News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NSF CAREER Grant UPDATE Thread

Started by professing, October 18, 2019, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

angelama

Quote from: ocean2428 on January 21, 2021, 11:28:54 PM
How long it took to change the status to recommend after you submit the abstract?

Quote from: ghqwertt on January 21, 2021, 03:23:40 PM
I also got an official Recommended status after all my hand-wringing, so that's kind of a relief.

Mine is still pending with no date change. More than one month since I sent the CP and abstract. Finger Crossed!

rusunyii

The same here. It has been 6 weeks. But I think it should be OK. The longest time I ever had from sending abstract to status "recommended" was 2.5 months.

Quote from: angelama on January 22, 2021, 06:32:48 AM
How long it took to change the status to recommend after you submit the abstract?

I also got an official Recommended status after all my hand-wringing, so that's kind of a relief.

Mine is still pending with no date change. More than one month since I sent the CP and abstract. Finger Crossed!

anxiety_rising

Congrats to all the CAREER recipients and good luck to all others still waiting to hear news. I really appreciate all the comments in this threat as I have learned a lot related to the process. For now, I am still waiting for news (EAR). As of today, there has been only one award announced which is very strange but I did hear from a friend that EAR finally got their budget early this year so that might delay the process. One thing that is striking is how dissimilar the processes are between programs. For example, EAR never requests for a "reply to questions from reviewers". At least I have never been asked that on my previous two successful proposals. On all my unsuccessful submissions, we usually just see a date change and then a few weeks later the 9 pm CT email shows up. Regardless, best of luck to all and fingers crossed for those still waiting.

J.dodo1988

Thanks for the information. It is my third time application, also EAR. I am getting increasingly anxious as I know someone has been notified that their application was recommended (the same subgroup). Last time, my ratings were E, E, VG, VG, VG, VG/G, G, and G, and the panel review was competitive. The project is like a baby and my student and I have input a lot of efforts. It is interdisciplinary and it is different from what I did. I feel that constitutes one of the reasons for the previous panelists to be conserved about it. I am still hopeful and at the same time preparing myself for another rejection so that I will not feel crushed when it actually comes. 

Quote from: anxiety_rising on January 22, 2021, 08:51:04 AM
Congrats to all the CAREER recipients and good luck to all others still waiting to hear news. I really appreciate all the comments in this threat as I have learned a lot related to the process. For now, I am still waiting for news (EAR). As of today, there has been only one award announced which is very strange but I did hear from a friend that EAR finally got their budget early this year so that might delay the process. One thing that is striking is how dissimilar the processes are between programs. For example, EAR never requests for a "reply to questions from reviewers". At least I have never been asked that on my previous two successful proposals. On all my unsuccessful submissions, we usually just see a date change and then a few weeks later the 9 pm CT email shows up. Regardless, best of luck to all and fingers crossed for those still waiting.

angelama

Quote from: rusunyii on January 22, 2021, 07:02:14 AM
The same here. It has been 6 weeks. But I think it should be OK. The longest time I ever had from sending abstract to status "recommended" was 2.5 months.

Quote from: angelama on January 22, 2021, 06:32:48 AM

Thanks for the information. I hope so!

BoMiu

Just received my declination at 9:02 CST. I had thought I was safe, at least until next Friday, since I didn't receive anything yesterday. While I was prepared, reading the reviews made me sad since I was close. For the second time I was put in the "Recommended for Funding if Possible" category. But this is my last chance, so I will never get it.

Vid

sorry to hear that, BoMiu.  It's a matter of luck sometimes. I would put the CAREER proposal into a regular submission.

Good Luck,
"I see the world through eyes of love. I see love in every flower, in the sun and the moon, and in every person I meet." Louise L. Hay

ocean2428

I am really sorry to hear this. Was it recommended for funding by PM? I have heard may successful stories about close career proposals getting funded by the regular program.

Quote from: BoMiu on January 23, 2021, 07:44:23 PM
Just received my declination at 9:02 CST. I had thought I was safe, at least until next Friday, since I didn't receive anything yesterday. While I was prepared, reading the reviews made me sad since I was close. For the second time I was put in the "Recommended for Funding if Possible" category. But this is my last chance, so I will never get it.

BoMiu

Quote from: Vid on January 23, 2021, 07:53:21 PM
sorry to hear that, BoMiu.  It's a matter of luck sometimes. I would put the CAREER proposal into a regular submission.

Good Luck,
Thanks. I'm also waiting on a regular NSF proposal, so hopefully I will have better luck.

BoMiu

Quote from: ocean2428 on January 24, 2021, 09:57:32 AM
I am really sorry to hear this. Was it recommended for funding by PM? I have heard may successful stories about close career proposals getting funded by the regular program.

In my field proposals are put into "highly recommended for funding", "recommended for funding if possible" and "not recommended for funding" categories. Only proposals in the first category, and a few in the second category are recommended for funding by PD. They say they fund between 15%-20% of the proposals, so it's extremely competitive.

aspiring.academic

Quote from: BoMiu on January 24, 2021, 03:39:09 PM

In my field proposals are put into "highly recommended for funding", "recommended for funding if possible" and "not recommended for funding" categories. Only proposals in the first category, and a few in the second category are recommended for funding by PD. They say they fund between 15%-20% of the proposals, so it's extremely competitive.

To answer the question, BoMiu was never contacted by the PD and told the proposal was recommended. BoMiu was operating under the assumption that no news, and no updates, is good news. And it was up until the moment it wasn't.

BoMiu's panel recommendations are accurate in the sense that they go into four categories, "highly competitive," "competitive," "low competitive" - this is where BoMiu fell, which is fund if budget allows, and "not competitive." There can also be an NDP, but you wouldn't want to be there.

ocean2428

Thank you aspiring.academic!

Quote from: aspiring.academic on January 24, 2021, 04:50:12 PM
Quote from: BoMiu on January 24, 2021, 03:39:09 PM

To answer the question, BoMiu was never contacted by the PD and told the proposal was recommended. BoMiu was operating under the assumption that no news, and no updates, is good news. And it was up until the moment it wasn't.

BoMiu's panel recommendations are accurate in the sense that they go into four categories, "highly competitive," "competitive," "low competitive" - this is where BoMiu fell, which is fund if budget allows, and "not competitive." There can also be an NDP, but you wouldn't want to be there.

Battou

Has anybody received any reply, negative or positive, from CCF/SHF? The status date has changed twice for me (i know that it is not a good sign) but the status is still pending.

aspiring.academic

Quote from: Battou on January 26, 2021, 07:20:05 PM
Has anybody received any reply, negative or positive, from CCF/SHF? The status date has changed twice for me (i know that it is not a good sign) but the status is still pending.

17 awards in CCF. Several in SHF.

Battou

Quote from: aspiring.academic on January 26, 2021, 08:58:14 PM
Quote from: Battou on January 26, 2021, 07:20:05 PM

17 awards in CCF. Several in SHF.
Thank you very much for the information! I guess, I will start working on the next proposal submission :)