News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Using Respondus Lockdown Browser for Online Tests? Worth it?

Started by downer, March 30, 2020, 06:00:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

downer

I've tried this and some students worked it out, while others had troubles.

The idea is that their computers get locked down while they are taking the test.

Wouldn't a smart cheater just borrow another laptop to use while taking the test on their main laptop? Or  just use their phone?
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Caracal

Quote from: downer on March 30, 2020, 06:00:20 AM
I've tried this and some students worked it out, while others had troubles.

The idea is that their computers get locked down while they are taking the test.

Wouldn't a smart cheater just borrow another laptop to use while taking the test on their main laptop? Or  just use their phone?

Yes, it seems totally pointless, which is my basic feeling about all of these online anti cheating systems. Even the ones with video camera monitoring seem like they would be fairly easy to get around for a student determined to do so. It also feels a little icky to be insisting that students install weird invasive software on their computer. Better to try to find exams where cheating would provide minimal benefits.

apl68

I've had to use Respondus when proctoring exams on library computers.  It's very awkward to install on a library network computer.  We were at least able to monitor the student to make sure that was the only computer used.
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.

dr_codex

So is the consensus that Respondus is useless? We have a free trial, and we are also trying to figure out how to proctor several hundred exams in the summer.
back to the books.

marshwiggle

I've never used it myself, but I saw a presentation by a Psych faculty member who has used it many times with classes of hundreds.

The grades tracked pretty closely with in-person proctored exams, so there's no obvious greater rate of cheating. Stupid cheaters were caught easily, as the video record usually makes it clear how they cheated. Many students seem to feel that the video is never actually going to be viewed.

If I  had to give big online exams, based on what I saw, I'd be reasonably confident in the system. (And many faculty have pointed out that in some large rooms, even face-to-face proctoring is very difficult.)

It takes so little to be above average.

polly_mer

Quote from: dr_codex on March 30, 2020, 11:07:43 AM
So is the consensus that Respondus is useless? We have a free trial, and we are also trying to figure out how to proctor several hundred exams in the summer.

When most people only had easy access to one computer with internet access, locking down the browser currently accessing the internet was of some benefit.

Now? 

I am currently sitting with three internet-enabled devices within arm's reach.  I frequently use one device to look up troubleshooting tips for another device.  It would be annoying and moderately expensive to use my flip phone to look up anything, but it'll do it.  Even my kid's 6-year-old Nabi with a seriously locked down access to the internet would allow me to look up tips were I in that great a need.  I have a landline and can call other people who have internet-enabled devices who will look things up for me if I mention I don't have internet (again, as happened just yesterday).

The only people slowed down in these scenarios are those who are already below the technology line and probably went to great lengths to get sole use of a device to take the exam online. 
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

HigherEd7

Students still have their phones and labtops, so it does not really work.

marshwiggle

Quote from: polly_mer on March 30, 2020, 03:26:31 PM
Quote from: dr_codex on March 30, 2020, 11:07:43 AM

When most people only had easy access to one computer with internet access, locking down the browser currently accessing the internet was of some benefit.

Now? 

I am currently sitting with three internet-enabled devices within arm's reach.  I frequently use one device to look up troubleshooting tips for another device.  It would be annoying and moderately expensive to use my flip phone to look up anything, but it'll do it.  Even my kid's 6-year-old Nabi with a seriously locked down access to the internet would allow me to look up tips were I in that great a need.  I have a landline and can call other people who have internet-enabled devices who will look things up for me if I mention I don't have internet (again, as happened just yesterday).

But all of these would be a little difficult to use inconspicuously, in front of the webcam, and productively, given the timed nature of the test. (And as always, if a test just requires regurgitating easily googleable answers it's not very good to begin with.)

It's like cybercrime; it's impossible to prevent-you just want to make it not worth the effort in most cases, and relatively easy to catch in as many others as possible.

The only people slowed down in these scenarios are those who are already below the technology line and probably went to great lengths to get sole use of a device to take the exam online.

I just saw thw presentation a couple of years ago, so students would have had lots of connected devices available then. The main value of the lockdown browser is that the device the student is staring at has internet access controlled. To use any other device requires the student to look away, and potentially for longish periods of time, which would be easy to observe. As would talking to someone else on a phone, even if the phone isn't in the frame. (And I think sound is recorded as well.)

polly_mer

Are people really watching students take online tests in real time?

