Main Menu

NSF CAREER Grant UPDATE Thread

Started by professing, October 18, 2019, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frzy

Quote from: frzy on January 28, 2020, 07:03:54 PM
Quote from: professing on January 27, 2020, 10:21:11 PM
Quote from: frzy on January 25, 2020, 10:08:04 PM
I was contacted by PO late November to submit response to reviews and also an abstract! Nothing happened after I submitted both and the status remained pending. I emailed PO on 1/21 and inquired about the status; I got no response. But the status date was updated on 1/23. Any thoughts if this is positive or negative? This has been pretty nerve-racking.

I'm not certain but typically when they ask for an abstract, it means it will likely be funded... However, reading the tea leaves is never a certainty I have learned. Overall, over the years, everyone who has indicated they had abstracts requested were funded, though they often did have an excruciating wait before it was finalized. I hope this is good news for you.
Thanks for your feedback. I am hoping that the status date's change last week meant it is not declined yet and there is a chance it gets funded.

My proposal just got recommended! This is with ECCS. I wish all those who have been waiting for their proposal the best of luck!

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

sandy689

Quote from: frzy on January 29, 2020, 02:10:42 PM
I was contacted by PO late November to submit response to reviews and also an abstract! Nothing happened after I submitted both and the status remained pending. I emailed PO on 1/21 and inquired about the status; I got no response. But the status date was updated on 1/23. Any thoughts if this is positive or negative? This has been pretty nerve-racking.

I'm not certain but typically when they ask for an abstract, it means it will likely be funded... However, reading the tea leaves is never a certainty I have learned. Overall, over the years, everyone who has indicated they had abstracts requested were funded, though they often did have an excruciating wait before it was finalized. I hope this is good news for you.
Thanks for your feedback. I am hoping that the status date's change last week meant it is not declined yet and there is a chance it gets funded.

My proposal just got recommended! This is with ECCS. I wish all those who have been waiting for their proposal the best of luck!

Congratulations!! Which division under ECCS?

JCu16

After last years shenanigans on first attempt (Mid-May decline), put in what I think was a much better second swing. No news yet, and I'm aware of at least some declines that have gone out, so may be on the fence again.

professing

Quote from: frzy on January 29, 2020, 02:10:42 PM

Congratulations! That is wonderful news!

professing

Quote from: JCu16 on January 30, 2020, 07:05:46 AM
After last years shenanigans on first attempt (Mid-May decline), put in what I think was a much better second swing. No news yet, and I'm aware of at least some declines that have gone out, so may be on the fence again.

Best of luck! I am still waiting, so it could just be a waiting game. I noticed that many with decisions had earlier starting dates. I wonder if they are prioritizing by starting date. Had I known, I might have listed an earlier start date. :)

I have not pinged my PO yet even though it is over the 6 month benchmark. I am planning to wait another week, since panels appear to be going on (according to the NSF website) but I am definitely nervous. First year, I didn't hear back until May/June (decline), second year was fast (early fall decline with feedback for targeted revisions), and this is my last go... I am willing to accept whatever decision is made, though I am willing to be patient in hopes of good news.

professing

Quote from: da457 on January 28, 2020, 04:04:17 PM
Quote from: logdog on January 28, 2020, 07:17:48 AM
Quote from: professing on January 27, 2020, 10:24:07 PM
Quote from: da457 on January 20, 2020, 10:08:33 AM
Really great to know! Anyone hear from SBE on CAREER or specifically SCISIP yet? I have also heard nothing yet hence me inquiring.

I didn't apply to SBE, but, in my experience, they tend to be slower than the bio, engineering and computer science directorates, like EHR. I am still waiting on EHR...

That's good to know - last time I applied for CAREER in SciSIP, I got rejected pretty quickly (2nd week of January), and I have heard some people get rejected in DRMS, so I too am hoping that there still may be a chance, but it is indeed nerve-wracking!

I hear you! I am feeling similarly. Let's hope that it just means no review has happened (or is still pending). I try not to look at the numbers of acceptances and declines. At least in my directorate, they have always said they don't cap the awards, but fund the strongest ones. I hope that's the case.

I'm also waiting on EHR. I see several awards have been posted for DRL but not DUE (my division), so maybe there's still hope. Best of luck.

JCu16

Quote from: professing on February 07, 2020, 01:57:56 PM

Best of luck! I am still waiting, so it could just be a waiting game. I noticed that many with decisions had earlier starting dates. I wonder if they are prioritizing by starting date. Had I known, I might have listed an earlier start date. :)

I have not pinged my PO yet even though it is over the 6 month benchmark. I am planning to wait another week, since panels appear to be going on (according to the NSF website) but I am definitely nervous. First year, I didn't hear back until May/June (decline), second year was fast (early fall decline with feedback for targeted revisions), and this is my last go... I am willing to accept whatever decision is made, though I am willing to be patient in hopes of good news.

So still no news, but there is at least one recent award in my program with the same start date, so looks like I'm again in the grey zone.

I'm always on the fence about contacting the PO when you are pending for a long time - last year I did after 8 months, and was told that they were still waiting on one review, and ultimately 2 months later heard that it was declined. That was more than a little weird, especially given I received 4 reviews compared to others who got 3. Shrug. Hoping that this time patience pays dividends.

J.dodo1988

last year I got 8 reviews. 2E 4V 2F - declined but not notified until late March
This year still no news.
My program is EAR a lot of awards have been posted. So hope is becoming small.

[/quote]

So still no news, but there is at least one recent award in my program with the same start date, so looks like I'm again in the grey zone.

I'm always on the fence about contacting the PO when you are pending for a long time - last year I did after 8 months, and was told that they were still waiting on one review, and ultimately 2 months later heard that it was declined. That was more than a little weird, especially given I received 4 reviews compared to others who got 3. Shrug. Hoping that this time patience pays dividends.
[/quote]

anxiety_rising

@ j.dodo1988

I am also waiting. Which program did you submit to? Mine was through Tectonics. I have no idea if they have even sent rejections out yet. I have seen at least one award already made through that program.

Best of luck!

professing

Quote from: JCu16 on February 08, 2020, 02:28:43 PM
Quote from: professing on February 07, 2020, 01:57:56 PM

I'm in the same boat with the same rationale. Best of luck to us both!

JCu16

No news still, but starting to feel pretty negative now with a second award in my program. Given my program generally awards only 1-2 and these are two expensive projects, its going to take some luck at this point.

CoolSeal

If it is any comfort, I heard a program in CBET has funded more CAREERs than any other years for fewer people submitted regular ones.
In the same boat, waiting and waiting... The difference is there seems to be no news at all from my program. I did contact the PM; radio silent...