News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NSF CAREER Grant UPDATE Thread

Started by professing, October 18, 2019, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

born_a_prof

Are the processing times at NSF unusually slow right now ? I have a submitted proposal sitting to be sent out for review for 3 months now...should I do something or sit tight ?

lightofhope

you won't get any meaningful feedback from the PD since it's just 3 months.

Quote from: born_a_prof on January 13, 2021, 08:22:51 AM
Are the processing times at NSF unusually slow right now ? I have a submitted proposal sitting to be sent out for review for 3 months now...should I do something or sit tight ?

EngineeringProfessor

In a normal year, the standard timeline is 6 months from receipt to Division Director concurrence. At best, 4 months from submission deadline to any contact from PO. Sit tight.

aspiring.academic

I have one I submitted in early November. I'm just going to sit tight. Maybe I'll hear something by May. There's no better way to pass the time than to write the next one.

born_a_prof

Quote from: EngineeringProfessor on January 13, 2021, 08:56:55 AM

In a normal year, the standard timeline is 6 months from receipt to Division Director concurrence. At best, 4 months from submission deadline to any contact from PO. Sit tight.

Yes I know the 6 month timeframe for the whole process, but it hasn't even been sent out for review yet...thats the part which seems unusual ?

deeply_uncertain

Quote from: born_a_prof on January 13, 2021, 10:00:37 AM

Yes I know the 6 month timeframe for the whole process, but it hasn't even been sent out for review yet...thats the part which seems unusual ?

How do you know that your proposal hasn't been sent out for a review? I could not figure that out for my proposal.

research_prof

Quote from: deeply_uncertain on January 13, 2021, 01:15:09 PM

How do you know that your proposal hasn't been sent out for a review? I could not figure that out for my proposal.

research.gov status.

angelama

Quote from: research_prof on January 13, 2021, 01:32:50 PM

research.gov status.

How did you get that from research.gov? My proposals are submitted via Fastlane - when I check the status via research.gov, I can only see the pending/recommended/awarded/declined status. I did not find a location to check whether it is out for review.
Thanks.

born_a_prof

I submitted via research.gov. I can see the status is "submitted, not yet sent out to review".

research_prof

Quote from: born_a_prof on January 13, 2021, 02:48:33 PM

I submitted via research.gov. I can see the status is "submitted, not yet sent out to review".

So, that means it has not been sent to reviewers yet. I am honestly not sure what is going on with NSF these days...

happy123

Quote from: research_prof on January 13, 2021, 03:08:46 PM

So, that means it has not been sent to reviewers yet. I am honestly not sure what is going on with NSF these days...
I don't think you will know when your proposal was sent out for review. It is different from submitting a paper for publication. I submitted my proposal on August 5. The status changed on August 26, and still, it remains the same.

research_prof

Quote from: happy123 on January 13, 2021, 03:43:19 PM
Quote from: research_prof on January 13, 2021, 03:08:46 PM

I don't think you will know when your proposal was sent out for review. It is different from submitting a paper for publication. I submitted my proposal on August 5. The status changed on August 26, and still, it remains the same.

You do. When it is sent out to reviewers, research.gov says so. It says something like: "due date passed or assigned for review".

deeply_uncertain

This is interesting. It appears that research.gov shows a different set of status updates if one submits the proposal through it or through Fastlane. I submitted via Fastlane, so research.gov has been showing me only status updates like first Pending and then Declined/Awarded. This waiting game is tough. But I have enough time to wait. Last time I waited until June to find a declined status. It's too early for me to know something.   

research_prof

Quote from: deeply_uncertain on January 14, 2021, 12:32:52 PM
This is interesting. It appears that research.gov shows a different set of status updates if one submits the proposal through it or through Fastlane. I submitted via Fastlane, so research.gov has been showing me only status updates like first Pending and then Declined/Awarded. This waiting game is tough. But I have enough time to wait. Last time I waited until June to find a declined status. It's too early for me to know something.   

Right: if you submit through research.gov, you can track the status of your proposal. A PD had told me that fast lane had such a function too, but it has been retired since the time fast lane started redirecting you to research.gov when you try to track your proposal's status.

PI

Congrats to all those who are winning CAREER this year.

An unrelated question. I see many posts stating that if you see status update with a new date in January (assuming there was a review in December) and have not yet been contacted by the PO, then it is pretty sure that you have a rejection coming. Is this true for most NSf grants not just CAREER. Any experience to the contrary?

I don't recall what happened with my last NSF grant. After all the anxiety, this one small detail is easily forgotten till you are waiting the next time.