News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

May writing challenge

Started by Puget, April 30, 2020, 06:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JCu16

With a few days to go, progress checking:
Finish the longstanding paper (one more figure, then polish text).
Edit and help finish a new coauthor paper #1
R&R a coauthor paper #1
R&R coauthor paper #2 with editorial revisions
Finish and write a paper #2 based on recent analysis.
Finish a dataset paper #3
Assist graduate student with new paper which will upset many people in the field #4
Submit the short narrative for my external review for tenure (EEK).

There has been progress on a few of these adding the following:
Short highlight piece for big journal based on recent paper.

Spent a couple of hundred words on this yesterday, but took most of the past few days off just to recuperate.

Puget

Quote from: Puget on May 22, 2020, 06:50:04 AM
Congrats on the submission nonsensical!

OK, I'm finally back to writing after a gap when I got sucked into the giant black hole of helping put  together the department online graduation and grading.

I'm going to make a push today and try to finish up the revisions on the long neglected paper, but first I need to get comments to my MA student on her thesis results section draft.

I made progress on this Friday but did not finish, and took the long weekend completely off from work-work in favor of yard and house projects. Today I'm really going to try to finish the revisions.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Parasaurolophus

I'll take another stab at finishing §5 of June Paper today.
I know it's a genus.

nonsensical

I was able to go through the whole paper and send back to the student with some final minor revisions. It's great to see this paper progress to the finish line.

darkstarrynight

Met with two scholars I really admire that are including me on a project. My lit review I finished last week seems to work with the "shift in focus" by the first author and the project is really exciting! We are aiming for a top journal in a field tangential to mine that I would never have pursued on my own. I like the idea of reaching a broader audience so I am excited by this new project!

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 26, 2020, 10:25:29 AM
I'll take another stab at finishing §5 of June Paper today.

Teaching and meetings intruded, and it was extremely frustrating because I was raring to get this done. However. I did a little, and will just have to try to do more tomorrow.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Woke up at dawn (ugh), but on the bright side that means I'm done with all my teaching stuff already. So, for today, all pertaining to June Paper:

• Finish §5.
  • Start the (big) job of finishing §2.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 27, 2020, 07:08:27 AM
Woke up at dawn (ugh), but on the bright side that means I'm done with all my teaching stuff already. So, for today, all pertaining to June Paper:

• Finish §5.
  • Start the (big) job of finishing §2.

Phew, done! Well, done §5, and tinkered with §2 and around the edges of the rest. That's enough for today!

Also, this is post #1000!
I know it's a genus.

Puget

Finally finished all the revisions on long neglected paper! But, now I have to cut just over two pages to get it back to the 30 page limit. Tomorrow. . . .
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Wahoo Redux

Two mid-length creative projects and an editorial out the door.

Limited work on book project.

Can I get the conference paper into article quality by June 1st?....seems a bit optimistic.  May give it a chance anyway...
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

mamselle

QuoteAlso, this is post #1000!

Congrats!

(Where is the key to the cabana door? Can we get it open? Mountainguy, do you have it?)

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

darkstarrynight

I heard back from the editor on a revision. One reviewer was happy and good to go, and reviewer 2 (of course) wrote that we did not address any of their feedback (after a complete overhaul to do so) and our study had no purpose (ouch). The topic to the reviewer is insignificant. The special issue call specifically asked for a study on this exact topic, and apparently the reviewer had not read the call? I asked the editor for some guidance in response. We have under a month to turn it around again, but my co-author wants to get the edits done before we start summer teaching in two weeks, so...time is fleeting. Sigh. I will probably feel better after I sleep on it.

nonsensical

That sounds extremely frustrating, darkstarrynight. Hopefully the situation does seem a bit better in the light of the morning though!

Yesterday I mostly worked on a paper revision that a student had sent me a little while back. I got all the way through the manuscript and supplemental materials, just need to take a look at the draft of responses to reviewers. At the end of the day, I also got back the revision from different student of the paper that I said here would need a few more rounds. So today my goals are to finish edits on both of these papers and send them back to their respective students.

Parasaurolophus

I suppose I'll delve into §2 of June Paper today. Happily, the deadline is now mid-July, so if I have a proper-looking draft in place by tomorrow, I can just tinker around the edges while I work more seriously on June's projects.
I know it's a genus.

nonsensical

I successfully sent both students their papers back with comments. The next thing on my to-do list is some relatively minor revisions for my own R&R (with a colleague/friend co-author, not with a student). I might do that tomorrow, but then again I might just cook or read or do something else weekend-y. We just got an enormous Instacart delivery so there are plenty of fun things to play with.