News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

April writing challenge

Started by Puget, March 28, 2020, 06:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Today's a day devoted to all of my ancillary marking, minus last-minute stragglers, so I'll be modest again and hope to exceed the goal:

• An hour's tidying and re-writing of a mostly extant paper I want to be able to send out soon.
I know it's a genus.

Puget

Quote from: Puget on April 24, 2020, 12:17:49 PM
Congrats Mordan on the book acceptance! Hope you find a way to celebrate this weekend!

Quote from: Puget on April 23, 2020, 06:47:33 AM
Quote from: Puget on April 21, 2020, 06:34:44 PM
Almost final edits on grad student #3's paper
At least 30 min. plotting out revisions on long neglected paper

Met both these goals yesterday. Today is a heavy meeting/teaching day, but I'm going to do at least another 30 min on long neglected paper.

If flaked on this yesterday, in part because of some unexpected tasks that got dropped on me, in part because of continued resistance. But I got back on course today and did a solid hour. I'm now through mapping out responses to the editor and reviewer 1. I now have the harder task left of dealing with the dreaded reviewer 2.

I don't know if it will be possible, but I'd really like to finish up this month with this paper finally resubmitted. I'm at least going to try to get close.

Bonus writing task for today: just finished meeting with collaborator and we drafted the outline of the preregistration for a paper in real time on google docs and have a plan to mobilize or respective grad students to start drafting it.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on April 24, 2020, 01:09:39 PM

• An hour's tidying and re-writing of a mostly extant paper I want to be able to send out soon.

Forgot to check back in yesterday. Managed it, but I'm not very happy with the progress. Every time I wade into that paper I feel stuck in an unstructured fog which should be a lot easier to cut through than it is. It feels like I should be close to done, but it doesn't look it.
I know it's a genus.

Wahoo Redux

I too peer through the fog.  I feel'ya there, P.

Nevertheless, defined the material for the introduction, edited down and expanded some parts.  Much work still to go.  Bogged down in research.

Almost 500 words into feature article on college closing.  Helped to define next article when an alumni slipped me a letter from the president of a certain regional college.  Found a potential outlet to pitch to.

Crafting a creative manuscript for upcoming contest.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

JCu16

Have been making regular progress on work, just struggling to find time to post about it here (and remember to do so). Grading pile has mostly been defeated for the moment, with classes wrapping up this week.

Todays goal was to write a section missing from the paper that I've promised myself must be done by the end of the month, and managed to get the 550 words needed to espouse it fairly efficiently in about 45 minutes.

Other goals today:

• Read revisions and responses to reviewer for the last paper with my finished Ph.D. student.
  • Finishing revising a coauthor paper.
  • Get the last figure for the April paper done! (Only takes 6 hours of computations per panel).

Puget

Today I have to give feedback on two honors thesis drafts and do a paper review, so not too much time for my own writing, but I will again do at least 30 min. on long neglected paper.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."

att_mtt

Today:
-go back to literature review (30 mins)
-start draft for manuscript (45 mins)

Parasaurolophus

Somewhat busy day today, so the goal will just be 30 mins. to 1 hr on that foggy paper.
I know it's a genus.

Sun_Worshiper

Before the end of the month, I have three tasks:
1. Wrap up an R&R and send it to my co-author to submit
2. Write a one page proposal for a edited volume chapter
3. Submit a funding proposal (which is essentially done)

All fairly light jobs, but busy with lots of end-of-the-semester tasks and meetings.

Puget

Quote from: Puget on April 27, 2020, 06:27:19 AM
Today I have to give feedback on two honors thesis drafts and do a paper review, so not too much time for my own writing, but I will again do at least 30 min. on long neglected paper.

Didn't get to it till after dinner and almost didn't do it, but made myself start with a timer and ended up working past the end of it for a solid hour total.

Grad student #3 also submitted her paper today! It got rejected from the first journal we submitted to which shook her confidence a bit despite my efforts to buck her up and explain this is just how it goes, so I'm hoping for better luck with this journal. I think its even better with the revisions she made and that the journal is probably a better fit, so I'm guardedly optimistic.

Did not however get to the paper review, which is now late, so will have to do it tomorrow. Tomorrow is my last class of the semester, and while paper grading pain is coming, I should have more time for writing after that.

Writing goals for tomorrow:
Feedback to PIs on grant revision draft
Another 30 min on paper

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on April 27, 2020, 09:43:45 AM
Somewhat busy day today, so the goal will just be 30 mins. to 1 hr on that foggy paper.

I'm quite tired, so I only managed the bare minimum. But there's some sort of shape taking... shape. I think I'll try to patch this together by the end of the month, so that it can go out. I'm somewhat tempted to send it to a lower-tier journal with a call out on for contributions on a relevant theme. Guess I'll mull it over.

In other news, my weird creative piece has been accepted for the volume, and the editor called it "brilliant", so. That's a nice pat on my broad shoulders!
I know it's a genus.

JCu16

Quote from: JCu16 on April 27, 2020, 05:49:34 AM
Have been making regular progress on work, just struggling to find time to post about it here (and remember to do so). Grading pile has mostly been defeated for the moment, with classes wrapping up this week.

Todays goal was to write a section missing from the paper that I've promised myself must be done by the end of the month, and managed to get the 550 words needed to espouse it fairly efficiently in about 45 minutes.

Other goals today:

• Read revisions and responses to reviewer for the last paper with my finished Ph.D. student.
  • Finishing revising a coauthor paper.
  • Get the last figure for the April paper done! (Only takes 6 hours of computations per panel).
Student paper issue dealt with (really difficult reviewer), only managed a partial on the figure, ran into a few computational challenges. Then got eaten by the big grading monster and admin tasks. Reboot tomorrow to try and get these things done. Writing will be a preliminary proposal for a contract.

Parasaurolophus

Taking it relatively easy today, but I'm aiming for at least an hour cutting through that foggy paper and letting the sun shine in on it.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on April 28, 2020, 09:36:24 AM
Taking it relatively easy today, but I'm aiming for at least an hour cutting through that foggy paper and letting the sun shine in on it.

Some progress is being made. And I've decided not to submit it to that special issue, and to aim higher instead.

Unfortunately, it's not actually very good yet. Nor even decent. =p
I know it's a genus.

Puget

Quote from: Puget on April 27, 2020, 06:10:14 PM
Writing goals for tomorrow:
Feedback to PIs on grant revision draft
Another 30 min on paper

Had the grant meeting and we decided to wait till July to submit, so further work on that is off my plate for now.
Did not get to the paper yesterday, so my goal is to make up for it and do at least an hour today.