News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NSF CAREER Grant UPDATE Thread

Started by professing, October 18, 2019, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

professing

Quote from: da457 on March 22, 2020, 04:00:16 PM

Onward and upward and thanks all for your ideas - I have learned a TON seeing responses to my posts as well as those from others. Hope everyone is healthy and safe!

Agreed that all we can do is keep on keeping on, and stay healthy and safe.

Another thing I have learned at this point in retrospect is to try to keep your same PO. It sounds like this PO gave you some real advice and wanted to go to bat for you. They will be a great person to maintain a relationship with. These are the kinds of POs who give you the kind of advice that will help you read the tea leaves. Unfortunately, I only ever was able to reach one PO who gave me little advice. I have not been able to reach my current PO (which was also the case the first time I applied) and I have been afraid to nudge them with everything going on.

Pragmatically knowing that good stuff doesn't always get funded helps too. Anyway, best of luck on the next round, and keep on persevering regardless of the outcome.

professing

Quote from: anxiety_rising on March 31, 2020, 07:29:46 AM
Mine is within EAR and is still pending. My status date changed a few days ago so I contacted the program manager to figure out what was going on. Unfortunately, his reply was that my proposal was going to be rejected. It was my first try so I am proud that it made it this far. Best of luck to everyone else still waiting for news and good luck to all of us trying again in July.

I am sorry to hear that. As someone who just got rejected on the last try, I can empathize. Just keep on keeping on, and try to make connection with the PO when the dust clears to get a sense of what worked/didn't work. Also, if this is a helpful PO, try to keep them. One common theme I've found amongst the successful (in most cases) is that they continued to work with one PO who really "got" their work and which programs they might have better traction with.

professing

Quote from: molebleeze on March 24, 2020, 10:28:20 AM
I have been quietly reading posts here and it has been quite helpful and comforting during the waiting process. I was contacted by the PO end of February and sent in my abstract & revised budget. Yesterday, I saw my status changed to Recommended. However, today, the status was back to pending. Has anyone experienced this before? The waiting process is really excruciating.

Usually, this means it will be funded. I have rarely heard of them pulling funding after recommending it. However, it is possible that COVID-19 could cause something unprecedented... I would be hopeful if I were you. Congratulations and best of luck!

professing

Quote from: javen on March 30, 2020, 01:08:20 PM
My status is still pending. I am not sure if it is a good idea to contact the Program Officer now.

I would say it never hurts to email them. Over 6 months is reasonable. However, you may want to massage your email, and also recognize they may not be responsive with everything going on and the new rapid grants.

JCu16

Quote from: professing on April 08, 2020, 04:14:34 PM
Quote from: anxiety_rising on March 31, 2020, 07:29:46 AM
Mine is within EAR and is still pending. My status date changed a few days ago so I contacted the program manager to figure out what was going on. Unfortunately, his reply was that my proposal was going to be rejected. It was my first try so I am proud that it made it this far. Best of luck to everyone else still waiting for news and good luck to all of us trying again in July.

I am sorry to hear that. As someone who just got rejected on the last try, I can empathize. Just keep on keeping on, and try to make connection with the PO when the dust clears to get a sense of what worked/didn't work. Also, if this is a helpful PO, try to keep them. One common theme I've found amongst the successful (in most cases) is that they continued to work with one PO who really "got" their work and which programs they might have better traction with.

My chair said similar when mine was still pending, but my first round PO (decline) was a rotator who finished last year. He'd actually been the PO for the vast majority of my prior proposal attempts for other types of grants, and had declined every one of them. Granted several reviewed line ball, but may have been a factor given his interests were different to mine. New rotator took over this year, and funded me, so I think it can work both ways. Key thing is to ensure you have got a helpful PO, or at least someone who is interested in your work (to the extent a PO can be).

molebleeze

Mine was finally official last week. I have greatly appreciated all the support, encouraging words, and information received here. I will continue to hand out here and try to help.

Good luck to everyone who are still waiting or plan to resubmit.

JCu16

deeply_uncertain

I have written twice to my PO, did not get any response. I guess everyone in NSF is busy with RAPID proposals.

