News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

April writing challenge

Started by Puget, March 28, 2020, 06:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JCu16

Failed to succeed yesterday, but today had to write up a page panel summary for a project, so going to call that success. Wife also succeeded today with a 30 minute stint writing, so making progress.

Almost to the bottom of my grading pile (how do English professors handle reading so many papers - 10 of these 12 pages and I'm struggling), so looking forward to making some progress over the next few days until the deluge begins again.

Wahoo Redux

Removed 300 or so words (a tangent) and reworked the idea in about 200 words.  Still not done though.  A little desperate to finish the article, which is not always a good way to generate quality material. 

English profs simply plow through grading.  We get good at reading quickly and deciphering issues quickly. 
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

JCu16

Goal today is to read and edit 3 manuscripts I have from coauthors, and spend 30 minutes writing on the topic of choice.

I've already got through 1 of the manuscripts, 2 left to do.

hungry_ghost

I had a great writing day today, but I've had a hard time staying on it every single day. Yet clearly this is what I need to do.
I usually write at home and do teaching tasks in my office, but somehow not going anywhere has really thrown me off.  So I'm going to try a slightly different version of this challenge.
My plan for the week (measuring minutes instead of words since I'm at the revising, cutting, and reorganizing stage):

• Monday: 20 minutes on a timer, before noon
  • Tuesday: 60 minutes on a timer
  • Wednesday: 60 minutes on a timer
  • Thursday: 45 minutes on a timer, before 1pm
  • Friday: 45 minutes on a timer + plot the weekend

JCu16

Was unsuccessful in finishing another of the manuscripts, but got about halfway there. Writing goal for today is to add another 30 minutes of effort into either a proposal or a paper. Overall goal is to knock off another one of these coauthor manuscripts.

Puget

Good morning writers! I'm back from my Passover mini-break and feeling refreshed.

Today's goal:
Finally finish up collaborative preregistration (some technical bits of methods section left, which will take a bit of research to finalize) and ping co-authors to take a look.

In good news, R&R we resubmitted on the 6th was accepted on the 10th with no further revisions (editor must have approved it without sending back out to reviewers, which we weren't sure would be the case). I'm especially pleased with this one because it started as an honors thesis and the kick-ass former honors student who will probably be applying to PhD programs this year and my senior grad student are co-first on it, so a nice CV addition for both of them.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

hungry_ghost

Quote from: hungry_ghost on April 12, 2020, 06:46:12 PM
My plan for the week (measuring minutes instead of words since I'm at the revising, cutting, and reorganizing stage):

• Monday: 20 minutes on a timer, before noon
  • Tuesday: 60 minutes on a timer
  • Wednesday: 60 minutes on a timer
  • Thursday: 45 minutes on a timer, before 1pm
  • Friday: 45 minutes on a timer + plot the weekend

Good luck everyone!

Morden

Congrats Puget! Today I will hopefully have more success reworking the next section of the intro, but before I get there, I have to do a bunch of housekeeping emails for a different research project--hopefully that counts as writing too.

att_mtt

Just finished with my Friday goal, haha.
Oh well. Today's goal: 1 more figure (requires data analyses) and incorporating it into the results section.
Also, plan future steps in order to resubmit this beast in two weeks...

Parasaurolophus

Wow, that was fast, Puget! Congratulations!

For today:

• Cut 200 words.
I know it's a genus.

att_mtt

Quote from: att_mtt on April 13, 2020, 11:01:23 AM
Just finished with my Friday goal, haha.
Oh well. Today's goal: 1 more figure (requires data analyses) and incorporating it into the results section.
Also, plan future steps in order to resubmit this beast in two weeks...

Finished this. Yay! This is definitely helping...

Morden

OK. I finished up one section and have been stymied for the next for a while now. Starting tomorrow I will try a radical slashing and reorg. to see if that helps.

darkstarrynight

I feel badly about not checking in here, but my coauthor and I submitted our revised manuscript last Friday, meeting the deadline which was not extended. I have a soft deadline this week that I made a lot of progress on today. One of my recent publications was selected to be featured in a practitioner newsletter, which is actually a really big deal in my field. It basically means the implications from my research could have immediate impact because anyone who has the power to implement my suggestions will read about it in plain language! My coauthors and I just have to cut it down to something shorter without citations and consider our audience. It is the most public/widely read my work might ever be, and I am so excited about it! That is good motivation to finish it as soon as we can!

PS-I finished a review for a journal today too, woohoo!

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

JCu16

Quote from: JCu16 on April 13, 2020, 06:33:51 AM
Was unsuccessful in finishing another of the manuscripts, but got about halfway there. Writing goal for today is to add another 30 minutes of effort into either a proposal or a paper. Overall goal is to knock off another one of these coauthor manuscripts.

Didn't make quite through that manuscript as it needed significant attention - ended up being a significant amount of rewriting. Hoping to finish it in the morning. Didn't get a chance to do my own writing as teaching responsibilities crept up.