News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Index Question

Started by Seeker123, April 03, 2020, 07:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seeker123

Hello all, I am putting together an index and had a few questions. How do I index a name that sometimes appears as a first and last name and sometimes only the last name? For example John Smith vs Smith? In my book I usually introduce people with full names the first time and then only refer to their last name.

Hegemony

You would index those under "Smith, John."

Seeker123

My question is how do I do it? Word does not give me an option to do that I have to create a separate entry.

Hegemony

Oh, you're trying to do the automatic Word thing?  Sorry.  I just type it out in a list.

mamselle

Look for indexing software compatible with MSWord online.

Or get a bona-fide indexer and pay them. They usually list with academic-editing free-lance groups like EFM or CAEN.

MSWord's indexing is dismal,and doing it yourself can lead to blind-spot oversights, in which you miss indexing things so familiar to you that you forget a new reader might not know them, or a researcher be looking for them.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.