News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Dinner--or Dessert--Tonight

Started by mamselle, June 03, 2019, 09:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Larimar on November 06, 2020, 02:50:14 PM
For tonight and a couple nights after, we've got a big crock pot full of homemade vegetarian 'beef' stew, to be eaten with rosemary bread. Another of my favorites.

Got room for one more?

OneMoreYear

For tonight and a couple nights after, we've got a big crock pot full of homemade vegetarian 'beef' stew, to be eaten with rosemary bread. Another of my favorites.

Ooh, sounds wonderful! What do you use for the "beef"?

Larimar

Quote from: OneMoreYear on November 06, 2020, 04:33:57 PM

Ooh, sounds wonderful! What do you use for the "beef"?

Gardein, one of the veggie-burger companies, makes meatless 'beef tips'. Check the the frozen food section of your local grocery store. The same company makes some pretty yummy teriyaki chicken strips too!

Quote from: mamselle on November 06, 2020, 02:58:02 PM
Inviting myself over, virtually...

The bread alone would do it!

M.
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on November 06, 2020, 03:27:02 PM

Got room for one more?

Sure, why not! Come on over, all three of you. And bring the kitties. :)

Larimar

ab_grp

All of these meals sound so good.  And hearty!

Since the week just kept on coming, we ended up having a European-style (read: late) "dinner" of potato skins.  It was our first attempt, and of course we had bought the materials for them a while ago, so some of the ingredients were no longer appropriate for inclusion.  So these had medium cheddar, bacon, and red onion.  They were pretty good, though I would probably scoop out a little more potato on some of the bigger ones.  That would also leave more room for toppings.  Of course we ate them with lots of sour cream.  And, as usual, we started off with a reasonable number each but decided to go for one more.  Karma paid me back when mine flew off my plate.  Thankfully, it landed sour cream side up.

mamselle

Report on the fish pie: tasty, not too dry, but I could have made the white sauce thinner, and that would have been OK, too.

Ingredients:

Sauce: corn starch, butter, and water off the second rinsings of the tinned salmon and shimp. Black pepper, a dab of honey mustard, a bit of mayo, and Herbes de Provence; it turns out I'm out of dill, or I'd have added that.

Baked in small glass pie dish: Salmon, shrimp, spinach, chevre cheese, bacon. Covered with sauce and heated up while making the lid, then baked til the top was golden brown and tapped hollow to touch.

Lid: biscuit topping made with flour, butter and water.

I used enough fish mixture to fill the pie dish, saved the rest to heat separately with white rice; I'll definitely add more water to the sauce, otherwise, it was tasty.

If I wanted to stretch it/make more, I have crabmeat, peas, and carrots I could add for volume, could also have used potatoes, but since I'm planning to use it with rice, maybe not this time.

Fun experiment!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ab_grp

That sounds amazing, Mamselle.  We sometimes put leftover fish pie innards on muffins or on toast with eggs, or whatever. 

We are having leftover steak, brussels sprouts with the balsamic sauce, and roasted sweet and mini potatoes from the other night.  It's a meal that is somewhat healthy and lets us have a bunch of leftovers.  Hurrah! But now that we have more restrictions coming due to that virus, we will probably try to order from another pizza place this weekend to work on that spreadsheet and have some comfort foods on hand. 

evil_physics_witchcraft

Tonight was leftover/fend for yourself night.

I had:

Beverage = a Coke.

Main = Cheese quesadilla, rice, mandarin orange and fruit cup.

Dessert = Magnum ice cream bar.

SO had:

Beverage = a Coke.

Main = Beef burrito.

Dessert = Magnum ice cream bar.

AmLitHist

It's cold, rainy, and dreary here, so it's chili for supper.  (Plus, I need something to look forward to as a reward for grading all day.....again.)

secundem_artem

A screwed up home variation on nasi goreng that no real Indonesian would ever recognize.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

OneMoreYear

Dinner: Paneer tikka masala--spicy version because SO's heat tolerance is fairly extreme.
Drink--local apple cider.
To drink later when I'm cursing at my grading pile--Maerzen

evil_physics_witchcraft

Tonight is our soup/sandwich night. We took leftover burrito mix from Thursday (beef, black bean, green pepper, corn) and made soup! I blended it a bit to give it a smoother texture, spiced it, added water and a little cheese.

Beverage = Hot Tea + Sugar

Main = Black Bean Leftover Soup + Cheese Quesadillas

Dessert = Ice Cream

mamselle

Ummm...sounds good.

California Pizza Kitchen used to have a really good Tortilla Soup like that.

In other repeat-and eat dinner news, I heated up the rest of the fish pie...it was still good.

We are all so lucky.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ab_grp

We also had soup and sandwich night! We just had tomato soup with two grilled cheeses split.  One was Swiss, bacon, tomato.   The other was provolone, roasted jalapenos, bacon, Dijon.  Both were on rye, and I won't tell you how old it was, but... it worked out.  We also had leftover potato skins, which I forgot we had on hand.

mamselle

Yum!

I'm munching on a toasted muffin with melted Muenster cheese (interthreadulity).

I'm pondering adding curry spices to the fish dish and turning it into a fish currry....for dinner, that is...

M.

ab_grp

We had planned an easy dinner of leftover steak with roasted asparagus, cherry tomatoes, and sweet and min potatoes last night.   Then someone (me) got the bright idea of making some potato skins again to have with the steak and saving the other potatoes for breakfast so that spouse would have a more filling meal to carry him through the day at the work site.  Of course, by the time we had the potato skins nearly complete, I mentioned that honestly I kind of felt like just having the potato skins at that point.  He was thinking the same thing, so we just went with potato skins.  And are not using the other potatoes for breakfast anyway! But we can have the leftover steak and stuff tonight.  This time, we carved out a bit more potato, which I think helped.