News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

CARES Act funding for Higher Education

Started by Hibush, April 10, 2020, 05:44:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hibush

The gigantic emergency bailout package, the CARES Act includes $14 billion in funds for colleges. A sortable and searchable table is available at IHE.

The big winner is academic dreadnaught Arizona State at $63.5 million. Big public colleges are getting the most funds. One standout is a community college at #23, Ivy Tech CC of Indiana, with $33 million.

My school got the equivalent of one and a half days of overall operating costs, so this aid won't be keeping the whole operation afloat. The emergency financial aid to students comes to $400 per student, but it will surely go to the neediest in larger allotments.

apl68

Well, hardly a surprise that the big places are getting most of the funds in a big, hastily-thrown-together, throw-money-at-it, stimulus package like this.  To him who has it shall be given.

What startles me is seeing that private schools in general are getting anything.  Even poor old Pine Manor is looking at over half a million dollars in stimulus money, which seems to be coming too late to do them any good.  My alma mater and that of my parents--both denominationally-affiliated schools who still take their religious missions seriously--are getting allocations.  That's got to have some people up in arms.

This stimulus looks a lot like the every-institution-of-higher-learning-deserves-to-be-bailed-out wish that we've seen some express here.  But sadly it's still not going to be enough to save the Pine Manors out there.
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.

Cheerful

Thanks, Hibush!  That searchable table is informative.  I see here that my U gets a sizable allocation.  Yet admin has not shared this good news with the rank and file.

dr_codex

Super helpful.

Just got our budget-freeze email from our CFO. Sensible as initial steps. More to follow, I'm sure.
back to the books.

dismalist

Quote from: Hibush on April 10, 2020, 05:44:26 AM
The gigantic emergency bailout package, the CARES Act includes $14 billion in funds for colleges. A sortable and searchable table is available at IHE.

The big winner is academic dreadnaught Arizona State at $63.5 million. Big public colleges are getting the most funds. One standout is a community college at #23, Ivy Tech CC of Indiana, with $33 million.

My school got the equivalent of one and a half days of overall operating costs, so this aid won't be keeping the whole operation afloat. The emergency financial aid to students comes to $400 per student, but it will surely go to the neediest in larger allotments.

The money was allocated by formula, with a heavy weight for Pell Grant recipients. Half the cash per institution is to help students; the other half to tide the institution over. How precisely those funds can be spent is still not clear, but it will have to do with reacting to the epidemic, e.g. cost of going on-line.

I am overwhelmed by how intelligent -- efficient and just -- this allocation is.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

namazu

Quote from: Hibush on April 10, 2020, 05:44:26 AM
FWIW, Ivy Tech is the community college system across the whole of the state of Indiana, with 40+ physical locations and something like 200,000 students.

finman

Quote from: apl68 on April 10, 2020, 08:21:51 AM
What startles me is seeing that private schools in general are getting anything.  Even poor old Pine Manor is looking at over half a million dollars in stimulus money, which seems to be coming too late to do them any good.  My alma mater and that of my parents--both denominationally-affiliated schools who still take their religious missions seriously--are getting allocations.  That's got to have some people up in arms.

Same thought here... I was very surprised that my own private denominational school was getting funding.

Wahoo Redux

We are getting over $10M.  I have to say it: thank God.  I know that will not be enough but it will certainly.  Help.  Go U.S.A.! 
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.