News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

My Campus Is A Hot Zone For Contagious Disease

Started by spork, February 18, 2020, 03:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spork

I don't think I've ever before encountered such a large percentage of sick students. Sentinel providers in the state are reporting to the CDC a prevalence of patient visits due to influenza-like illness that is 30 percent higher than it was at the same time last year. I had a head cold last week, but so far no symptoms indicating anything more serious, which I attribute to my practices of not touching door handles, using alcohol gel frequently throughout the day, and irrigating my nasal passages with a neti pot when I get home.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Parasaurolophus

I feel like I'm the hot zone this year. It's a seamless transition from one flu or cold to the next.
I know it's a genus.

nescafe

We have a collection of N95 masks in the dept. We bought them for wildfires, but they could double for this. I haven't tried lecturing in one, though.

Caracal

Quote from: spork on February 18, 2020, 03:26:46 PM
I don't think I've ever before encountered such a large percentage of sick students. Sentinel providers in the state are reporting to the CDC a prevalence of patient visits due to influenza-like illness that is 30 percent higher than it was at the same time last year. I had a head cold last week, but so far no symptoms indicating anything more serious, which I attribute to my practices of not touching door handles, using alcohol gel frequently throughout the day, and irrigating my nasal passages with a neti pot when I get home.

How does one not touch door handles?

apl68

Quote from: Caracal on February 19, 2020, 07:11:10 AM

It's a Jedi thing.

But I assume spork is referring to an avoidance of direct contact between door handles and skin.
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.

spork

It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

marshwiggle

Quote from: apl68 on February 19, 2020, 07:18:34 AM

It's a Jedi thing.

This isn't the classroom you were looking for.
It takes so little to be above average.

backatit

And this is why I love teaching fully online. No more students coughing in my face: "Dr. Backatit, I dragged myself in to turn in this paper..."

Note: I realize I could prevent this just by enforcing an "e-mail me your paper if you're sick" rule, but students don't always KNOW they're sick...

Caracal

Quote from: backatit on February 19, 2020, 07:25:19 AM
And this is why I love teaching fully online. No more students coughing in my face: "Dr. Backatit, I dragged myself in to turn in this paper..."

Note: I realize I could prevent this just by enforcing an "e-mail me your paper if you're sick" rule, but students don't always KNOW they're sick...

Students are far less of a threat than the constant stream of viruses I get from my toddler's daycare. I make sure to wash my hands well before I eat, but anything else seems like overkill.

backatit

Quote from: Caracal on February 19, 2020, 07:56:19 AM
Quote from: backatit on February 19, 2020, 07:25:19 AM

Students are far less of a threat than the constant stream of viruses I get from my toddler's daycare. I make sure to wash my hands well before I eat, but anything else seems like overkill.

True; all of my kids are grown, and that actually coincided with moving to teaching fully online, so it was probably a combination of things.

Aster

Our Faculty-Only restrooms have certainly gotten a lot more dedicated use in the last few weeks.

hungry_ghost

Quote from: spork on February 19, 2020, 07:20:26 AM
Yes. I use a jacket sleeve or a paper towel.

I don't think I've willingly touched a door handle or elevator button in public since 2003 (SARS).
Elevator button = key.
Door handle = sleeve or paper towel. When I'm wearing short sleeves, if no one is around, I've been known to pull up my shirt and hold the handle through my shirt if no paper towels are available. Or wait for someone else and catch the door with my foot.
Escalators are the worst ...

Caracal

Quote from: hungry_ghost on February 19, 2020, 06:10:33 PM

Quote from: spork on February 19, 2020, 07:20:26 AM
Yes. I use a jacket sleeve or a paper towel.

I don't think I've willingly touched a door handle or elevator button in public since 2003 (SARS).
Elevator button = key.
Door handle = sleeve or paper towel. When I'm wearing short sleeves, if no one is around, I've been known to pull up my shirt and hold the handle through my shirt if no paper towels are available. Or wait for someone else and catch the door with my foot.
Escalators are the worst ...

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I wonder if that is really particularly protective. Germs can go on your sleeves and easily be transferred into your nose or mouth from there. You also probably touch your sleeve at various times throughout the day and then you just get the germs anyway. Hands seems better since you can wash them regularly.

https://www.citylab.com/life/2015/03/pretty-much-all-of-your-weird-germ-avoidance-behaviors-are-pointless/386015/

Key quote: The bottom line is that you shouldn't live in fear of high-traffic surfaces. According to Blaser, this type of contact simply isn't the way people get sick. "We don't get much disease from surfaces," he says.

polly_mer

Quote from: Caracal on February 20, 2020, 04:19:46 AM
Key quote: The bottom line is that you shouldn't live in fear of high-traffic surfaces. According to Blaser, this type of contact simply isn't the way people get sick. "We don't get much disease from surfaces," he says.

The CDC recommends disinfecting frequently touched surfaces in schools: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/school/cleaning.htm

The CDC recommends disinfecting frequently touched surfaces at work: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/actions-prevent-flu.htm

That's why the CDC lists surfaces as a concern to help prevent the spread of infections in hospitals: https://www.cdc.gov/infectioncontrol/spread/index.html

Always wash one's hands for the recommended time using soap tops every list, but germs spread through surfaces are a thing.  Mythbusters did a piece on it and found many common objects are dirtier than a toilet seat including nastier germs.  The typical suggestion is to use a paper towel on the restroom door instead of a sleeve due to cross-contamination.

Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Caracal

Quote from: polly_mer on February 20, 2020, 06:07:17 AM
Quote from: Caracal on February 20, 2020, 04:19:46 AM

The CDC recommends disinfecting frequently touched surfaces in schools: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/school/cleaning.htm

The CDC recommends disinfecting frequently touched surfaces at work: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/actions-prevent-flu.htm

That's why the CDC lists surfaces as a concern to help prevent the spread of infections in hospitals: https://www.cdc.gov/infectioncontrol/spread/index.html

Always wash one's hands for the recommended time using soap tops every list, but germs spread through surfaces are a thing.  Mythbusters did a piece on it and found many common objects are dirtier than a toilet seat including nastier germs.  The typical suggestion is to use a paper towel on the restroom door instead of a sleeve due to cross-contamination.

There's a difference between public health measures and personal precautions. Hospitals are places with particularly vulnerable people particularly susceptible to infections. Obviously it makes sense to make sure surfaces are being cleaned regularly and the same is true in any kind of building being used by large numbers of people.  Notice, however, that the CDC is not recommending that individuals should avoid touching door handles. That's because there's really no evidence that this kind of individual action is going to make much difference. As the other article points out, you aren't really likely to be exposed to viruses in this manner in the first place and even if you are, the basic advice about washing your hands regularly and avoiding touching your face is going to be a lot more effective than trying to not touch anything.