News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

April writing challenge

Started by Puget, March 28, 2020, 06:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JCu16

Today's Goal: Write 30 minutes of the results towards the current paper of focus.

JCu16

Today's Goal: Write 30 minutes of the results towards the current paper of focus.

Mission completed for the day, and finding this seriously productive. 696 words towards the results of this paper - making solid progress.

Wife worked towards a couple of writing tasks (paper and proposal), logging 485 words.

Parasaurolophus

Another Monday, another goal.

Modest again, because there's a ton of teaching stuff to do today:

• 200 words of the chapter, which ought to finish up a section.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on April 06, 2020, 07:27:39 AM
Another Monday, another goal.

Modest again, because there's a ton of teaching stuff to do today:

• 200 words of the chapter, which ought to finish up a section.

422 words. There will have to be a cull when I'm done with this bugger.
I know it's a genus.

Puget

Quote from: Puget on April 06, 2020, 06:17:48 AM
Good morning writers!
I completely failed to do my writing task on Friday (got derailed by endless Zoom meetings and grading), but I'm going to get back on track with it today!

Today's goal: Spend at least 30 min. on the long-neglected collaborative pre-registration

Spent more than 30 min., though I didn't get as far as I had hoped. Will work on it again tomorrow.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Puget

A busy day of Zoom meetings today, so I will set the modest goal of another 30 min. of working on the preregistration, but with the stretch goal of finishing the intro revisions.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."

Parasaurolophus

Busy day here too, so:

• 200 words, which ought to finish another section
I know it's a genus.

AvidReader

Good afternoon, all!

Today I must finish a grant application and a job application. I'm hoping that posting here will provide added motivation.

JCu16

So didn't post my goal, but managed to find 30 minutes to write this afternoon. Managed to scrape out 250 words on a new article and on a proposal, but really couldn't find my flow, plus burnt out from teaching.

hungry_ghost

Quote from: hungry_ghost on April 03, 2020, 05:16:24 PM
Yesterday was a wash.
Today I revised the next subsection of the introduction. I got it done but spent far too long doing it.
For tonight:
  • Re-read the next subsection and think.
I got this done then someone I liked a lot (but didn't know well) died. I was upset so I didn't write for a few days. But I want to finish this book, a lot of people are dying, and what if I'm next? Plus writing is a good escape from thinking about politics, plague, and pestilence. So I got back to work today. Morbid, I know.

Anyhow, at last I did this (again, spending far too long on it, hard to focus):

• Revise the next section. This might take 2 days.
Tomorrow, I'll move on to tackle the next section. It is 3200 words of fluffy mess, hope to work through and reduce at least the first part (1200 words) and sketch out a plan for dealing with the second part.

Stay healthy everyone and keep writing.

AvidReader

Today I must finish a grant application and a job application.

I didn't think I would make it, but then I realized that the job application was due tonight--so now that is finished, and I am going to proofread the grant application tomorrow.

My spouse works in a medical-related field and has just gotten a new job, so we will be moving this coming weekend to a temporary house near that position. After the move, I think I'll be able to establish a better routine.

I'm so sorry for your loss, hungry_ghost.

AR.

Puget

Likewise sorry for your loss, hungry_ghost! Be gentle with yourself if you are not being very productive for a while.

Quote from: Puget on April 07, 2020, 06:58:19 AM
A busy day of Zoom meetings today, so I will set the modest goal of another 30 min. of working on the preregistration, but with the stretch goal of finishing the intro revisions.

Didn't quite make the stretch goal, but I'm pretty close. Goal for tomorrow is to finish the intro and do at least 30 min. on the methods and analysis plan. Stretch goal is to finish those and request co-authors give final input before we preregister.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on April 07, 2020, 07:02:16 AM
Busy day here too, so:

• 200 words, which ought to finish another section

Juuuuuust barely. Too many interferences today.

My condolences, hungry_ghost.
I know it's a genus.

JCu16

Morning All,

Getting started with a response to reviews I need to get done, going to spend 30 minutes hashing out the rough.

JCu16

Quote from: JCu16 on April 08, 2020, 05:13:20 AM
Morning All,

Getting started with a response to reviews I need to get done, going to spend 30 minutes hashing out the rough.

Rough response done. A rather bizarre and privileged reviewer provided some entertainment, but managed to get 700 words together.