News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Students Taking Advantage of The VIRUS!

Started by HigherEd7, March 30, 2020, 03:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerseyjay

Quote from: marshwiggle on March 31, 2020, 06:13:55 AM

I don't think "90%" of students are facing "extraordinary" difficulties. I've heard from two (out of dozens) of students who claimed something like that, and even in their case, when I pointed out what their grades were so they didn't really need to complete the last requirement (which was much reduced from the original), they chose to anyway, and one (so far) thanked me for the course as well.

First, you will note I wrote "extraordinary circumstances," not difficulties.

Second, according to my dictionary, extraordinary means, first, "going beyond what is usual, regular, or customary," and, second, "exceptional to a very marked extent." I am glad that I do not teach at such an institution where closing down the campus and making a mad rush to go online in the midst of a global epidemic is ordinary. Some people obviously do not have that luxury.

This semester, so far, has been extraordinary for me. Even though I am lucky enough to have a job that is still paying me, an apartment with enough rooms, a strong wifi signal, health insurance, and help with childcare, it is still extraordinary. I happen to live down the street from a hospital, the fact that there is rarely ten minutes, day or night, that go by without hearing an ambulance siren is, well, extraordinary.

I have called the dozen students I have in my senior research seminar. All of them have extraordinary circumstances. All of them are at home, many with children or elderly parents to take care of, and often with one computer for three or four people. Many are now unemployed, or alternatively are working extra long hours. And I have begun to get emails from students about relatives becoming ill with coronavirus. I happen to live near the epicenter of this disease in the U.S. so far. But I suspect just as Milan was about two weeks ahead of what I am experiencing, we are about a fortnight ahead of many of you.

So, to sum up, I do think that this is an extraordinary time. We should strive to be as excellent scholars as possible, and ask that our students do so as well. But at the same time we should be flexible and compassionate--qualities that seem to be lacking in some of the posts that I have seen.

marshwiggle

Quote from: jerseyjay on March 31, 2020, 07:35:48 AM

I don't think "90%" of students are facing "extraordinary" difficulties. I've heard from two (out of dozens) of students who claimed something like that, and even in their case, when I pointed out what their grades were so they didn't really need to complete the last requirement (which was much reduced from the original), they chose to anyway, and one (so far) thanked me for the course as well.

Not to be obnoxious, but as I quoted:

Quote from: jerseyjay on March 31, 2020, 05:45:04 AM

If a student has the wherewithal to really "take advantage" of this situation and shine--well good for him. If a student is only using this as "an excuse" to not do work, chances are he or she still won't do the work after being given extensions, etc., and so why am I supposed to worry about it? And if, like about 90 per cent of the students, a student is really facing extraordinary difficulties of various kinds, why would I insist of being nasty and enforcing relatively arbitrary rules that were made for another context?

(emphasis added)
It takes so little to be above average.

jerseyjay

Quote from: marshwiggle on March 31, 2020, 08:29:14 AM

Not to be obnoxious, but as I quoted:

Quote from: jerseyjay on March 31, 2020, 05:45:04 AM

If a student has the wherewithal to really "take advantage" of this situation and shine--well good for him. If a student is only using this as "an excuse" to not do work, chances are he or she still won't do the work after being given extensions, etc., and so why am I supposed to worry about it? And if, like about 90 per cent of the students, a student is really facing extraordinary difficulties of various kinds, why would I insist of being nasty and enforcing relatively arbitrary rules that were made for another context?

(emphasis added)

Well, yes. My mistake and apologies.

Hegemony

Sorry, I thought LarryC's identity was unhidden. Delete if appropriate.

When it's the circumstances or the difficulties that are extraordinary, the whole shebang is extraordinary. Even if a student has ample wifi, no loss of job for self or family, stable finances and lodging, and everyone in the family circle in a non-vulnerable category, the fact is that we're in a situation where it's going to be considered great if only 100,000 additional people in the U.S. die in the next few months — and where predictions suggest that twice that number, or many times that number, are plausible. Where suddenly even going to the supermarket is taking a life-or-death risk. Whether others all around are losing their jobs and unable to pay their rent, even if the student is fine. That would trouble anyone with any awareness at all.  I have students in stable situations who find themselves crying every night. I don't think giving them a little extra grace is going to lead to the disintegration of the moral order.

marshwiggle

I'm curious about something.

Since several people on here have said they are in "hurricane alley", how are academic accomodations made in those events? Some specific possibilities are:

• Institution closed for days(weeks??) due to flooding
  • Damage to specific facilities like labs knocking them out for a term or part of one
  • Students unable to come to campus due to infrastructure disruptions.

Places where this is a real possibility must have some accomodation standard procedures.

Parasaurolophus

Almost certainly. Cheating is pretty widespread at my institution, so I expect there's a lot of it going on now.

But IDGAF.
I know it's a genus.

Caracal

Second, according to my dictionary, extraordinary means, first, "going beyond what is usual, regular, or customary," and, second, "exceptional to a very marked extent." I am glad that I do not teach at such an institution where closing down the campus and making a mad rush to go online in the midst of a global epidemic is ordinary. Some people obviously do not have that luxury.

This semester, so far, has been extraordinary for me. Even though I am lucky enough to have a job that is still paying me, an apartment with enough rooms, a strong wifi signal, health insurance, and help with childcare, it is still extraordinary. I happen to live down the street from a hospital, the fact that there is rarely ten minutes, day or night, that go by without hearing an ambulance siren is, well, extraordinary.

