News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

April writing challenge

Started by Puget, March 28, 2020, 06:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkstarrynight

Thanks for the cheers!

On the very lagging project, my new colleague pointed out to me yesterday after I posted that what I thought were completed spreadsheets of analyzed data, I had only finished "one tab" on a huge set of tabs within each sheet. I cracked up because I am that "off" lately, but at least I can attest that there is always more research and writing to do!

Parasaurolophus

Long marking day ahead, but I'd like to:

• Have a last look at my chapter and maybe send it off.
  • Write another 200 or so words of the new paper.
  • Start working on a referee report.
I know it's a genus.

hungry_ghost

Quote from: hungry_ghost on April 12, 2020, 06:46:12 PM
My plan for the week (measuring minutes instead of words since I'm at the revising, cutting, and reorganizing stage):

• Monday: 20 minutes on a timer, before noon
  • Tuesday: 60 minutes on a timer
  • Wednesday: 60 minutes on a timer, before noon
  • Thursday: 45 minutes on a timer, before 1pm
  • Friday: 45 minutes on a timer + plot the weekend

Only got to do 30 minutes today, and after 5pm (so much for my "before noon" fantasy) and what I wrote was word vomit, but I did it.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on April 16, 2020, 09:32:49 AM
Long marking day ahead, but I'd like to:

• Have a last look at my chapter and maybe send it off.
  • Write another 200 or so words of the new paper.
  • Start working on a referee report.

I've become tired, and have a number of further household chores to attend to, so I'm going to throw in the towel tonight. It was a very productive day and I put a large dent in my marking, so I don't mind not having worked on the new paper.
I know it's a genus.

Puget

I got pulled into a last minute meeting for a grant application I'm involved in yesterday yesterday (reviews finally came and we are trying to do a revision in 2 weeks-- fun times!), and didn't end up getting to my writing task. But I did meet with another collaborator to plan a new paper, so I'm counting that as writing.

Today: at least 30 min. planning revisions on the long-neglected paper, for real this time.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Parasaurolophus

• 200 words or so of new paper
  • half an hour on the referee report
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on April 17, 2020, 08:58:58 AM

• 200 words or so of new paper
  • half an hour on the referee report

600 words of the former, 808 of the latter. Whew!
I know it's a genus.

JCu16

Fell off the wagon a little this week for writing, consumed by a deluge of hundreds of emails and a number of coding tasks for student requests and research. Definitely a crazy amount of writing done though, just none of that really productive.

So far today, managed to spend a solid half hour on writing this new proposal (578 words), while the other half wrote up an idea for a new experiment (449 words).

Yesterday I had meetings for a new large fieldwork proposal where I planned out the teams, meeting with a collaborator for a paper to help finalize toward writeup, so I think those two count as well based on the Puget standard ;)

Morden

I've been doing other stuff too this week. But back at it now. Goal this morning, remember where I was and write my way into logical next section,

Morden

I had a productive day slashing my way through the introduction.

JCu16

Managed to make a good start to the day with a solid 30 minute session. Net result of a page toward this newish paper (I have about 10 papers at various states of completion, hence I bounce around), hard to quantify as there was quite a bit of editing as well for this one.

Tasks for the rest of the half day:
Finish code for a graduate student.
Do some analysis for paper that just needs this one figure to be finished.
Finish a 2nd round paper review.
Work on minor revisions for a paper (a welcome smaller set after the responses to round one were no less than 40 pages!)

JCu16

Quote from: JCu16 on April 19, 2020, 05:12:46 AM
Managed to make a good start to the day with a solid 30 minute session. Net result of a page toward this newish paper (I have about 10 papers at various states of completion, hence I bounce around), hard to quantify as there was quite a bit of editing as well for this one.

Tasks for the rest of the half day:
Finish code for a graduate student.
Do some analysis for paper that just needs this one figure to be finished.
Finish a 2nd round paper review.
Work on minor revisions for a paper (a welcome smaller set after the responses to round one were no less than 40 pages!)
2/4 done for the day. Shame I couldn't submit the review as the system went down, but its done, and ready to upload in the morning. Hoping to tackle the other two tomorrow.

Parasaurolophus

Have to take the ferry into town today, which will be a whole thing. So I'll unambitiously say:

• 200 words of referee report
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on April 20, 2020, 09:11:41 AM
Have to take the ferry into town today, which will be a whole thing. So I'll unambitiously say:

• 200 words of referee report

791. Off I go!
I know it's a genus.

hungry_ghost

Quote from: hungry_ghost on April 12, 2020, 06:46:12 PM
My plan for the week (measuring minutes instead of words since I'm at the revising, cutting, and reorganizing stage):

• Monday: 20 minutes on a timer, before noon
  • Tuesday: 60 minutes on a timer
  • Thursday: 45 minutes on a timer, before 1pm
  • Friday: 45 minutes on a timer + plot the weekend

Did not get to plot the weekend, which was spent in grading jail.
Now, for the coming week:
  • Monday: 20 minutes of planning in the evening
  • Tuesday: 60 minutes on a timer, before 2pm
  • Thursday: 60 minutes on a timer, before noon*
  • Friday: 2 hours! + plot the weekend
*Thursday: unless I am unable to talk my way out of stupid meeting, in which case it will be after noon