News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

May writing challenge

Started by Puget, April 30, 2020, 06:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puget

Great to see all the writing happening!

I met my goal yesterday, and have the same goal for today-- 2 hours on paper revisions.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

darkstarrynight

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 05, 2020, 07:52:09 PM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 05, 2020, 09:20:14 AM
Today:

• 500 words of June Paper
  • Moar research for June Paper

Done and done. Alas, the research never ends, but only ever points to more relevant material!

Quote from: darkstarrynight on May 05, 2020, 05:40:53 PM

• Drafted 6,300 words on the special issue manuscript due 6/15 (with a 7,000 word max including cover page, abstract, and references, oops) but woohoo that is progress!

Hole. E-carp! That's fantastic!

Thanks! Your progress is great too!

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 07, 2020, 07:19:19 AM

Today:

• 500 words of June Paper
  • Research call with friendly acquaintance

Also did a little reading. I'm taking tomorrow off (in addition to the weekend), though, because I start teaching again Monday and want a mini summer first.
I know it's a genus.

JCu16

Quote from: JCu16 on May 01, 2020, 07:37:46 AM
Finish the longstanding paper (one more figure, write a section, construct a large table, then polish text).

Tick number two for the month. Finally finished this paper (started it nearly 6 years ago), and sent it off to coauthors for a final check over and an internal review process for one of them. Hope to formally submit it by the end of the month so it can get through the peer reviews before the fall portfolio review.

Tomorrow, it's on to reading one of the co-author papers (below), and finishing the grading that I'm meant to have done in a few days.
Edit and help finish a new coauthor paper #1

JCu16

Quote from: JCu16 on May 07, 2020, 07:23:04 PM
Edit coauthor paper (below), and finishing the grading that I'm meant to have done in a few days.
Edit and help finish a new coauthor paper #1

Grading now all done, and managed to slip in the new-coauthor paper to boot. Definitely making strong progress so far (first 3 done) - the question is will it continue? Sunday plan - finish my research narrative for external review and if I can start reading this Masters thesis for the end of the week. Need to get that monkey off my back before I can turn to the new stuff.

nonsensical

Welcome to a new week! Hope it goes well for everyone. My goal for today: address one comment on a review paper I am writing with a colleague.

darkstarrynight

I am weary of making writing goals when I have so many grading goals, but I am going to try so I can keep myself accountable. I did complete an IRB application Friday that I will submit once my co-PIs finish research training this week (they are all current or former students so they do not have up to date training).

Goal

• Work on last part of manuscript due June 15th by writing something, even if just a few words!

Parasaurolophus

I start teaching again today, so I have a small pile of lectures to record (ugh). That will significantly impact productivity. But, if I'm lucky:

• 200 words of Book Proposal
  • 200 words of June Paper
I know it's a genus.

Puget

Forgot to post, but I did make good progress on revising long neglected paper on Friday. This week I have to grad term papers, so I'm trying to keep my writing goals realistic, but I really want to finish those revisions. So, for today:

1. At least 30 min. revising long neglected paper
2. Results section feedback for MA student (this is really more mentoring than writing since I doubt we'll publish it, but I'll count it anyway)
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."

nonsensical

Addressed all remaining comments on review paper, sent off the draft to colleague co-author, and am feeling very accomplished now.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 11, 2020, 08:57:30 AM
I start teaching again today, so I have a small pile of lectures to record (ugh). That will significantly impact productivity. But, if I'm lucky:

Many, many unforseen teaching complications. I didn't get to any of this today. Sigh.
I know it's a genus.

Puget

Quote from: Puget on May 11, 2020, 09:33:23 AM
Forgot to post, but I did make good progress on revising long neglected paper on Friday. This week I have to grad term papers, so I'm trying to keep my writing goals realistic, but I really want to finish those revisions. So, for today:

1. At least 30 min. revising long neglected paper
2. Results section feedback for MA student (this is really more mentoring than writing since I doubt we'll publish it, but I'll count it anyway)

Done! Did close to an hour on paper, though everything takes longer than expected per usual. Ended up spending a lot of time putting together slides for our online department commencement since we were suddenly told we had to have them done by Friday (even though its not till the 26th). Didn't even get started on grading. It's going to be some sort of week. BUT! Made my summer term plan today in the writing group I co-lead, and  writing will go on in small chunks.

Tomorrow, a modest goal, which I will try to accomplish BEFORE grading:
At least 30 min. revising long neglected paper

nonsensical

My kind-of goal for today is to address one comment on the grant that I am planning to resubmit this summer. But I have Zoom meetings basically all day, so if I don't get to the grant until tomorrow, I will also be okay with that.

Parasaurolophus

Another very busy day, but let's try this again:

[/quote]
I know it's a genus.

nonsensical

Quote from: nonsensical on May 12, 2020, 06:07:11 AM
My kind-of goal for today is to address one comment on the grant that I am planning to resubmit this summer. But I have Zoom meetings basically all day, so if I don't get to the grant until tomorrow, I will also be okay with that.

Addressed my comment!