I have called the dozen students I have in my senior research seminar. All of them have extraordinary circumstances. All of them are at home, many with children or elderly parents to take care of, and often with one computer for three or four people. Many are now unemployed, or alternatively are working extra long hours. And I have begun to get emails from students about relatives becoming ill with coronavirus. I happen to live near the epicenter of this disease in the U.S. so far. But I suspect just as Milan was about two weeks ahead of what I am experiencing, we are about a fortnight ahead of many of you.

So, to sum up, I do think that this is an extraordinary time. We should strive to be as excellent scholars as possible, and ask that our students do so as well. But at the same time we should be flexible and compassionate--qualities that seem to be lacking in some of the posts that I have seen.

And even when students aren't facing these kinds of things, they are finding themselves having to adapt to dramatically different course delivery and schedules. Most of our students weren't planning to take online classes this semester. I know as a student, I organized myself around the physical classes and my schedule. I had all these patterns that helped me make sure I got stuff done. I'd finish reading in certain places in the library between classes, I went to the coffee shop in the evening because I usually had an easier time getting some work done there then if I just stayed home, etc, etc.

If you're just stuck sitting around the house, it can make it really hard to organize your time. If you add in all the anxiety and stress that most of us are dealing with, it can be hard. Nobody is suggesting giving everyone As, but we should be flexible and kind.

the_geneticist

I haven't had any emails from students (yet) asking for anything in particular due to the virus. 
We've moved to entirely online instruction for Spring quarter.  It was decided right before Spring break and it's been a steep learning curve for the faculty and students and TAs.
We already have policies in place if a student is sick and needs a medical withdrawal.  It's honestly easier to give them permission to attend another lab/discussion/whatever since they can't physically be on campus.
What I do have are students who are refusing to believe that we have capped class sizes and are hoping that if they participate in the first week that we will just let them enroll.  No, sorry.  Not my decision, but I have to enforce it.

scienceguy

If your first thought in the midst of a pandemic is that some of your students may be exploiting the situation for personal gain, then you should find a new line of work.

Seriously.

You and your students would both be happier.

shrek

My kid is a senior mechanical engineering major. And my university closed before theirs, and decided to go on line till the end of the year (and summer) before theirs. This kid has a lot of supports and insider knowledge. And yet-- they were shocked almost into unresponsiveness then it all hit. They came home and their challenges are pretty mild compared to many. 1. we had to share a computer for a week; 2. theirs was on the fritz, didn't buy a new one b/c they were using the library and lab and it's fast. And so they didn't bring it home for the break (when on-line only was announced). We bought a new one, which we'd been begging them to do anyway (not everyone can do this). But now, they are in a different time zone, work still has to get in on time; TAs & peers are in a different time zone. It's all been working out but it's not without stress or adjustments. I can't imagine how kids without this level of safety net are faring. Many of my undergrads (I met with my undergrad lab today) are home, helping out with siblings (some as young as 6), parents are out of work in some cases, not all, they have to share space, computers, etc., and they are doing ok-- not great, okay. I don't see any of them taking advantage-- they are resilient and capable but they need time (just like the rest of us).

OneMoreYear

Quote from: shrek on April 01, 2020, 11:11:18 PM
they are resilient and capable but they need time (just like the rest of us).

This x1000!

My university went online with less than a week's notice.  Classes were cancelled Wed to Fri for faculty to make the transition and classes went live online the following Monday. I think some Universities gave their faculty/students a couple weeks to plan for this (because one week was Spring break), but we had 5 days.  My colleagues are banding together, and my students so far as exceeding expectations. I teach grad students, so I realize my sample is somewhat different, but students in my professional program are seriously stressed because their training has been upended.  I'm teaching a required class that is considered hard (math-based) that no one wants to take.  And all of my students are sticking with it, and they are all currently passing! Maybe this belongs on the inhale thread.

marshwiggle

Quote from: OneMoreYear on April 02, 2020, 06:14:03 AM

My university went online with less than a week's notice.  Classes were cancelled Wed to Fri for faculty to make the transition and classes went live online the following Monday. I think some Universities gave their faculty/students a couple weeks to plan for this (because one week was Spring break), but we had 5 days.  My colleagues are banding together, and my students so far as exceeding expectations. I teach grad students, so I realize my sample is somewhat different, but students in my professional program are seriously stressed because their training has been upended.  I'm teaching a required class that is considered hard (math-based) that no one wants to take.  And all of my students are sticking with it, and they are all currently passing! Maybe this belongs on the inhale thread.

At the end of the course, you should ask them if they're glad they completed it, versus if it had just stopped with some kind of grade assigned when everything went online. I have a hunch a lot would say that finishing the course gave them some sense of control over their lives in this stressful time.

Aster

Now that I've gone through the first round of remotely delivered exam testing, the student complaints are making an appearance.

"I'm not an online student, can you help me?" - I'm not exactly sure what you're asking since we're all online now and you didn't specify anything at all, but the answer is probably no.

"I thought the exam was due later, can you help me?" - Missing all of the the various and overlapping announcements, messages, and posterboard due dates in their entirety would require a high amount of apathy. So no.

"I don't like this online exam format, can we use the format we had in class before?"
- No, I dumbed this exam down enough as is for online conversion, and the class averages are way up. I can tell from your terrible exam score that you didn't study at all.

adel9216

At my university, undergrads get Pass/Fail because of the situation and all assignments deadlines have been pushed for those who feel the need to. It's an exceptional situation, so I think it's important to be compassionate. We truly don't always know what's happening in students' lives or the circumstances in which they are experiencing this unprecedent time. Very often, they had a lot going on prior that professors are just not aware of.

adel9216

This.