News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

April writing challenge

Started by Puget, March 28, 2020, 06:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Today, I'll try to work on the referee report for a couple hours, or finish it. Whichever comes first.
I know it's a genus.

att_mtt

Today:
rewrite my introduction
To do so, read 4 different papers to get a better overview

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on April 21, 2020, 10:22:45 AM
Today, I'll try to work on the referee report for a couple hours, or finish it. Whichever comes first.

Done, and discovered that I reached the same verdict as R2 (R&R), for the same reasons. I love it when that happens.
I know it's a genus.

att_mtt

Quote from: att_mtt on April 21, 2020, 10:25:32 AM
Today:
rewrite my introduction
To do so, read 4 different papers to get a better overview

Done.
Now I will have to check what I wrote tomorrow and hopefully still like it :D

Puget

I keep forgetting to post, but I did finally break my resistance to the long neglected paper and started plotting out the revisions. Not as much progress as I was hoping for with end of semester stuff, but getting started was big psychologically for me.

For tomorrow:
Almost final edits on grad student #3's paper
At least 30 min. plotting out revisions on long neglected paper
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

hungry_ghost

Quote from: hungry_ghost on April 20, 2020, 11:14:39 AM
  • Monday: 20 minutes of planning in the evening
  • Tuesday: 60 minutes on a timer, before 2pm
  • Wednesday: 60 minutes on a timer, before noon
  • Thursday: 60 minutes on a timer, before noon*
  • Friday: 2 hours! + plot the weekend
*Thursday: unless I am unable to talk my way out of stupid meeting, in which case it will be after noon

Monday did not happen.
Tuesday: done but with interruptions
Wednesday: still in grading jail, but perhaps this afternoon?
tomorrow's meeting may be off! then I can catch up

Parasaurolophus

I've gotta go to grading jail myself today, so I'll be happy if I get a few hundred words in on New Paper 1.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on April 22, 2020, 09:24:42 AM
I've gotta go to grading jail myself today, so I'll be happy if I get a few hundred words in on New Paper 1.

Done. And I've been paroled, too.
I know it's a genus.

Puget

Quote from: Puget on April 21, 2020, 06:34:44 PM

Met both these goals yesterday. Today is a heavy meeting/teaching day, but I'm going to do at least another 30 min on long neglected paper.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."

Parasaurolophus

Yet more grading needs doing, and other things. So, modestly:

• 200 words of New Paper 1
I know it's a genus.

Morden

Good news--book got accepted! Now, I really do have to finish revising that intro. Today's goal is to push through next section (approx. 600 words to rework).

att_mtt

Yeah! Congrats on the books! That's awesome.
I am finished with my writing goals for today as well, paper revision finished (for now).

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Morden on April 23, 2020, 09:25:37 AM
Good news--book got accepted! Now, I really do have to finish revising that intro. Today's goal is to push through next section (approx. 600 words to rework).

Fantastic, congratulations!

For my part:

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on April 23, 2020, 08:56:13 AM

• 200 words of New Paper 1

357, and done. Unfortunately, in the process I also discovered that I'd meant to write three other papers for nearing deadlines!
I know it's a genus.

Morden

Forgot to check out yesterday--work completed on that part.
and forgot to check in today but completed that goal too--revisions on a different paper.

Puget

Congrats Mordan on the book acceptance! Hope you find a way to celebrate this weekend!

Quote from: Puget on April 23, 2020, 06:47:33 AM
Quote from: Puget on April 21, 2020, 06:34:44 PM

Met both these goals yesterday. Today is a heavy meeting/teaching day, but I'm going to do at least another 30 min on long neglected paper.

If flaked on this yesterday, in part because of some unexpected tasks that got dropped on me, in part because of continued resistance. But I got back on course today and did a solid hour. I'm now through mapping out responses to the editor and reviewer 1. I now have the harder task left of dealing with the dreaded reviewer 2.

I don't know if it will be possible, but I'd really like to finish up this month with this paper finally resubmitted. I'm at least going to try to get close.