Is there anyone who is still waiting to know the outcome? 

arcturus

I have no information about the current cycle, but the year I received mine (very long ago...) I did not hear anything until late June. In other words, if you have not yet been formally rejected, there is always hope.

deeply_uncertain

Quote from: arcturus on April 15, 2020, 04:47:12 PM
I have no information about the current cycle, but the year I received mine (very long ago...) I did not hear anything until late June. In other words, if you have not yet been formally rejected, there is always hope.

Thank you for the information.

da457

Quote from: professing on April 08, 2020, 04:11:10 PM
Quote from: da457 on March 22, 2020, 04:00:16 PM

Onward and upward and thanks all for your ideas - I have learned a TON seeing responses to my posts as well as those from others. Hope everyone is healthy and safe!

Agreed that all we can do is keep on keeping on, and stay healthy and safe.

Another thing I have learned at this point in retrospect is to try to keep your same PO. It sounds like this PO gave you some real advice and wanted to go to bat for you. They will be a great person to maintain a relationship with. These are the kinds of POs who give you the kind of advice that will help you read the tea leaves. Unfortunately, I only ever was able to reach one PO who gave me little advice. I have not been able to reach my current PO (which was also the case the first time I applied) and I have been afraid to nudge them with everything going on.

Pragmatically knowing that good stuff doesn't always get funded helps too. Anyway, best of luck on the next round, and keep on persevering regardless of the outcome.

Absolutely agreed - unfortunately, she is leaving this summer (only 2 yr terms) :(((((... but she gave me advice on how to proceed after her but unfortunately, may not be the same and that is just how it is, but will try and working much earlier (e.g., now) to get it shaped up and cleaner so that I get more edits in this time... can only control my own efforts and then roll the dice and see where they land on the board. I did put in a NSF RAPID on this so we will see what happens there. Thanks for your support and help - truly meaningful and helpful!

Vid

All; This year is my first year for submitting a CAREER proposal, my question is what would be your best advise on writing a winning CAREER proposal? Currently I have an active NSF award. Thank you
"I see the world through eyes of love. I see love in every flower, in the sun and the moon, and in every person I meet." Louise L. Hay

murtuzaj

A few thoughts from my successful attempt this year:
1) Have a bold, yet feasible, research plan.
2) Avoid extraneous details, and come straight to the point on what you want to accomplish in your research plan.
3) Show why you are the best person for the job, based on your past research record, results and other (NSF) projects.
4) Have an interesting and integrated teaching plan (just don't say you will design a bunch of new courses).

Besides that I would also not overlook the literature review and evaluation parts (specifically, if your project has algorithm design or system building components).

Last things I would say is don't propose a new research topic in your CAREER on which you don't have much experience. That's too risky. You want to build your CAREER project based on your strengths in terms of research!

Good luck!

Quote from: Vid on May 07, 2020, 10:32:56 PM
All; This year is my first year for submitting a CAREER proposal, my question is what would be your best advise on writing a winning CAREER proposal? Currently I have an active NSF award. Thank you

Vid

Thank you, very useful comments.

I am a TT at a land grant R1 university and I have around 25% extension responsibility (75% research) so no teaching for now. But my department chair said we are establishing two PhD programs and they will need me for teaching. That being said, I am a little concern about the educational plan since I wouldn't have traditional teaching approaches but will educate extension agents throughout the sate. Would you think this would be an issue?

Than you all for your advise.

--V
"I see the world through eyes of love. I see love in every flower, in the sun and the moon, and in every person I meet." Louise L. Hay

murtuzaj

Hmm..That's tricky. CAREER proposals typically require a well-integrated research and education plan. Without a strong education plan, your CAREER is bound to be declined. Given your very limited classroom teaching responsibilities, I would definitely focus more on community education (if possible). I would set up a phone call meeting with a program director and talk to him/her and get their take on it. It is well known in CAREER circles: An excellent research plan + poor education plan will almost always be declined. Similarly, and excellent teaching plan by itself will also not get you funded (atleast in the CAREER program)

Quote from: Vid on May 09, 2020, 08:58:11 PM
Thank you, very useful comments.

I am a TT at a land grant R1 university and I have around 25% extension responsibility (75% research) so no teaching for now. But my department chair said we are establishing two PhD programs and they will need me for teaching. That being said, I am a little concern about the educational plan since I wouldn't have traditional teaching approaches but will educate extension agents throughout the sate. Would you think this would be an issue?

Than you all for your advise.

--V