News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

May writing challenge

Started by Puget, April 30, 2020, 06:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 28, 2020, 09:18:33 AM
I suppose I'll delve into §2 of June Paper today. Happily, the deadline is now mid-July, so if I have a proper-looking draft in place by tomorrow, I can just tinker around the edges while I work more seriously on June's projects.

Done for today. More of the same tomorrow.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Kwell. More of the same it is.
I know it's a genus.

Puget

Quote from: Puget on May 27, 2020, 03:46:56 PM
Finally finished all the revisions on long neglected paper! But, now I have to cut just over two pages to get it back to the 30 page limit. Tomorrow. . . .

Have been going through making small cuts for concision--1.5 pages left to cut, which I hope to finish this afternoon.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

nonsensical

I made my minor revisions and sent paper back to colleague/friend co-author. AND I also got to play with some of the new ingredients we got from Instacart. Go me.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 29, 2020, 08:35:27 AM
Kwell. More of the same it is.

Done! I'll break the rule and do a spot of work tomorrow, too, and with any luck I can draw §3 together and the paper will be pretty much done! The deadline has been pushed back to July, so I can tinker on it while I work on other stuff.

I might even take a stab at a referee report, now. We'll see.

EDIT: Got the report done, too!
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Today was a sneak-in-the-work day. I managed to get §3 sorted out, and wrote a conclusion. The process of writing a preliminary conclusion also helped me figure out how to do a better job of framing the paper, so when I return to it on Monday, I'll mostly be doing that structural work. Looks like I'm only a few days away from finishing June Paper, however! So that's two and a half papers in two months of the writing challenge!

Plus, in the process, I accidentally discovered an article which will be of tremendous use to me when I get around to revising another paper to send it back out.
I know it's a genus.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on May 01, 2020, 08:46:17 AM
May goals:
- Finalize paper and get it under review
- Get book chapter off the ground
- Revisit old project and decide whether it is worth salvaging... if so, salvage!
- Keep chipping away at paper with co-authors
- Work on developing some new ideas

And hopefully I'll hear from some journals where I currently have papers under review.  Those will become priorities when they do come back.

I had a pretty productive month, but didn't quite finalize the first paper.  I did make significant progress on it though and I will have it under review in June, come hell or high water. 

On the up side, I have two R&Rs now that I didn't have at the beginning of the month, and I'm very happy about that.

Puget

Started the June thread-- come join!
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

JCu16

Time for a final review.

(Typically Ambitious) Goals for May:
Finish the longstanding paper (one more figure, then polish text). - In an internal review for a coauthor, should be submitted soon.
Edit and help finish a new coauthor paper #1 - Submitted.
R&R a coauthor paper #1 - In review again.
R&R coauthor paper #2 with editorial revisions - Done my part, lead author is lagging.
Finish and write a paper #2 based on recent analysis. - Unfinished.
Finish a dataset paper #3 - Unfinished.
Assist graduate student with new paper which will upset many people in the field #4 - Unfinished.
Submit the short narrative for my external review for tenure (EEK). - Done
Write a contract proposal that I didn't expect to have at the start of the month.
Finish preparing the proposal I started last month (due June 1). - Scrapped on PM feedback.

So generally, made a lot of progress, but got waylaid by many things I didn't expect.

Wahoo Redux

Missed an article deadline for a complete draft but it is for the book project, so nothing entirely lost.  Started earnest work on book last night.

Hope to have final draft of different article this week----it has taken so long!

One more long standing creative project on the verge of readiness.  Maybe even today.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.