Covid-19 Response: Evidence of How Higher Ed Can Be Completely Restructured?

Started by spork, March 11, 2020, 07:57:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spork

It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Durchlässigkeitsbeiwert

Quote from: spork on August 15, 2020, 10:44:10 AM
New York Times: As Colleges Move Classes Online, Families Rebel Against the Cost
It is hard to commiserate when article starts with a story of an unhappy student, who gets to live in a $1200-a-month apartment rented by parents. The article continues on with stories of upper middle class "woes" using "prime rib" metaphors.
Without knowing the actual issues the article mostly glosses over, I would have reveled in my schadenfreude.

spork

Inside Higher Ed is reporting that the University of Iowa will eliminate its programs in men's gymnastics, men's and women's swimming and diving, and men's tennis because of a projected $100 million decline in athletics revenue.

I say eliminate all athletics and see what happens to the total university operations budget.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

dismalist

Quote from: spork on August 21, 2020, 01:58:15 PM
Inside Higher Ed is reporting that the University of Iowa will eliminate its programs in men's gymnastics, men's and women's swimming and diving, and men's tennis because of a projected $100 million decline in athletics revenue.

I say eliminate all athletics and see what happens to the total university operations budget.

Aw, hell, Spork, I say do swimming and especially diving on-line! :-)

The on-line requirement is a path to unbundling, but, alas, it's reversible.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

FishProf

I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

apl68

On-line diving.  Does that mean diving with a camera so that spectators online can come along for the ride?  Because that might actually be pretty exciting.
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.

FishProf

My school just announced that there will be no more snow days.  If the campus is closed, you still meet your class online.

When asked about the f2f-only classes, the answer was - they need to teach online too.

I have a few faculty members who are balking, hard

apl68

I wonder how much longer snow days will even be a thing in our region?  Snow itself is rapidly becoming a thing of the past here.
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: apl68 on September 15, 2020, 08:18:45 AM
I wonder how much longer snow days will even be a thing in our region?  Snow itself is rapidly becoming a thing of the past here.

Yeah, I think they're goners. It's too bad, because they're one of the absolute joys of being a kid. But then again, there's hardly any snow where I live now to begin with. Freezing rain days aren't anything like as fun for anyone as snow days are/were.

Regions that get lots of snow usually bet on a certain number of snow days in the schedule, though, so I'm not sure how or whether they'll adjust that.
I know it's a genus.

spork

Quote from: FishProf on September 15, 2020, 07:29:12 AM
My school just announced that there will be no more snow days.  If the campus is closed, you still meet your class online.

When asked about the f2f-only classes, the answer was - they need to teach online too.

By f2f-only, do you mean courses like science labs?

FishProf

Quote from: spork on September 15, 2020, 08:38:49 AM
Quote from: FishProf on September 15, 2020, 07:29:12 AM

By f2f-only, do you mean courses like science labs?

Some, yes.  But also f2f lecture-only classes.

apl68

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on September 15, 2020, 08:34:41 AM

Regions that get lots of snow usually bet on a certain number of snow days in the schedule, though, so I'm not sure how or whether they'll adjust that.

It's going to be a challenge.  I've seen projections that for the next couple of decades regions that still get a lot of snow will have wild swings between very little snow one year and exceptionally severe snowfalls the next.  Then in the following decades it will peter out altogether, like we're seeing now farther south.

So in the near term some places might be seeing no snow days at all one year, then a bunch of them the next, then maybe one or two after that. 

FishProf

Caracal

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on September 15, 2020, 08:34:41 AM
Quote from: apl68 on September 15, 2020, 08:18:45 AM

Yeah, I think they're goners. It's too bad, because they're one of the absolute joys of being a kid. But then again, there's hardly any snow where I live now to begin with. Freezing rain days aren't anything like as fun for anyone as snow days are/were.

In general, climate change isn't going to result in less snow. In fact, it might result in more, at least as far as I understand it. I'm sure it might vary by local area, but we should actually expect more extreme weather of all kinds.