News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NSF CAREER Grant UPDATE Thread

Started by professing, October 18, 2019, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoMiu

Quote from: ghqwertt on December 21, 2020, 05:00:33 PM
Got the contact from the PO asking for an abstract and an updated C&P, but the message also asked for a response to the panel and clarified that no funding decisions have been made. (This is in ECCS.)

Anyone know what my chances are at this point?
Congratulations in advance!

lightofhope

Congrats!

Quote from: ghqwertt on December 21, 2020, 05:00:33 PM
Got the contact from the PO asking for an abstract and an updated C&P, but the message also asked for a response to the panel and clarified that no funding decisions have been made. (This is in ECCS.)

Anyone know what my chances are at this point?

fizzycist

Quote from: ghqwertt on December 21, 2020, 05:16:30 PM
Status did not change. I got the message on Friday at 4 pm EST, for what it's worth.

I do know that the chances are pretty good, I guess what I'm wondering is how good. Has anyone on here gotten the PO contact and then been declined?

I have only heard of it not materializing. Hard to say what the denominator is but probably at least 30 PO contacts. so I'm guessing you are at >95% chance.

soccer

Quote from: ghqwertt on December 21, 2020, 05:16:30 PM
Status did not change. I got the message on Friday at 4 pm EST, for what it's worth.

I do know that the chances are pretty good, I guess what I'm wondering is how good. Has anyone on here gotten the PO contact and then been declined?

Someone commented last year in this thread that they heard of stories that people didn't get the award but it was said that such event is very rare.

Based on my limited experience with government funding agencies, they never reached out to you unless that their intention at the time was to fund your proposal and that it was a near 100% certainty at the time.

ghqwertt

I take it as a tentatively good sign, but a lot of the people I see here are getting e-mails about being recommended with the abstract/C&P request, whereas mine is careful to say that no decisions have been made and that I need to respond to the panel comments/questions. I can't help but wonder if it's between me and someone else.

aspiring.academic

Quote from: ghqwertt on December 22, 2020, 03:34:49 AM
I take it as a tentatively good sign, but a lot of the people I see here are getting e-mails about being recommended with the abstract/C&P request, whereas mine is careful to say that no decisions have been made and that I need to respond to the panel comments/questions. I can't help but wonder if it's between me and someone else.

I'll clarify the seemingly inconsistent messaging to which you're referring.

The PD does not fund you. The PD makes the recommendation for funding. The Division of Grants and Agreements makes and finalizes the award after receiving the green light from the Division Director.

There are quite a few administrative pieces in the process. Therefore, PDs are careful to use language like, "your proposal reviewed well" or something to that effect. While the proposal is likely to be funded, they do not make that decision.

On the other hand, PDs don't write to everyone who submitted and ask for clarification to panel questions, updated C&P, and abstracts. What is clearly being expressed by these actions is that the proposal is most likely to be recommended for funding once all inquiries are answered.

As a practical matter, PDs and Division Directors work closely with one another. The budgets are already known, and except for some rare instances, the recommendations from the panel and PD are funded.

However, we're talking about government agencies where roles and responsibilities are clearly defined. Therefore to stop any confusion that may arise from loose language, the PD will use the phrasing that aligns with their position, but there's no reason not to look at that as a very positive sign.

ghqwertt

I guess, but they haven't actually said it's been recommended for funding. They also said that they're doing some sort of analysis. That is pretty different verbiage from what other people are getting.

angelama

Quote from: ghqwertt on December 22, 2020, 07:39:46 AM
I guess, but they haven't actually said it's been recommended for funding. They also said that they're doing some sort of analysis. That is pretty different verbiage from what other people are getting.
Some PMs directly say that they will recommend the proposal, while some PMs only say that they are considering recommending the proposal but not guarantee. I guess you are trying to identify whether there is any chance that the PMs do not recommend after they approaching PIs. I also would like to know! Anyone has some thoughts? Is 'will recommend' equivalent to 'consider recommending'?

EngineeringProfessor

Quote from: ghqwertt on December 22, 2020, 03:34:49 AM

I received a very similar email with the same disclaimers, and have been trying to determine how to interpret it.  I have a decent amount of experience with government funding and have never seen a disclaimer this harsh. I'm not in ECCS, so they aren't trying to pick between you and me, but I do wonder if we are both on the edge.

aspiring.academic

Your proposal hasn't been recommended. If I read correctly, didn't the PD ask for additional information (e.g., responses to panelists, abstract, etc.)? Why would anyone recommend it until receiving and processing this information?

People are congratulating you because the PD reached out, which is generally a positive sign.

Until your PD tells you, "I'm recommending your proposal for funding", it is still considered pending.

humptydumpty

Hi Everyone,

I have a quick q. Based on the NSF Events listed on their website, my guess is that my panel happened on December 17-18. I know another colleague who applied to the same program and already received positive news from the PO. Do you think it's reasonable to think I will have to wait after the holidays because the panel ended last Friday (positive or negative)?

ghqwertt

Quote from: aspiring.academic on December 22, 2020, 09:05:43 AM

Your proposal hasn't been recommended. If I read correctly, didn't the PD ask for additional information (e.g., responses to panelists, abstract, etc.)? Why would anyone recommend it until receiving and processing this information?

People are congratulating you because the PD reached out, which is generally a positive sign.

Until your PD tells you, "I'm recommending your proposal for funding", it is still considered pending.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Obviously they won't recommend until they get the abstract/C&P/response, the question is really whether it's close to a slam dunk (provided I give reasonable responses) or if it they sent this message to more people than they can fund.

research_prof

Quote from: ghqwertt on December 22, 2020, 10:25:53 AM
Quote from: aspiring.academic on December 22, 2020, 09:05:43 AM

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Obviously they won't recommend until they get the abstract/C&P/response, the question is really whether it's close to a slam dunk (provided I give reasonable responses) or if it they sent this message to more people than they can fund.

You will never know the answer to that. So do your best to answer the comments and send your answers back to the PD.

soccer

Quote from: humptydumpty on December 22, 2020, 09:10:42 AM
Hi Everyone,

I have a quick q. Based on the NSF Events listed on their website, my guess is that my panel happened on December 17-18. I know another colleague who applied to the same program and already received positive news from the PO. Do you think it's reasonable to think I will have to wait after the holidays because the panel ended last Friday (positive or negative)?

I think that website doesn't have accurate information. Everything is listed as a proposal review panel. If you search on the federal register, you'd get more information about the event. For my PD, most of the panels are reviewing the status of already funded centers.

ocean2428

My experience with two of the NSF grants so far.

Case 1: NSF DMR (2018)

May 22nd - PM sent an email saying "recommended for funding" and asked for C&P and Abstract (status still pending no date change)
June 4th - status changed to recommended.
June 22nd - status changed to Awarded

Case 1: NSF DMR CAREER (2020)

October 28th - PM asked to clarify some issues raised by one of the referees. (no change in date or status)
December 8th - PM sent an email saying "recommended for funding" and asked for C&P and Abstract (status still pending no date change)
Until today no change in date of status.

I hope this gives you some sort of idea of the process and timeline.

Quote from: angelama on December 22, 2020, 07:46:35 AM
Some PMs directly say that they will recommend the proposal, while some PMs only say that they are considering recommending the proposal but not guarantee. I guess you are trying to identify whether there is any chance that the PMs do not recommend after they approaching PIs. I also would like to know! Anyone has some thoughts? Is 'will recommend' equivalent to 'consider recommending'?