Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NSF CAREER Grant UPDATE Thread

Started by professing, October 18, 2019, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aspiring.academic

Quote from: research_prof on July 28, 2020, 02:09:17 PM
Quote from: aspiring.academic on July 28, 2020, 01:57:32 PM
I could quite possibly have been the last person to find out my CAREER proposal wasn't funded.
I received my notification on 6/19/2020.

E/VG/VG/F

Thank goodness for the deadline extension. I should be ready for resubmission but the end of next week.

That sucks... Your scores were great... Only if this F was a G.

I was close so that's good enough for the 1st attempt. The good thing is there wasn't any time to sulk before resubmission.

doc700

Did everyone get their packages submitted today?  Fingers crossed for some positive outcomes!

Unseen Academical

Good luck! Thankfully, I submitted mine at the end of July. I wouldn't have been able to submit today due to power outages caused by the derecho.

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

aspiring.academic

My research office makes my blood boil sometimes.
The proposal was submitted, but not without some tense moments.
I do my best to send my budget over to the research office about a month in advance to get initial feedback — after all, the university is only concerned about their cut.
I then submit the proposal in FastLane about two weeks before the due date. I had to follow up with them no fewer than eight times over the last two weeks to get someone to submit the thing in FastLane. They finally did it around 3 PM with 2 hours to spare.
I hate submitting on the due date — any number of foreseen and unforeseen things could happen.

doc700

Its really really frustrating when these things happen.  I've had 2 collaborative proposals that ultimately weren't reviewed due to submission issues.  One there was someone who was supposed to sign off and didn't...so no proposal submission.  The other the administrative person doing the upload didn't include one of the documents (that we had passed to her) so the proposal was rejected without review.

In both of our cases, we were rather last minute so we need to take some ownership for the issues.  I can imagine the stress, particularly after you were so organized in getting the documents early to your sponsored research office.  There is so much at stake for you but also they will take a cut so you think it would behoove them to be more supportive!

Unseen Academical

Quote from: mamselle on August 11, 2020, 08:14:04 PM
Hope you're OK!

M.

Yes, thank you! We are still running on a generator and will be for some time according to the electric company, but the tree missed the house by inches, so we were lucky. 

bluefooted

Quick question: I had submitted my proposal under Div of Research on Learning.  In fastlane, my proposal was moved to Div of Grad Education.  My proposal does not at all meet the division goals.  Is this normal?  Worth a pesky email (already) to the Prog Contact?

research_prof

Quote from: bluefooted on August 21, 2020, 12:02:13 PM
Quick question: I had submitted my proposal under Div of Research on Learning.  In fastlane, my proposal was moved to Div of Grad Education.  My proposal does not at all meet the division goals.  Is this normal?  Worth a pesky email (already) to the Prog Contact?

You can send a polite email to the PD and ask, but I guess the answer will be "we believe that your proposal fits better under this division and you do not get to control this assignment but we decide". Not sure whether you would like to argue about the PD's judgment...

research_prof

Quote from: research_prof on August 21, 2020, 12:21:39 PM
Quote from: bluefooted on August 21, 2020, 12:02:13 PM

You can send a polite email to the PD and ask, but I guess the answer will be "we believe that your proposal fits better under this division and you do not get to control this assignment but we decide". Not sure whether you would like to argue about the PD's judgment...

To add more context: I had emailed a PD in the past about such an issue and he had asked me why I believe my proposal is a better match for one division over another. I sent him a detailed justification, still the proposal went for review to the division of the PD's choice...

bluefooted

Just fyi - I did contact the PO listed and alerted them to the change.  They moved it back to the original division. 

ocean2428

Does anyone know when are they reviewing (panel review) the career proposal?

doc700

When I sat on a CAREER panel 2 years ago it was Oct 17-18.  Given our extension in submission, maybe later this year (in addition to program dependent)?

BTW how did your DOE Early Career situation work out Ocean?  Did you finally get reviews?

ocean2428

No, I still didn't get my review nor an official decline as of today. I tried many times to contact my PM but no success. I gave up; the last I reach to my PM was Aug.7th.

lightofhope