Main Menu

NSF CAREER Grant UPDATE Thread

Started by professing, October 18, 2019, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aspiring.academic

Quote from: sgalawneh on November 11, 2020, 04:29:30 PM
Quote from: aspiring.academic on November 09, 2020, 05:45:07 AM
Quote from: sgalawneh on November 08, 2020, 02:58:44 PM
Actually, The OAC had 4 panel meetings in October. I checked my status last week the date was changed to November 4 but still pending. I haven't received anything yet from the program officer, so I wondered if anyone received anything yet or noticed their date was changed.

Just going off other experiences, the date change likely reflects that the reviews have been loaded. That jives with what you mentioned about the panel meeting in early October. After the reviews have been loaded, the pending status could mean any number of things, but given that they were just loaded last week, I'd lead towards decisions that have yet to be made.

Have you come cross a case that have been recommended after the date has been changed and the status still pending?
From my previous experiences I used to get the rejection email right after the date has been changed (Usually, the second day). This time is different the status date was changed on Nov 4 and the status still pending so I am not sure if it is a positive thing?

To answer your question, yes. That's typically how it works. A proposal is submitted and it'll sit in the pending state with the date of the submission or the day after if submitted through FastLane. A date change will occur once the panel reviews are uploaded but haven't been released. Another date change will come when the reviews are released.

You're reading too much into it. The status updated because reviews were loaded.
The status will remain in this state until decisions are made.
If you're going to be funded you'll be contacted by a PD. Very rarely in the case of the CAREER is one funded without some contact from the PD.
If there's another status update and you haven't been contacted then I'd become concerned. Until then just sit back and keep your fingers crossed.

aspiring.academic

Public awards are starting to post.
NSF —> Award Search —> Advanced Search —> Reference Code: 1045 —> Start Date: After 1/1/2021

lightofhope

Finger Crossed!

Quote from: aspiring.academic on November 13, 2020, 03:26:33 PM
Public awards are starting to post.
NSF —> Award Search —> Advanced Search —> Reference Code: 1045 —> Start Date: After 1/1/2021

soccer

Hi,
I am curious how everyone figures out the panel date. I thought these dates are published on https://www.nsf.gov/events/advisory.jsp however, I was looking up the federal register which has more detailed information of these events. It turns out that the panels convened by my program manager are all on-site (of course done virtually) reviews of some big centers in my field (physics division). I did not see any panel for regular/career proposal reviews.
  Is now a bit too early to contact PD to ask for status?
thanks!

aspiring.academic

Not each PD will have panels. Sometimes reviews occur with other PDs who have panels in the same division.

happy123

Hi Aspiring: My proposal status is showing the date when I submitted, no status change since then. Should I contact PD?

aspiring.academic

I wouldn't contact the PD until after six months unless you have a compelling reason to do so. I left the country for a month last year and didn't know how the internet, or my cell service, would be in Colombia, so I emailed the PD to alert him if he tried to contact me.

Last cycle, it took 11 months to decide on my CAREER proposal. The panel didn't meet until January 2020 despite the proposal's submission in July 2019, and I didn't have a decision until June 2020.

The standard timeframe the NSF provides is six months, and sometimes it sooner, and often it's longer, but absent a reason to do so, just let them work.

I found writing another proposal while waiting for a response to be an excellent way to pass the time.

happy123

Hi Aspiring: Many thanks for your valuable response. I agree with you.

nidayewo

Hi Everyone,

I benefit a lot from the discussion in this thread regarding NSF CAREER. A few weeks ago, a PD emailed me asking for a quad chart to summary my proposal (not an abstract). Does anyone have the same request? Is this a typical procedure in the review process? It seems that little information could be found regarding this. Many thanks in advance!

soccer

Quote from: aspiring.academic on November 19, 2020, 04:03:24 AM
I wouldn't contact the PD until after six months unless you have a compelling reason to do so. I left the country for a month last year and didn't know how the internet, or my cell service, would be in Colombia, so I emailed the PD to alert him if he tried to contact me.

Last cycle, it took 11 months to decide on my CAREER proposal. The panel didn't meet until January 2020 despite the proposal's submission in July 2019, and I didn't have a decision until June 2020.

The standard timeframe the NSF provides is six months, and sometimes it sooner, and often it's longer, but absent a reason to do so, just let them work.

I found writing another proposal while waiting for a response to be an excellent way to pass the time.

Thanks for the advice. 11 months is a long wait. I'm glad it worked out for you in the end

lightofhope

it's a typical procedure when the PD considers to fund your proposal.
congrats!

Quote from: nidayewo on November 19, 2020, 06:51:26 AM
Hi Everyone,

I benefit a lot from the discussion in this thread regarding NSF CAREER. A few weeks ago, a PD emailed me asking for a quad chart to summary my proposal (not an abstract). Does anyone have the same request? Is this a typical procedure in the review process? It seems that little information could be found regarding this. Many thanks in advance!

aspiring.academic

Quote from: soccer on November 19, 2020, 10:01:31 AM
Quote from: aspiring.academic on November 19, 2020, 04:03:24 AM

Thanks for the advice. 11 months is a long wait. I'm glad it worked out for you in the end

It worked out, not with that PD but it did work out.
That experience turned me off from that PD. After receiving my reviews on 6/24, that PD said he'd open to discussing the proposal via a Zoom call. I replied the same day on 6/24. And as of right now, I didn't get a response so I moved on with 2 months to revise the proposal.
I made the necessary adjustments to the proposal to fit elsewhere.

nidayewo

Quote from: lightofhope on November 19, 2020, 11:53:53 AM
congrats!

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for your reply! I will keep updated here if I hear any news.
I am aware that asking for abstract almost implies being awarded, but I never heard the concept of quad chart before...

xamxam

Hi Ni Da Ye, thanks for sharing! Do you mind telling us which program you applied to?

Quote from: nidayewo on November 19, 2020, 12:58:27 PM
congrats!

Hi Everyone,

I am aware that asking for abstract almost implies being awarded, but I never heard the concept of quad chart before...

nidayewo

Quote from: xamxam on November 20, 2020, 09:59:02 AM
Hi Ni Da Ye, thanks for sharing! Do you mind telling us which program you applied to?

Quote from: nidayewo on November 19, 2020, 12:58:27 PM
congrats!

Hi Everyone,

Sorry, I forgot to mentioned that it is CCF.

Have you heard about this kind of request before?