News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NSF CAREER Grant UPDATE Thread

Started by professing, October 18, 2019, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anxiety_rising

Quote from: happy123 on January 08, 2021, 07:12:39 AM
Anyone here still waiting for a response on the CAREER proposal? My proposal's status is still not changed since August 25; should I contact PO?

For which program? I am still waiting without updates since the date of submission (EAR). Last year I did not get a status update until rejection in mid-April. I can live with the rejection but I hate the waiting and the anxiety associated with it.

happy123

Quote from: anxiety_rising on January 08, 2021, 08:32:20 AM
Anyone here still waiting for a response on the CAREER proposal? My proposal's status is still not changed since August 25; should I contact PO?

For which program? I am still waiting without updates since the date of submission (EAR). Last year I did not get a status update until rejection in mid-April. I can live with the rejection but I hate the waiting and the anxiety associated with it.
I agree with you.  My program is chemical synthesis (SYN)

BoMiu

Quote from: anxiety_rising on January 08, 2021, 08:32:20 AM

Very fitting nickname :D. I'm still waiting, but it's most likely bad news. I try to be mentally prepared for rejection. Today is Friday, so we will see.

aspiring.academic

CBET sent out a wave of rejections on Thursday.

happy123

Quote from: aspiring.academic on January 09, 2021, 08:36:02 AM
Hi Aspiring - Your comments are always very helpful. How do you get such info on mass rejections?

nonsensical

I think NSF guidelines are that reviews can take ~6 months, so I don't think it's time to reach out yet. Personally I wouldn't contact POs to ask about a proposal status unless there was a reason to do so other than curiosity - maybe something like "the resubmission deadline is coming up and I don't know whether I should be preparing to resubmit" or something. But if you do decide to reach out, I might suggest waiting even longer than 6 months this year given all the disruptions related to COVID.

aspiring.academic

Quote from: happy123 on January 09, 2021, 11:59:29 AM
Quote from: aspiring.academic on January 09, 2021, 08:36:02 AM
Hi Aspiring - Your comments are always very helpful. How do you get such info on mass rejections?

I didn't mean to insinuate it was a wave relative to the number of proposals submitted. I personally know people who applied the CAREER through CBET and several received rejections on Thursday.

I also did a search on Twitter to see if anyone posted with the keyword NSF CAREER and I found a few that also received rejections and one specifically called said his was in CBET.

It's just a cursory observation — nothing based in fact.

soccer

I don't think it would hurt. I contacted my PO the Monday before Christmas and was told the decision would be made in the first two weeks of the new year, and earlier this week, I was told it was recommended.

lightofhope

which program?

Quote from: soccer on January 09, 2021, 11:01:17 PM
I don't think it would hurt. I contacted my PO the Monday before Christmas and was told the decision would be made in the first two weeks of the new year, and earlier this week, I was told it was recommended.

happy123

Quote from: lightofhope on January 10, 2021, 03:43:03 AM
which program?

Quote from: soccer on January 09, 2021, 11:01:17 PM
SYN

ribekle

For those in CISE (CCF), I was contacted by PO last week to respond to questions. A few days later it was recommended for award.

ghqwertt

Ugh, just got a status date change a few weeks after sending my response/abstract to the PO. Still Pending, no additional contact.

I have a feeling I'm getting rejected.

rusunyii

Quote from: ghqwertt on January 11, 2021, 01:31:14 PM
Ugh, just got a status date change a few weeks after sending my response/abstract to the PO. Still Pending, no additional contact.

I have a feeling I'm getting rejected.

It should be fine. I think yours will be officially recommended soon (they are making progress). When did you send the response/abstract? I have sent my abstract for more than 1 month. It is still pending (no status change).

ghqwertt

Around 3 weeks ago. The status date changed this afternoon, but the date they recorded is yesterday. Ominous since every rejection I've gotten has a final status date that is one day before the actual rejection.

rusunyii

Quote from: ghqwertt on January 11, 2021, 02:59:03 PM
Around 3 weeks ago. The status date changed this afternoon, but the date they recorded is yesterday. Ominous since every rejection I've gotten has a final status date that is one day before the actual rejection.

No worries. This is quite normal for recommending your proposal. Once abstract is submitted, it will be awarded in general.