News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

May writing challenge

Started by Puget, April 30, 2020, 06:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JCu16

Quote from: nonsensical on May 15, 2020, 04:50:28 PM
Thanks, Parasaurolophus, and I'm sorry to hear about your paper.

I gave feedback on half of my student's review paper today, which was more than I was expecting to be able to do. I, like JCu16, declare victory.

I find while writing, or in general those small victories need be savored (it took me most of the week to find time to get that narrative done). Bravo for pushing through and getting that done nonsensical!

JCu16

Morning All,

Todays goals:
Writing 30 minutes toward a dataset paper.
Writing 30 minutes toward the due in June proposal.
Analysis toward the first of my sponsored projects for the summer.

dr_codex

Write weekly lecture. Write up grading guide.

Grade, grade, grade.
back to the books.

Parasaurolophus

Today's a holiday, so the only teaching-related stuff I'm gonna do is make a quiz. But since this is the writing challenge:

• Finish reading the paper I'm refereeing.
  • Organize and write 300 words of June Paper.
I know it's a genus.

nonsensical

My goal for today is to revise the one-page summary of my grant.

nonsensical

Quote from: nonsensical on May 18, 2020, 08:40:25 AM
My goal for today is to revise the one-page summary of my grant.

Done!

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 18, 2020, 08:02:25 AM
Today's a holiday, so the only teaching-related stuff I'm gonna do is make a quiz. But since this is the writing challenge:

• Finish reading the paper I'm refereeing.
  • Organize and write 300 words of June Paper.

OKokok, I did it. Even wrote 500 words. Now I can finally start re-organizing my bookshelves...
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

Howdy all! Today I drafted up a literature review for a project which was really exciting until the first author wrote an email afterwards saying she wanted to change directions. I think my contributions can still work with her new vision, hopefully.

Over the weekend my new co-author on the "five years neglected" project made progress on his part, so I need to get motivated to finish that.

Lastly, on the manuscript due June 15th, the draft is done and under the word maximum (with cover page, abstract, references) so now my co-authors and I are just editing. Things are coming together, yeehaw!

nonsensical

Things coming together is a great feeling! Congrats on all that writing.

My goal for today: finish giving student feedback for an R&R. I started looking at the paper yesterday and probably have about 1/3 of the work left to do today.

nonsensical

Quote from: nonsensical on May 19, 2020, 04:43:01 AM
Things coming together is a great feeling! Congrats on all that writing.

My goal for today: finish giving student feedback for an R&R. I started looking at the paper yesterday and probably have about 1/3 of the work left to do today.

Just sent this paper back to the student. We will likely need a few more rounds before it's ready to submit, so it's not all the way off my plate yet, but for today it is.

Parasaurolophus

Lots of teaching stuff today (so that I don't have to do it all later this week, although I'll have to do some), so, modestly:

• Re-organize June Paper

It needs a lot of re-organizing.
I know it's a genus.

JCu16

Success, but also some changes in plan yesterday.
Quote from: JCu16 on May 18, 2020, 06:29:54 AM
Writing 30 minutes toward a dataset paper.
Writing 30 minutes toward the due in June proposal. - However, I've now scrubbed this proposal as I'm not convinced its a good target for the project we have in mind.
Analysis toward the first of my sponsored projects for the summer. - Ended up spending quite a bit of time assisting graduate student with code for this, but sorted it out so he is up and running which means that paper will happen

Also have been conducting graduate student interviews for a new project, 50+ applicants was a hellish workload.

Today:
30 minutes toward dataset paper.
Analysis toward sponsored project.

darkstarrynight

Great job, all! I touched up the manuscript due June 15th and then worked on a summer course instead. I am trying not to avoid the "five years neglected" project, but apparently I am still doing that.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 19, 2020, 10:30:34 AM
Lots of teaching stuff today (so that I don't have to do it all later this week, although I'll have to do some), so, modestly:

• Re-organize June Paper

It needs a lot of re-organizing.

Okay, so now it's paper-shaped and roughly paper-length, although there are still plenty of holes that need to be stitched up into something coherent. But at least now I can stand to look at June Paper, and to work on individual sections. (Hell, at least now I know what my sections are!)
I know it's a genus.

nonsensical

Yay for paper-shaped, paper-length things!

I have received comments from a colleague on a theory paper we are writing together. I will aim to finalize that manuscript today, although I haven't opened the file yet and don't know how extensive the comments are.