status; I got no response. But the status date was updated on 1/23. Any thoughts if this is positive or negative? This has been pretty nerve-racking.

professing

Congratulations!!!

Quote from: skm15 on January 17, 2020, 02:36:58 PM
Earlier this day I was 100% confident that my proposal was going to be rejected and that they were just taking a long time to officially decline it.  But then I got a call from my PO saying the grant was reviewed well and requesting that I answer reviewer/staff questions. What a psychological turnaround!

Hope others have good news still awaiting them.

professing

Quote from: frzy on January 25, 2020, 10:08:04 PM
I was contacted by PO late November to submit response to reviews and also an abstract! Nothing happened after I submitted both and the status remained pending. I emailed PO on 1/21 and inquired about the status; I got no response. But the status date was updated on 1/23. Any thoughts if this is positive or negative? This has been pretty nerve-racking.

I'm not certain but typically when they ask for an abstract, it means it will likely be funded... However, reading the tea leaves is never a certainty I have learned. Overall, over the years, everyone who has indicated they had abstracts requested were funded, though they often did have an excruciating wait before it was finalized. I hope this is good news for you.

professing

Quote from: da457 on January 20, 2020, 10:08:33 AM
Really great to know! Anyone hear from SBE on CAREER or specifically SCISIP yet? I have also heard nothing yet hence me inquiring.

I didn't apply to SBE, but, in my experience, they tend to be slower than the bio, engineering and computer science directorates, like EHR. I am still waiting on EHR...

logdog

Quote from: professing on January 27, 2020, 10:24:07 PM

I didn't apply to SBE, but, in my experience, they tend to be slower than the bio, engineering and computer science directorates, like EHR. I am still waiting on EHR...

I'm also waiting on EHR. I see several awards have been posted for DRL but not DUE (my division), so maybe there's still hope. Best of luck.

envmicro

Has anyone NOT heard back from CBET?

I'm still waiting to hear anything (status date is still July 2019). Some colleagues who submitted to the same program got rejections back in November, so I'm hoping that no news is good news...(I will email the program director later this week to ask for updates)

da457

Quote from: logdog on January 28, 2020, 07:17:48 AM
Quote from: professing on January 27, 2020, 10:24:07 PM

I'm also waiting on EHR. I see several awards have been posted for DRL but not DUE (my division), so maybe there's still hope. Best of luck.

That's good to know - last time I applied for CAREER in SciSIP, I got rejected pretty quickly (2nd week of January), and I have heard some people get rejected in DRMS, so I too am hoping that there still may be a chance, but it is indeed nerve-wracking!

frzy

Quote from: professing on January 27, 2020, 10:21:11 PM
Quote from: frzy on January 25, 2020, 10:08:04 PM

I'm not certain but typically when they ask for an abstract, it means it will likely be funded... However, reading the tea leaves is never a certainty I have learned. Overall, over the years, everyone who has indicated they had abstracts requested were funded, though they often did have an excruciating wait before it was finalized. I hope this is good news for you.

Thanks for your feedback. I am hoping that the status date's change last week meant it is not declined yet and there is a chance it gets funded.