News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NSF CAREER Grant UPDATE Thread

Started by professing, October 18, 2019, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aspiring.academic

Well, I just got the response. CAREER has been recommended for funding. Need to send over a public abstract.

ocean2428

Congratulations! great news! What division did you apply to?

wreck

Quote from: aspiring.academic on October 08, 2020, 12:36:30 PM
Quote from: wreck on October 08, 2020, 11:00:24 AM
Thank you a lot for sharing the information! Unfortunately, https://www.nsf.gov/events/advisory.jsp does not show anything related to the PD who is in charge of my proposal, and the PD does not seem to use any social media... Thus, I have no clue at this point.

Anyone knows what is the latest time a proposal can be withdrawn? Some said before the decision is made, and some said before it is reviewed. It is easy to know if the decision has been made or not. The problem is that how can we know if the proposal has been reviewed (but not decisioned yet) or not?

Don't go solely based on the PD. If someone in your division/directorate are holding meetings, that gives you a clue.
In terms of withdrawing a proposal, why would you want to do that? You can contact the NSF to do so. If they can't withdraw it, they'll let you know. You can also reach out directly to the PD if you want to withdraw it.

Thanks a lot for your information. Really very valuable! The reason was I later looked at my submission a few times and have others looked at it too, and I think it was not my best shot but it was the last chance to me. I was just told to expect to hear about it in mid December or later. I am feeling it might be a bad sign already, since last year several people in my area heard positive news this week... The later notifications are generally declinations. This is my last bet, but senior colleagues advised that withdrawing is not recommended. So I am really struggling right now.

Just saw your sharing of the great news, huge congrats to your success!!!

lightofhope

Congrats!!!

Quote from: aspiring.academic on November 04, 2020, 04:44:49 PM
Well, I just got the response. CAREER has been recommended for funding. Need to send over a public abstract.

malist123

Hi everyone,
I submitted my Career proposal to CBET. I got an email from my program officer yesterday. The panel has raised two questions that I should address within a week. The PO is also asking a public abstract. I can definitely address the questions, but I needed some clarification as one of the questions is confusing; so, I emailed to the PO for a very short phone conversation. The PO did not respond yet. Should I worry? I am not very familiar with NSF.
Any suggestion will be very helpful.
Thanks.

aspiring.academic

Quote from: wreck on November 04, 2020, 07:20:31 PM
Thank you a lot for sharing the information! Unfortunately, https://www.nsf.gov/events/advisory.jsp does not show anything related to the PD who is in charge of my proposal, and the PD does not seem to use any social media... Thus, I have no clue at this point.

Anyone knows what is the latest time a proposal can be withdrawn? Some said before the decision is made, and some said before it is reviewed. It is easy to know if the decision has been made or not. The problem is that how can we know if the proposal has been reviewed (but not decisioned yet) or not?

Don't go solely based on the PD. If someone in your division/directorate are holding meetings, that gives you a clue.
In terms of withdrawing a proposal, why would you want to do that? You can contact the NSF to do so. If they can't withdraw it, they'll let you know. You can also reach out directly to the PD if you want to withdraw it.

Thanks a lot for your information. Really very valuable! The reason was I later looked at my submission a few times and have others looked at it too, and I think it was not my best shot but it was the last chance to me. I was just told to expect to hear about it in mid December or later. I am feeling it might be a bad sign already, since last year several people in my area heard positive news this week... The later notifications are generally declinations. This is my last bet, but senior colleagues advised that withdrawing is not recommended. So I am really struggling right now.

Are you at one of those schools where a CAREER is a unwritten yet necessary award for tenure?
If you email the PD and copy your SPO then it will be withdrawn. If it has already been reviewed, but it's before decisions have been made then you'll get those reviews.
I'd be cautious about resubmitting, or submitting anything, to the same PD in subsequent years if you go that route.

Would it not be better to whip the proposal into better shape and go after any of the numerous programs within your division? That was going to be my plan if the CAREER fell through. I'm actually submitting to one this week.

wreck

Quote from: aspiring.academic on November 05, 2020, 03:36:47 PM
Quote from: wreck on November 04, 2020, 07:20:31 PM

Are you at one of those schools where a CAREER is a unwritten yet necessary award for tenure?
If you email the PD and copy your SPO then it will be withdrawn. If it has already been reviewed, but it's before decisions have been made then you'll get those reviews.
I'd be cautious about resubmitting, or submitting anything, to the same PD in subsequent years if you go that route.

