News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Secret Faculty union FB page

Started by mahagonny, May 06, 2020, 09:55:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahagonny

Our union has something called a secret faculty union Facebook page. Is it safe to discuss things there?

marshwiggle

Quote from: mahagonny on May 06, 2020, 09:55:10 AM
Our union has something called a secret faculty union Facebook page. Is it safe to discuss things there?

If all of the faculty in the union are in it, it isn't secret.
It takes so little to be above average.

Morden

And inevitably some faculty share confidential information with administration.

Katrina Gulliver

Discuss what? It's not a confidential space, if that's what you're asking. For that you'll be wanting a confessional or your lawyer's office.

polly_mer

Not anything which you suspect the administration would use against you or that you want kept secret.

Meeting the union steward in person is usually pretty safe in terms of confidentiality.  It's probably moderately safe to call the union steward.

Anything on social media that has more than a couple people is subject to leaks.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

clean

DID you hear about the ICE facebook group, or maybe it was the Border Patrol Facebook group.  Either way, it didnt turn out well for them. 

I do not have a Facetube account and have not plans to get one, for a heap of reasons, including the lack of confidentiality!

Havent you heard not to post anything online (like I am doing now) that you would not want to see on the front page of the paper?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

mahagonny

Quote from: clean on May 06, 2020, 09:39:06 PM
DID you hear about the ICE facebook group, or maybe it was the Border Patrol Facebook group.  Either way, it didnt turn out well for them. 

I do not have a Facetube account and have not plans to get one, for a heap of reasons, including the lack of confidentiality!

Havent you heard not to post anything online (like I am doing now) that you would not want to see on the front page of the paper?

Sometimes you might post something in some venue that you wouldn't broadcast. (But it is also the truth.) And when people are looking at it they know they are snooping, and when they out you, they out themselves.

larryc

Quote from: mahagonny on May 06, 2020, 10:11:47 PM

Sometimes you might post something in some venue that you wouldn't broadcast. (But it is also the truth.) And when people are looking at it they know they are snooping, and when they out you, they out themselves.

Um, no. Any member of the group can take screen grabs and share them wherever and you will not be able to tell which member did it. There is no such thing as a secret Facebook group.

mahagonny

Quote from: larryc on May 06, 2020, 10:35:50 PM

Um, no. Any member of the group can take screen grabs and share them wherever and you will not be able to tell which member did it. There is no such thing as a secret Facebook group.

OK.

polly_mer

Quote from: clean on May 06, 2020, 09:39:06 PM

For that outing to work, you have to tell each person a different story and then see which one takes off.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Aster

"secret" and "facebook" are not words that I usually associate together. Ha ha.

marshwiggle

Quote from: larryc on May 06, 2020, 10:35:50 PM

A few other things to consider:

• Faculty members get promoted to administration. Do they automatically lose Facebook access and/or forget they ever had it?
  • Faculty members may be (gasp!) married to administrators. (Especially as relating to item above). Do they automatically buy a second secret computer with a separate secret internet account?
  • Some faculty members don't agree with every single position taken by their union. (AS IF!) Some may not even see the administration as inherently and unredeemably evil. (NO WAY!!!!)

So there are several reasons that the secret handshake and the special passphrase required to enter the inner sanctum imagine a much more binary, dystopian environment than actually exists in many places.

mahagonny

• Some faculty members don't agree with every single position taken by their union. (AS IF!) Some may not even see the administration as inherently and unredeemably evil. (NO WAY!!!!)

Well, first: why attribute to evil something that can be explained by boneheaded and stingy? Second: In our country (USA) health insurance options are much more tied to employment than in Canada. So we've got different dynamics. You do give a good reason not to be too public with one's ideas, but other than that, you're probably just venting about your union again.

[/quote]
Quote from: Aster on May 07, 2020, 05:28:59 AM

How does your union keep the communication going so it can act with knowledge?

marshwiggle

As Benjamin Franklin said; "Three can keep a secret, if two of them are dead."

mahagonny

Quote from: marshwiggle on May 07, 2020, 06:31:46 AM

As Benjamin Franklin said; "Three can keep a secret, if two of them are dead."

I'm getting the message. There are risks. Although if 'secret' really just means 'FB ers who are not paying dues to our union, do not post here' then it works that way.

Quote from: polly_mer on May 06, 2020, 03:19:28 PM

Not anything which you suspect the administration would use against you...

Now this is truly baffling. Thanks to this forum I have learned that administration is all for us. Why else would they show up in the nick of time with the stunning revelation that we have the option not to continue working for them?