News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NSF CAREER Grant UPDATE Thread

Started by professing, October 18, 2019, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vid

Congratulations. well done. Can I ask about your rating? I got three VG-G (multiple ratings) and declined:(. it was my first try, though.
"I see the world through eyes of love. I see love in every flower, in the sun and the moon, and in every person I meet." Louise L. Hay

PI

congratulations to aspiring.academic.

Here we are about 2 weeks from the deadline for a regular NSF grant. But no word on decline or recommendation. Status date changed for the first time last week.

Wondering if contacting PO to ask when to expect something would be a bad idea or not.

humptydumpty

Declined minutes ago. Secondary consideration with VG, VG, G, G. While I was expecting this, it still hurts, especially because the negative reviews seem extremely lazy (short reviews with clearly no understanding of what's proposed). Oh well.... Good luck everyone!

dionysus816

Last year, mine was E, E/V, V, P, declined.
Hope my second submission this year lead to better outcome.

Quote from: Vid on January 19, 2021, 04:57:08 PM
Congratulations. well done. Can I ask about your rating? I got three VG-G (multiple ratings) and declined:(. it was my first try, though.

aspiring.academic

Last Year Decline: E/VG/VG/F, Panel Recommendation: None Given
Recommended: E/VG/G/G/G, Panel Recommendation: Competitive

dionysus816

Congratulations!
According to our cases, I think a balanced review is necessary for a recommended proposal.

Quote from: aspiring.academic on January 20, 2021, 07:48:14 AM

happy123

Many congratulations aspiring. academic. Your comments are always helpful as well as insightful.
Today, I received an email from my PO to submit an updated current and pending support document and confirm no overlap between my CAREER proposal and another pending proposal. However, on FastLane, the status didn't change since August. Any comment will be much appreciated.

BoMiu

Quote from: happy123 on January 20, 2021, 12:11:11 PM
Many congratulations aspiring. academic. Your comments are always helpful as well as insightful.
Today, I received an email from my PO to submit an updated current and pending support document and confirm no overlap between my CAREER proposal and another pending proposal. However, on FastLane, the status didn't change since August. Any comment will be much appreciated.
I assume that's positive news!

BoMiu

Quote from: humptydumpty on January 19, 2021, 05:52:34 PM
Declined minutes ago. Secondary consideration with VG, VG, G, G. While I was expecting this, it still hurts, especially because the negative reviews seem extremely lazy (short reviews with clearly no understanding of what's proposed). Oh well.... Good luck everyone!
I'm sorry to hear that. Good luck with your future grants (CAREER or not). I've had my share of lazy reviews, but it's down to us to impress them. Luck plays a big role, so applying many times will help.

aspiring.academic

Quote from: happy123 on January 20, 2021, 12:11:11 PM

Thank you! And that's good news and good progress!
Don't worry about the lack of status updates. Just provide the requested information and maybe sneak in a question at the end asking when you can anticipate an update.

ghqwertt

I also got an official Recommended status after all my hand-wringing, so that's kind of a relief.

EngineeringProfessor

Quote from: ghqwertt on January 21, 2021, 03:23:40 PM
I also got an official Recommended status after all my hand-wringing, so that's kind of a relief.

Congratulations!!!!! Any further contact from the PO to help you understand whether something tipped the scales in your favor, or if they were just being more careful in their language?

aspiring.academic

NOA hit the inbox today.

Now to actually do the work.

ocean2428

How long it took to change the status to recommend after you submit the abstract?

Quote from: ghqwertt on January 21, 2021, 03:23:40 PM

ghqwertt

For me, it took around 3 weeks.

I asked around and it looks like my program generally always uses that verbiage.