News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NSF CAREER Grant UPDATE Thread

Started by professing, October 18, 2019, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rusunyii

I think this is normal. One of my previous proposals took 3 months from abstract submission to recommend, and then a couple of days from recommend to award.

Quote from: angelama on January 16, 2021, 06:59:44 AM
Thanks - same here. Not sure what is happening. My previous proposals never took so long.

Quote from: ocean2428 on January 16, 2021, 06:55:58 AM

No news since PM asked for Abstract and C&P. PM's email says that recommend for funding but nothing has changed in Research.gov. Still has the original submission date and status pending.

Quote from: angelama on January 16, 2021, 06:25:27 AM
Has your CAREER been proposal recommended? I was also contacted by the PM in Dec for C&P and Abstract, and there is no news since then. The proposal status is still pending with no date change.

Quote from: ocean2428 on December 22, 2020, 11:09:59 AM

My experience with two of the NSF grants so far.

Case 1: NSF DMR (2018)

May 22nd - PM sent an email saying "recommended for funding" and asked for C&P and Abstract (status still pending no date change)
June 4th - status changed to recommended.
June 22nd - status changed to Awarded

Case 1: NSF DMR CAREER (2020)

October 28th - PM asked to clarify some issues raised by one of the referees. (no change in date or status)
December 8th - PM sent an email saying "recommended for funding" and asked for C&P and Abstract (status still pending no date change)
Until today no change in date of status.

I hope this gives you some sort of idea of the process and timeline.

Quote from: angelama on December 22, 2020, 07:46:35 AM
Quote from: ghqwertt on December 22, 2020, 07:39:46 AM
I guess, but they haven't actually said it's been recommended for funding. They also said that they're doing some sort of analysis. That is pretty different verbiage from what other people are getting.
Some PMs directly say that they will recommend the proposal, while some PMs only say that they are considering recommending the proposal but not guarantee. I guess you are trying to identify whether there is any chance that the PMs do not recommend after they approaching PIs. I also would like to know! Anyone has some thoughts? Is 'will recommend' equivalent to 'consider recommending'?

lightofhope

which program in CISE?

Quote from: rusunyii on January 15, 2021, 04:56:44 PM
Mine is in CISE. We have a similar timeline. Hope it will be recommended soon.

Quote from: ocean2428 on January 11, 2021, 03:54:38 PM

Which program did you apply to? I submitted my Abstract and C&P a little over a month ago and the status still pending.

Quote from: rusunyii on January 11, 2021, 02:43:17 PM
Quote from: ghqwertt on January 11, 2021, 01:31:14 PM
Ugh, just got a status date change a few weeks after sending my response/abstract to the PO. Still Pending, no additional contact.

I have a feeling I'm getting rejected.

It should be fine. I think yours will be officially recommended soon (they are making progress). When did you send the response/abstract? I have sent my abstract for more than 1 month. It is still pending (no status change).

rusunyii

NeTS. I remember you are in IIS. Do you have any update?

Quote from: lightofhope on January 16, 2021, 08:00:30 AM
which program in CISE?

Which program did you apply to? I submitted my Abstract and C&P a little over a month ago and the status still pending.

Ugh, just got a status date change a few weeks after sending my response/abstract to the PO. Still Pending, no additional contact.

It should be fine. I think yours will be officially recommended soon (they are making progress). When did you send the response/abstract? I have sent my abstract for more than 1 month. It is still pending (no status change).

lightofhope

no news.

Quote from: rusunyii on January 16, 2021, 08:52:57 AM

which program in CISE?

rusunyii

Best of Luck!

Quote from: lightofhope on January 16, 2021, 11:49:28 AM
no news.

Quote from: rusunyii on January 16, 2021, 08:52:57 AM

which program in CISE?

aspiring.academic

Status updated to recommended after being pending since mid December.
I finally saw my reviews and ratings...they were nothing to write home about but I had 1 very enthusiastic reviewer that saved my bacon.
My proposal wasn't in the "highly competitive" grouping either.

ocean2428

Big congratulations! I remember you were saying last year that your proposal officially recommended. I thought you mean the status changed to recommended. How did you get to know that it was officially recommended?

Quote from: aspiring.academic on January 18, 2021, 09:43:13 PM
I finally saw my reviews and ratings...they were nothing to write home about but I had 1 very enthusiastic reviewer that saved my bacon.

aspiring.academic

I should've been clearer.
When I said it was "officially" recommended. I meant the PD told me it was recommended. That was mid-December. In hindsight, I should've said "unofficially."
Nothing happened in Research.gov until today when the status changed to "recommended" and the panel summary with reviews became available.

Hopefully that clears it up.

Quote from: ocean2428 on January 18, 2021, 09:48:47 PM
Big congratulations! I remember you were saying last year that your proposal officially recommended. I thought you mean the status changed to recommended. How did you get to know that it was officially recommended?

ocean2428

Yes, thank you. Congratulations again!

Quote from: aspiring.academic on January 18, 2021, 09:55:30 PM
When I said it was "officially" recommended. I meant the PD told me it was recommended. That was mid-December. In hindsight, I should've said "unofficially."
Nothing happened in Research.gov until today when the status changed to "recommended" and the panel summary with reviews became available.

BoMiu

Congratulations! Who cares about the ratings? All that matters is that they give us the grant :D.

aspiring.academic

Quote from: BoMiu on January 19, 2021, 12:48:03 AM
Congratulations! Who cares about the ratings? All that matters is that they give us the grant :D.

True! Thank you.

lightofhope

Congrats!

rusunyii

Congratulations! I also thought you got the status changed to Recommended in mid-Dec, and PO recommended your proposal in early Nov. You will get the award pretty soon.

aspiring.academic

Early Nov - Requested Abstract, IRB, and respond to reviewers
Mid Nov - Additional round of questions
Early Dec - Additional IRB info and budget increase
Mid Dec - "Unofficially" recommended
Mid Jan - "Officially" recommended
??? - Awarded? Maybe.

Quote from: rusunyii on January 19, 2021, 08:03:23 AM
Congratulations! I also thought you got the status changed to Recommended in mid-Dec, and PO recommended your proposal in early Nov. You will get the award pretty soon.

deeply_uncertain

@aspiring.academic Congratulations!!