News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NSF CAREER Grant UPDATE Thread

Started by professing, October 18, 2019, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghqwertt

So it's generally recognized that a Status Date change that isn't accompanied by PO contact is generally a sign of imminent rejection, right?

Has anyone ever been rejected without seeing a Status Date change?

aspiring.academic

Quote from: ghqwertt on December 10, 2020, 12:50:33 PM
So it's generally recognized that a Status Date change that isn't accompanied by PO contact is generally a sign of imminent rejection, right?

Not accurate.

I experienced a status change in mid October.
The PD contacted me in early November.

happy123

I agree.

Anyone has any update on CAREER proposal submitted to SYN or CAT program?

lee2002hu

Change of PO also triggers the status change, and it could be a good sign

Quote from: ghqwertt on December 10, 2020, 12:50:33 PM

aspiring.academic

The first status update is usually indicative of panel having met and ratings being loaded. This is just the normal progression of things and no cause for concern.

It's the second status update without contact that likely corresponds with a decline. The second update with no contact likely means ratings and reviews have been queued for release and an email will soon follow.

The status will also update if the PD changes. PD changes occur often since most PDs with the NSF are rotational. This update is no big deal.

The status will update if a proposal is administratively moved to a different area for better alignment and fit. This update is also no big deal.

BoMiu

Question about notification email:

I always receive my NSF rejections (CAREER/standard) at 9pm central time (so 10pm DC time). They are almost always on Fridays. The last two times, when I heard the notification sound from my phone at exactly 9pm, I knew right away that it was bad news, before reading the email. (Worse, I was at dinner with my family.)

The one time when I received an acceptance for a standard NSF grant, it was at 4pm on a Friday.

Does this apply across the board to all NSF divisions? Fridays are very scary for me.

aspiring.academic

Notifications can come any day, not just Friday.
But yes, they are likely to come at 10 PM EST and usually with the subject line "NSF Proposal Notification..."

The body gets right to the point, "I regret..."

BoMiu

How about good news? Usually 5pm EST?

aspiring.academic

Quote from: BoMiu on December 11, 2020, 09:19:45 PM
How about good news? Usually 5pm EST?

Whenever the PD reaches out to you.

lightofhope

CISE finished all Career panels and will make decisions in next or two weeks.
Finger Crossed!

nidayewo

I just checked my previous rejected ones. They were indeed as you have described...

Is that NSF's way of saying have a nice weekend? :)

Quote from: BoMiu on December 11, 2020, 02:49:55 PM

I always receive my NSF rejections (CAREER/standard) at 9pm central time (so 10pm DC time). They are almost always on Fridays. The last two times, when I heard the notification sound from my phone at exactly 9pm, I knew right away that it was bad news, before reading the email. (Worse, I was at dinner with my family.)

The one time when I received an acceptance for a standard NSF grant, it was at 4pm on a Friday.

Does this apply across the board to all NSF divisions? Fridays are very scary for me.

nidayewo

as I check further, some of mine are not on Fridays, but they all arrived at 10:0x PM EST

Quote from: nidayewo on December 12, 2020, 06:16:16 PM
I just checked my previous rejected ones. They were indeed as you have described...

fizzycist

Quote from: nidayewo on December 12, 2020, 06:22:00 PM
as I check further, some of mine are not on Fridays, but they all arrived at 10:0x PM EST

Notification email arrives at 10 pm Eastern. However the rejection will generally be posted to fastlane earlier in the day. So if you are anxious like me and you constantly check fastlane every day then you can beat out the notification email by a few hours. (Obv a terrible waste of time).

nidayewo

I feel like I know NSF too much to get an award...

Quote from: fizzycist on December 12, 2020, 06:30:38 PM
Quote from: nidayewo on December 12, 2020, 06:22:00 PM

Notification email arrives at 10 pm Eastern. However the rejection will generally be posted to fastlane earlier in the day. So if you are anxious like me and you constantly check fastlane every day then you can beat out the notification email by a few hours. (Obv a terrible waste of time).

BoMiu

Quote from: fizzycist on December 12, 2020, 06:30:38 PM
I know that. But it doesn't do me any good to know the bad news earlier, so I make a point not checking fastlane everyday (I do check sometimes since the temptation is too great). At least I will have a few extra hours to enjoy the day :D.