Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NSF CAREER Grant UPDATE Thread

Started by professing, October 18, 2019, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JCu16

Quote from: Vid on May 09, 2020, 08:58:11 PM
Thank you, very useful comments.

I am a TT at a land grant R1 university and I have around 25% extension responsibility (75% research) so no teaching for now. But my department chair said we are establishing two PhD programs and they will need me for teaching. That being said, I am a little concern about the educational plan since I wouldn't have traditional teaching approaches but will educate extension agents throughout the sate. Would you think this would be an issue?

Than you all for your advise.

--V

Agree with most of Murtuzaj's advice here, there is some program-to-program variation, so will also recommend speaking to your program manager to make sure you fit. I really would emphasize: 'don't propose a new research topic in your CAREER on which you don't have much experience' - I went with something that extended my Ph.D. research direction that is pretty much my center pillar - but definitely make sure you don't have to prove the new project is feasible too much.

In terms of if your position doesn't involve much direct teaching - are there groups in your field that involve themselves/specialize in community education? Even though I'm at an R2 with strong undergraduate connections, I proposed to work with an external group (they can have a senior personnel) to develop new materials for online modules, and K-12 teaching research around my topic. Think outside the normal box of educating at an institution and how your research might be more widely of interest. Hope this helps.

doc700

I did not get awarded a CAREER this year but my education scores were all E (it was my research program which was not as strong).  I am also at an R1.

My broader impacts plan for the CAREER focused very little on my classroom teaching.  I did discuss integrating undergrads into the lab and focusing on targeting specific sub-groups of undergrad students.  I proposed having a high school teacher work in my lab over the summers and then ideas that the classroom teacher could take back to their high schools/how we would remain engaged. 

I don't think whether or not you teach at your institution is a deal breaker.  I think there are quite a broad set of activities that could form a strong education plan and what you do teaching students in your university in a formal classroom is just one of them.  I've seen other successful examples that had a focus on interacting with elderly people at a library or building an online database for a research area.  I would second the suggestion to discuss with the program officer but I think there are a wide range of activities you could propose.

Quote from: Vid on May 09, 2020, 08:58:11 PM
Thank you, very useful comments.

I am a TT at a land grant R1 university and I have around 25% extension responsibility (75% research) so no teaching for now. But my department chair said we are establishing two PhD programs and they will need me for teaching. That being said, I am a little concern about the educational plan since I wouldn't have traditional teaching approaches but will educate extension agents throughout the sate. Would you think this would be an issue?

Than you all for your advise.

--V

raise_102

I just received the reviews for my 1st CAREER proposal submission.  Unfortunately, I didn't get funded.  I had 4 reviewers and the ratings they gave me were E, VG, VG/G, and G.  Generally, the evaluations on the contents of my research and educational components were quite good; one of the reviewers even said that he strongly recommends that the proposal should be funded. But still, no dice.

I talked with the Program Director, and he said that one of the things they had to consider if I'll be funded or not is the issue on whether I can deliver on the proposed goals since I am in a primarily undergraduate institution.  Our department has a graduate program, but only up to a Master's.  He said that  for my next NSF submission, I should try to explain that it will be possible.

1st strike,  2 more....

murtuzaj

Sorry to hear about it raise_102! It appears that your proposal reviewed very well - so not much to change for the next attempt, except address the feasibility of the research plan!

Good luck with the next attempt!

Cheers.

Quote from: raise_102 on May 11, 2020, 06:40:08 PM
I just received the reviews for my 1st CAREER proposal submission.  Unfortunately, I didn't get funded.  I had 4 reviewers and the ratings they gave me were E, VG, VG/G, and G.  Generally, the evaluations on the contents of my research and educational components were quite good; one of the reviewers even said that he strongly recommends that the proposal should be funded. But still, no dice.

I talked with the Program Director, and he said that one of the things they had to consider if I'll be funded or not is the issue on whether I can deliver on the proposed goals since I am in a primarily undergraduate institution.  Our department has a graduate program, but only up to a Master's.  He said that  for my next NSF submission, I should try to explain that it will be possible.

