News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NSF CAREER Grant UPDATE Thread

Started by professing, October 18, 2019, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc700

I have a question the DOE Early Career.  I submitted a pre-proposal and am now moving to the full proposal stage.  This is my second year submitting but 1st to this program (2 programs are related to my research but they accept different types of proposals in alternate years and this year I overlap with the other program).  Last year my proposal overall reviewed decently (6, 6, 5, 4) but was not funded.  I tried to discuss with that PO after but he declined saying he does not discuss with applicants until after they are funded.

Obviously I will adapt my work this year to frame it in terms of the goals of the new program.  I was wondering though -- is it appropriate to reach out to the PO now, after pre-proposal but before full proposal, to discuss?  Or did I need to do that prior to the pre-proposal if I wanted feedback?  I do know this PO a bit as I have a collaborative proposal funded in the program, attended the PI meetings and have reviewed 5-6 things for this PO in the past few years.  But I didn't know if it was possible to reach out at this stage.  From last year it seemed that I wasn't far off on the overall reviews as I knew colleagues funded with that score or lower but that the PO perhaps just didn't love the idea.  Hoping to try to avoid again if possible!

humptydumpty

soccer

Quote from: doc700 on December 18, 2020, 08:21:57 AM
I have a question the DOE Early Career.  I submitted a pre-proposal and am now moving to the full proposal stage.  This is my second year submitting but 1st to this program (2 programs are related to my research but they accept different types of proposals in alternate years and this year I overlap with the other program).  Last year my proposal overall reviewed decently (6, 6, 5, 4) but was not funded.  I tried to discuss with that PO after but he declined saying he does not discuss with applicants until after they are funded.

Obviously I will adapt my work this year to frame it in terms of the goals of the new program.  I was wondering though -- is it appropriate to reach out to the PO now, after pre-proposal but before full proposal, to discuss?  Or did I need to do that prior to the pre-proposal if I wanted feedback?  I do know this PO a bit as I have a collaborative proposal funded in the program, attended the PI meetings and have reviewed 5-6 things for this PO in the past few years.  But I didn't know if it was possible to reach out at this stage.  From last year it seemed that I wasn't far off on the overall reviews as I knew colleagues funded with that score or lower but that the PO perhaps just didn't love the idea.  Hoping to try to avoid again if possible!

I think you can and will probably get an answer of no. But it does no harm. Your preproposal is encouraged, which means it fits in the scope of the program. There is not much you can discuss with the PO.

btw, it was weird that the PO didn't want to discuss with you about your failed proposal.

angelama

Quote from: nidayewo on November 19, 2020, 06:51:26 AM
Hi Everyone,

I benefit a lot from the discussion in this thread regarding NSF CAREER. A few weeks ago, a PD emailed me asking for a quad chart to summary my proposal (not an abstract). Does anyone have the same request? Is this a typical procedure in the review process? It seems that little information could be found regarding this. Many thanks in advance!

Hi May I ask whether your proposal has been recommended or not?

SA

danielkm

I applied through ECCS. The status is still "pending" but the date changed on Friday with no contact from the PO. Bad sign?

angelama

Quote from: danielkm on December 19, 2020, 04:05:23 PM
I applied through ECCS. The status is still "pending" but the date changed on Friday with no contact from the PO. Bad sign?
If PO did not contact you earlier or immediately after the status changes, it is usually not a good sign...

aspiring.academic

Quote from: angelama on December 21, 2020, 10:19:21 AM
If PO did not contact you earlier or immediately after the status changes, it is usually not a good sign...

I'm going to disagree here.
My status date changed in mid-October. However, the PD didn't contact me until early November (2+ weeks later).

I don't believe there's much of a method to the madness.

danielkm

Quote from: aspiring.academic on December 21, 2020, 11:36:50 AM

My status date changed in mid-October. However, the PD didn't contact me until early November (2+ weeks later).

It is exactly that. Madness. This is my second attempt in three years. I got great feedback my first time and used a year to get preliminary data and get a paper out on the topic. How crummy 2020 has been I desperately need a W.

ghqwertt

Got the contact from the PO asking for an abstract and an updated C&P, but the message also asked for a response to the panel and clarified that no funding decisions have been made. (This is in ECCS.)

Anyone know what my chances are at this point?

danielkm

I think your chances are pretty good! Did your status date change by chance? I applied to ECCS as well.

ghqwertt

Status did not change. I got the message on Friday at 4 pm EST, for what it's worth.

I do know that the chances are pretty good, I guess what I'm wondering is how good. Has anyone on here gotten the PO contact and then been declined?

danielkm

I think you are good! Congratulations!

angelama

Quote from: danielkm on December 21, 2020, 12:03:32 PM
Quote from: aspiring.academic on December 21, 2020, 11:36:50 AM

It is exactly that. Madness. This is my second attempt in three years. I got great feedback my first time and used a year to get preliminary data and get a paper out on the topic. How crummy 2020 has been I desperately need a W.

Finger crossed! Good luck to your proposal!

angelama

Quote from: ghqwertt on December 21, 2020, 05:00:33 PM
Got the contact from the PO asking for an abstract and an updated C&P, but the message also asked for a response to the panel and clarified that no funding decisions have been made. (This is in ECCS.)

Anyone know what my chances are at this point?

Almost there! Based on what I learnt (from limited experiences) so far, it is almost 100%. Congratulations!