Would it not be better to whip the proposal into better shape and go after any of the numerous programs within your division? That was going to be my plan if the CAREER fell through. I'm actually submitting to one this week.

Yah, I think that is the reason why senior colleagues suggest against withdrawing---once I do that, I probably should not submit anything to the PD in the future. My problem is that, for my area, there are really just two PDs there. So, considering these, I will most likely just let it turn out. If it fells through again, of course that means I would never have CAREER. And I will reshape the proposal for other programs.

Thanks so much for your advice!!

lee2002hu

Congrats! You should be funded shortly.

Quote from: malist123 on November 05, 2020, 01:46:43 PM
Hi everyone,
I submitted my Career proposal to CBET. I got an email from my program officer yesterday. The panel has raised two questions that I should address within a week. The PO is also asking a public abstract. I can definitely address the questions, but I needed some clarification as one of the questions is confusing; so, I emailed to the PO for a very short phone conversation. The PO did not respond yet. Should I worry? I am not very familiar with NSF.
Thanks.

lightofhope

This is a very good sign and I believe your PD will reply to you soon.
Quote from: malist123 on November 05, 2020, 01:46:43 PM
Hi everyone,
Thanks.

lee2002hu

Congratulations to this year's AFOSR Young Investigator Research Program (YIP) award recipients!
https://www.afrl.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/2406086/afosr-awards-grants-to-36-scientists-and-engineers-through-its-young-investigat/

Quote from: doc700 on October 29, 2020, 11:17:13 AM
Does anyone happen to know anything about the YIP?  I received an email that it was delayed until the 23rd but still haven't heard.  Presumably still delayed but anyone have insight?

Quote from: lee2002hu on October 01, 2020, 10:58:08 AM
Quote from: doc700 on September 24, 2020, 10:31:53 AM
Unrelated to NSF CAREER, did anyone else apply for AFOSR YIP?  Any ideas when that will be announced?

The FY21 YIP announcement will be coming on Friday, 16 Oct. Thanks to all who applied! We received over 200+ submissions. Good Luck!!!

Posted by AFOSR recently.

sgalawneh

Hi All,

Anyone here submitted a career for the office of advanced cyber infrastructure (OAC)? Have anyone heard anything yet about the results?

Thanks

lee2002hu

OAC's panel was the end of October. It takes about 1~2 months for the PO to contact you.

Quote from: sgalawneh on November 08, 2020, 08:07:02 AM
Hi All,

Anyone here submitted a career for the office of advanced cyber infrastructure (OAC)? Have anyone heard anything yet about the results?

Thanks

sgalawneh

Actually, The OAC had 4 panel meetings in October. I checked my status last week the date was changed to November 4 but still pending. I haven't received anything yet as well from the program officer so I was wondering if anyone received anything yet or noticed their date was changed.

aspiring.academic

Quote from: sgalawneh on November 08, 2020, 02:58:44 PM
Actually, The OAC had 4 panel meetings in October. I checked my status last week the date was changed to November 4 but still pending. I haven't received anything yet from the program officer, so I wondered if anyone received anything yet or noticed their date was changed.

Just going off other experiences, the date change likely reflects that the reviews have been loaded. That jives with what you mentioned about the panel meeting in early October. After the reviews have been loaded, the pending status could mean any number of things, but given that they were just loaded last week, I'd lead towards decisions that have yet to be made.

sgalawneh

Quote from: aspiring.academic on November 09, 2020, 05:45:07 AM
Quote from: sgalawneh on November 08, 2020, 02:58:44 PM
Actually, The OAC had 4 panel meetings in October. I checked my status last week the date was changed to November 4 but still pending. I haven't received anything yet from the program officer, so I wondered if anyone received anything yet or noticed their date was changed.

Just going off other experiences, the date change likely reflects that the reviews have been loaded. That jives with what you mentioned about the panel meeting in early October. After the reviews have been loaded, the pending status could mean any number of things, but given that they were just loaded last week, I'd lead towards decisions that have yet to be made.

Have you come cross a case that have been recommended after the date has been changed and the status still pending?
From my previous experiences I used to get the rejection email right after the date has been changed (Usually, the second day). This time is different the status date was changed on Nov 4 and the status still pending so I am not sure if it is a positive thing?