1st strike,  2 more....

ocean2428

Anyone heard anything about this year's DOE early career?

deeply_uncertain

My status date changed on June 03 after my last email to PO. The status is still pending. The PO did not reply my email. I am expecting a decline decision soon. Does anyone have a similar experience at this stage? Any advice on how to proceed?

deeply_uncertain

Quote from: deeply_uncertain on June 09, 2020, 10:18:00 AM
My status date changed on June 03 after my last email to PO. The status is still pending. The PO did not reply my email. I am expecting a decline decision soon. Does anyone have a similar experience at this stage? Any advice on how to proceed?

An update: got the decline decision right after posting this. Ratings are F/G/F/E. Not sure why it took so long. Clearly far away from the boundary. 

murtuzaj

Sorry to hear that! Talk to the PD soon to understand the reasons behind decline - it may not be that far away from the boundary (especially since the decision was so late). Different programs (different divisions) have different criteria for what is considered borderline. If indeed it is borderline, you may be able to re-package something rather quickly for the upcoming deadline. Good luck!

Quote from: deeply_uncertain on June 09, 2020, 01:32:39 PM

An update: got the decline decision right after posting this. Ratings are F/G/F/E. Not sure why it took so long. Clearly far away from the boundary.

deeply_uncertain

Quote from: murtuzaj on June 09, 2020, 06:16:54 PM
Sorry to hear that! Talk to the PD soon to understand the reasons behind decline - it may not be that far away from the boundary (especially since the decision was so late). Different programs (different divisions) have different criteria for what is considered borderline. If indeed it is borderline, you may be able to re-package something rather quickly for the upcoming deadline. Good luck!

Quote from: deeply_uncertain on June 09, 2020, 01:32:39 PM

Thank you for the suggestion. Looking forward to the next round.

Unseen Academical

2020 applicants - are you planning to use the August 11 or the original, July 27 deadline? Something in between maybe? This is my second try after last year's VG/VG/G. Also, are you including a pandemic plan?

doc700

I will apply this year as well.  2nd try.  I was planning to use the new date.  I don't think it offers any advantage to submit early and I would like as much time as possible to get some data from my newly re-opened lab.

What is a pandemic plan?

Good luck!

Unseen Academical

Quote from: doc700 on July 15, 2020, 05:06:22 AM

What is a pandemic plan?

If, in case of limitations due to the pandemic, it is not possible to do X as planned, I will spend the X budget on Y that will have similar outcomes. E.g. travel or in-person collaborations, etc...

I saw up thread your Ed. plan reviewed Excellent. May I ask if you included references to education literature?

Good luck to you as well!

doc700

Oh, I see.  I guess that is a good plan to have.  Since its a 5-year grant starting next spring I was hopeful that we would be at the tail end of things by then (ie could delay travel to following year of 5 year grant) but I guess that is too optimistic.

I did mention a few references when motivating my proposal and why I thought my proposed activities where impactful.  My activities were mostly at my own institution which I think was a bit subpar but overall it reviewed very well so I guess it wasn't an issue.  I focused on critical junctions in which students drop out of physics (my field) and how to support them.  This was an effort to broaden participation in my field.  There were elements of both grad recruiting and undergrad teaching/research engagement.  Probably a proposal that was aimed more at the broader community outside of my university would have been better.  I think if you have citations to include that would be amazing!

Quote from: Unseen Academical on July 15, 2020, 10:42:44 AM
Quote from: doc700 on July 15, 2020, 05:06:22 AM

What is a pandemic plan?

If, in case of limitations due to the pandemic, it is not possible to do X as planned, I will spend the X budget on Y that will have similar outcomes. E.g. travel or in-person collaborations, etc...

I saw up thread your Ed. plan reviewed Excellent. May I ask if you included references to education literature?

Good luck to you as well!

aspiring.academic

I could quite possibly have been the last person to find out my CAREER proposal wasn't funded.
I received my notification on 6/19/2020.

E/VG/VG/F

Thank goodness for the deadline extension. I should be ready for resubmission but the end of next week.

research_prof

Quote from: aspiring.academic on July 28, 2020, 01:57:32 PM
I could quite possibly have been the last person to find out my CAREER proposal wasn't funded.
I received my notification on 6/19/2020.

E/VG/VG/F

Thank goodness for the deadline extension. I should be ready for resubmission but the end of next week.

That sucks... Your scores were great... Only if this F was a G.