News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NSF CAREER Grant UPDATE Thread

Started by professing, October 18, 2019, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterfall

Quote from: Battou on January 26, 2021, 07:20:05 PM
Has anybody received any reply, negative or positive, from CCF/SHF? The status date has changed twice for me (i know that it is not a good sign) but the status is still pending.

I am in a similar situation (CCF/ CIF). My status date changed on 01/06, but the status is still pending. Since 14 awards are already posted under CIF, the chance of getting it now is pretty slim. Not sure if anyone has received negative news from CCF. Battou, when did your status dates change? Hope they will give us some information soon.

Battou

Quote from: waterfall on January 27, 2021, 07:57:47 AM
Quote from: Battou on January 26, 2021, 07:20:05 PM
Has anybody received any reply, negative or positive, from CCF/SHF? The status date has changed twice for me (i know that it is not a good sign) but the status is still pending.

I am in a similar situation (CCF/ CIF). My status date changed on 01/06, but the status is still pending. Since 14 awards are already posted under CIF, the chance of getting it now is pretty slim. Not sure if anyone has received negative news from CCF. Battou, when did your status dates change? Hope they will give us some information soon.
The first change in status date happened in 01/18 and the second three days later.

notmyrea

Congrats to all those who have already received the good news.
I got a "Low Competitive" reject last week.

Does anyone know how the typical CAREER panel actually runs? I got only ~1 weakness in all my four reviews (G) which was explicitly addressed, and I am wondering if anyone even read the entire thing?

It will be a bummer if a proposal that takes several months of effort is summarily dismissed by just reading the summary.

dionysus816

I can feel your pain. I had similar experience during the last cycle. My case was more extreme: E, E/V, VG, P.
Still waiting for the decision of DMR. Literally, I refresh research.gov at least twice a day.

aspiring.academic

Quote from: notmyrea on January 28, 2021, 06:02:57 AM
Does anyone know how the typical CAREER panel actually runs? I got only ~1 weakness in all my four reviews (G) which was explicitly addressed, and I am wondering if anyone even read the entire thing?

It will be a bummer if a proposal that takes several months of effort is summarily dismissed by just reading the summary.

It's a lot of work to serve on a panel. Being tossed 20-30 proposals, being asked to rank them, summarize their strengths and weaknesses, and then advocate for those on the fringe is rough. The panelists wrote about a weakness collectively, which is indicative of it either dominating the panel or, in their opinion, the explanation being insufficient.

From the three CAREER workshops at the NSF that I attended, it was nearly universal advice that if you know something in the proposal may be perceived as a deficiency or oversight, address it upfront, early, and often. Sticking it on page 7 of a 15-page proposal doesn't help the case.

Also, get some additional feedback from the PD. Writing panel summaries is a painstaking task for them, and many agonize over every declination.

born_a_prof

Quote from: dionysus816 on January 28, 2021, 08:40:43 AM
I can feel your pain. I had similar experience during the last cycle. My case was more extreme: E, E/V, VG, P.
Still waiting for the decision of DMR. Literally, I refresh research.gov at least twice a day.

Those are rookie numbers, need to pump them up to like every 2 hours or so.

anxiety_rising

Quote from: born_a_prof on January 28, 2021, 09:44:21 AM

I was probably doing the same things until a new and recent experience with a particular PO. He actually emailed me in the Fall to let me know that my proposal was going to be rejected. The date in Fastlane did not change until early January, three months after the decision had already been made. So, in my opinion, refreshing research.gov every day or so is a waste of time.

dionysus816

I am about to submit the tenure package this year. That's where the anxiety comes from.

Quote from: anxiety_rising on January 28, 2021, 09:57:24 AM

I was probably doing the same things until a new and recent experience with a particular PO. He actually emailed me in the Fall to let me know that my proposal was going to be rejected. The date in Fastlane did not change until early January, three months after the decision had already been made. So, in my opinion, refreshing research.gov every day or so is a waste of time.

aspiring.academic

Quote from: dionysus816 on January 28, 2021, 10:33:01 AM
I am about to submit the tenure package this year. That's where the anxiety comes from.

You'll get tenure!

deeply_uncertain

I agree that refreshing research.gov is a waste of time. I wish NSF has a policy about how to handle the declined proposals. In 3 months you could have done many things with your proposal, including revising it for the next round.

This is slowing science and hurting productivity of a significant portion (>85%) of NSF's customers. I am assuming that roughly 15% of proposals get funded.     

happy123

Quote from: aspiring.academic on January 28, 2021, 11:58:17 AM

You'll get tenure!
Hi Aspiring. Academic: After submitting the revised budget, my PO told me that the program had recommended my proposal for funding. I also submitted the public award abstract upon the request from PO. However, the status on FastLane is still showing "pending" from the date of submission. My question is: how much is the chance I will get the award, and how long will it take to get the final decision? Many thanks for always being very helpful to all of us.

aspiring.academic

Quote from: happy123 on January 28, 2021, 02:19:00 PM

You'll get tenure!
Hi Aspiring. Academic: After submitting the revised budget, my PO told me that the program had recommended my proposal for funding. I also submitted the public award abstract upon the request from PO. However, the status on FastLane is still showing "pending" from the date of submission. My question is: how much is the chance I will get the award, and how long will it take to get the final decision? Many thanks for always being very helpful to all of us.

Very good chance but nothing is official until you get the NOA. The process can take a little as a month to get all the approvals and go through the business review. The status will eventually update to Recommended. I'll just tell you to remain patient.

aspiring.academic

Quote from: deeply_uncertain on January 28, 2021, 12:42:09 PM

I agree that refreshing research.gov is a waste of time. I wish NSF has a policy about how to handle the declined proposals. In 3 months you could have done many things with your proposal, including revising it for the next round.

This is slowing science and hurting productivity of a significant portion (>85%) of NSF's customers. I am assuming that roughly 15% of proposals get funded.   

Sorry to hear about your disappointment with Research.gov. Just imagine how terrible it was before that system with FastLane, which provided even less visibility, and senior academics seem to have gotten by. It's a sign of the information era. The NSF does have a policy for handling declined proposals. At the end of the day, it's a government agency.

The funding rates are greater than 15%. FY2019 - 2020, the success rates were BIO: 36%, CISE: 25%, EHR: 23%, ENG: 26%, GEO: 42%, MPS: 30%, O/D: 25%, and SBE: 25%.

In most cases, except for MPS, the success rates increased from the previous year, and MPS remained a steady 30%. If you'd like the breakdown by a particular division, I can give you that too.

On average, across all divisions and programs, the average decision time is 5.78 months. The NSF advises six months, and while we would all like to know as soon as a decision is made, on average, they are consistent.

aspiring.academic

Congrats to all academics who were funded this cycle (results are still coming)! May your projects be fruitful and lead to success.

For many, a decline may put a sour taste in your mouth. You may be frustrated by the reviews, upset by the length of time, infuriated with the lack of updates, and disappointed with the process. Don't give up! All too often, I've seen researchers with good work be discouraged by the process and not resubmit. Please revise and resubmit.

The NSF is mostly a civilian driven organization. PDs turnover all the time. What one did not like is not a death sentence for your topic.

For those who are out of opportunities for the CAREER — so what! Too many departments have falsely placed an arbitrary barrier to tenure on the CAREER. Yes, it would've been nice but more people without the CAREER have gone on to have successful careers than those who received it. Do not let the CAREER be the barometer for your career's success. Take that proposal, revise it and submit it to another NSF program or another agency.

It's OK to be disappointed, but don't quit.

dionysus816

Hopefully yes!

You'll get tenure!