What makes you think I can't tell someone off screen to send me something on a different screen within my view?  Are the proctors listening to all of us?

Are you controlling my switch that allows my keyboard to control a different computer for input to a monitor also in my view?  At one point in grad school, I had 6 monitors on a wall for six different computers, but only one keyboard.

A technological solution is not the answer this time.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Antiphon1

We've used Respondus and several other online proctoring services.  And had loads of cheaters with every service.  The proctors didn't catch the cheating; instructors caught the cheating. 

The best way to prevent cheating is to require taking the test at a testing center.  Otherwise, you are just inviting creative license for most of your students. 

Give a hard a$$ take home test with a short deadline.  If you need to curve the grades, so be it.  I'd rather curve than deal with grade appeals or argue with cheating cheaters. 

marshwiggle

Quote from: polly_mer on March 30, 2020, 07:30:17 PM
Are people really watching students take online tests in real time?

What makes you think I can't tell someone off screen to send me something on a different screen within my view?  Are the proctors listening to all of us?

(Again, from the presentation, not my personal experience.)

Before the test begins, students are asked to pan around the room with the camera so other walls, montiors, would mostly be seen then. Also, if I recall, they typically ask students to sit facing away from the door, so the camera faces the door. Anyone entering the room would be observed.

While I think there can be monitoring in real time, (and probably is to some degree), the fact that the recorded video can be examined if there is any question after the fact.

Are you controlling my switch that allows my keyboard to control a different computer for input to a monitor also in my view?  At one point in grad school, I had 6 monitors on a wall for six different computers, but only one keyboard.

A technological solution is not the answer this time.

Any system has flaws that could be exploited by a clever and ambitious cheater. The reality is that most cheaters are neither of those, and so they can be cuaght by reasonable measures.  (For example, from the presentation, some students covered their webcam but forget about the microphone, so the conversation with their friends who came into the room gave them away.)

Personally I would try to find some other alternative to a test in that situation, but as I said, if I felt there was no alternative I'd be willing to try it.

dr_codex

Well, there's no way anybody is going to ever review video for the kinds of tests I'm thinking about.

Thanks for the descriptions, all. Very helpful.

dc
back to the books.

Aster

One of my colleagues found out that a student had been bypassing the online proctoring software by taping stickie notes of answers all around the webcam itself, in it's blind spot.

The funny thing was that nobody would have ever found out, except that the cheating student bragged to others about it and forwarded pics of his cheating setup to social media. Those pics were forwarded by other students to their professor.

Biologist_

Respondus offers two different products.

According to their website:
"LockDown Browser® is a custom browser that locks down the testing environment within a learning management system. Used at over 1500 higher educational institutions, LockDown Browser is the "gold standard" for securing online exams in classrooms or proctored environments."

"Respondus Monitor" is an additional service that adds video observation through the student's webcam.

If you only have access to the LockDown Browser, it probably isn't much use for students taking exams at home. If you have access to the "Monitor" service as well, I imagine that it could be fairly secure.

Of course, some students might not have functional webcams on their computers, so you probably can't require such monitoring on short notice. If students were forewarned that such technology was a requirement of the class, it would be a different story. I don't think it's feasible to ask students to come up with the technology on short notice when many of them are under financial stress and a lot of tech products are sold out or back-ordered.

dr_codex

Quote from: Biologist_ on April 06, 2020, 09:36:55 AM
Respondus offers two different products.

According to their website:
"LockDown Browser® is a custom browser that locks down the testing environment within a learning management system. Used at over 1500 higher educational institutions, LockDown Browser is the "gold standard" for securing online exams in classrooms or proctored environments."

"Respondus Monitor" is an additional service that adds video observation through the student's webcam.

If you only have access to the LockDown Browser, it probably isn't much use for students taking exams at home. If you have access to the "Monitor" service as well, I imagine that it could be fairly secure.

Of course, some students might not have functional webcams on their computers, so you probably can't require such monitoring on short notice. If students were forewarned that such technology was a requirement of the class, it would be a different story. I don't think it's feasible to ask students to come up with the technology on short notice when many of them are under financial stress and a lot of tech products are sold out or back-ordered.

Useful clarification, and wise comments.

We went cheap, of course.
back to the books.