News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NSF CAREER Grant UPDATE Thread

Started by professing, October 18, 2019, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluefooted

Just back on to say that I am still waiting for the final award.  Timeline is really slow!  Almost 4 months from initial contact from the program officer.  I feel like I've been holding my breath for 4 months.  But it's got to be close now!!

EngineeringProfessor

Quote from: Vid on March 20, 2021, 09:07:13 PM

To CAREER awardee in Engineering: Have you guys attended NSF Engineering CAREER workshop before? Any idea how it goes?

Yes, it was incredibly helpful. Definitely go! I went in person, I don't know how the online versions work. It was 2 days very well spent.

The most helpful part was hearing directly from my NSF sub-program on specific nuances that they expect in our proposals. This changed my approach to the proposal entirely.

You also get a chance to meet the PMs.

An afternoon includes feedback on your draft from 5-6 other attendees at the workshop. The feedback I got on my research was just so-so since the 5 weren't in my field, but learning from them still helped me refine my messaging, especially on how to frame my educational activities.

born_a_prof

I signed up for this year (its being held remotely). However, somehow I didnt make the cut of 300 who will get the feedback.
No idea what criteria they use to shortlist ??

Vid

Quote from: EngineeringProfessor on March 25, 2021, 11:21:48 AM
Quote from: Vid on March 20, 2021, 09:07:13 PM

EngineeringProfessor: Did you share your proposal with the workshop organizers and got their feedback on your proposal? It's virtual this year, I heard it is very competitive.

Also did you attend the Mock Panel Session, as well?

Thank you

To CAREER awardee in Engineering: Have you guys attended NSF Engineering CAREER workshop before? Any idea how it goes?

Yes, it was incredibly helpful. Definitely go! I went in person, I don't know how the online versions work. It was 2 days very well spent.

The most helpful part was hearing directly from my NSF sub-program on specific nuances that they expect in our proposals. This changed my approach to the proposal entirely.

You also get a chance to meet the PMs.

An afternoon includes feedback on your draft from 5-6 other attendees at the workshop. The feedback I got on my research was just so-so since the 5 weren't in my field, but learning from them still helped me refine my messaging, especially on how to frame my educational activities.
"I see the world through eyes of love. I see love in every flower, in the sun and the moon, and in every person I meet." Louise L. Hay

Vid

Quote from: born_a_prof on March 25, 2021, 12:18:32 PM
I signed up for this year (its being held remotely). However, somehow I didnt make the cut of 300 who will get the feedback.
No idea what criteria they use to shortlist ??

These are the criteria:

Mock panel participation will be selected based on: a) applicability of the proposed research to the Directorate for Engineering, b) timeliness and completeness of the application, and c) preference given to those who have not previously attended an NSF Engineering CAREER workshop.

They typically select second and third try applicants (their CAREER proposal declined one or two times).
"I see the world through eyes of love. I see love in every flower, in the sun and the moon, and in every person I meet." Louise L. Hay

born_a_prof

I know thats what it says on the criteria. But I am anan engineering professor who applied before deadline, and never attended before.
It is my first try though, so I guess that did me in ?

Vid

Quote from: born_a_prof on March 26, 2021, 11:13:29 AM
I know thats what it says on the criteria. But I am anan engineering professor who applied before deadline, and never attended before.
It is my first try though, so I guess that did me in ?

yes they selected second and third try applicants. there is very low chance for the first try applicant (this's what I heard, though!).

Best

aspiring.academic

I don't know the rhyme or reason for workshop selection and subsequent time with PDs.

- Attended workshop and was selected to meet with PDs 2017, 2018 & 2019
- First CAREER submission: 2019, Result: Declined
- Skipped 2020 virtual CAREER workshop
- Second CAREER submission: 2020, Result: Funded

Vid

aspiring.academic; Wow, you attended the NSF CAREER workshop 3 times! Many, Many Congratulations.

Good luck to all NSF CAREER proposers this year!

lightofhope

Is there anyone still waiting for the Career result?

J.dodo1988

Me.
Date still shows August. Last year, the rejection from the same program came in around April 19th. 

Quote from: lightofhope on April 08, 2021, 06:23:13 AM

deeply_uncertain

Me too. Last year received the rejection from the same program on June 9th. 

Quote from: J.dodo1988 on April 08, 2021, 08:25:21 AM
Me.
Date still shows August. Last year, the rejection from the same program came in around April 19th. 

HunterNC

Seriously? Did you reach out to PD afterward on why such a delay happened? Did the PD try to find funds to support you but failed, or just send out a decline letter late for no reason?

Quote from: deeply_uncertain on April 12, 2021, 01:34:24 PM

Me.

aspiring.academic

The last cycle was an entire mess and a half. I submitted on 7/17/2019 and didn't get my reviews and decline until the end of June 2020. Due to the delay in getting a decision, I had less than two months to make revisions.

I've learned, especially for these annual competitions, not to wait for feedback or determination. You often know how the proposal could be improved and strengthened before receiving feedback from the panel. Additionally, the panel will change from year to year, so what's said in the feedback in 2019 may be different than in 2020.

I'm looking at a proposal I submitted back in November that doesn't have a decision. I'll be making edits and improvements in the upcoming weeks if it's not funded so I can quickly turn it around in November.

The PD doesn't owe an explanation, and they also won't confirm whether they were trying to find funds, at least not in writing. NSF also prides itself on the decisions not being late because the six-month timeframe is only an average, which is pretty frustrating with annual cycles. With the move to no deadlines for small projects, less than $500,000, the wait for a decision can be absurdly long.

deeply_uncertain

I reached out to PD afterward. We did not discuss about the delay. I did not ask; PD did not talk about it. Knowing the reason of the delay would not improve my proposal. We just talked about reviewer comments. Seriously, you can't really do anything in this situation. Just hope that you are not in it. 

Quote from: HunterNC on April 13, 2021, 09:06:59 AM
Seriously? Did you reach out to PD afterward on why such a delay happened? Did the PD try to find funds to support you but failed, or just send out a decline letter late for no reason?

Quote from: deeply_uncertain on April 12, 2021, 01:34:24 PM

Me.