Colleges that Reopen are Making a Big Mistake: Atlantic Article

Started by polly_mer, May 18, 2020, 01:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polly_mer

Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Parasaurolophus

The Atlantic is a big mistake.

Sounds about right, though.
I know it's a genus.

TreadingLife

Some schools can do this.
https://www.insidehighered.com/quicktakes/2020/05/18/campbell-u-provide-single-dorm-rooms

Some can't because they are too big.

Shockingly, one size doesn't fit all. But that's not clickbait, now is it?

apl68

Quote from: TreadingLife on May 18, 2020, 04:02:42 PM
But that's not clickbait, now is it?

Atlantic is worth reading, but they do have an addiction to clickbait headlines.  Their writers also sometimes give the impression of being far too impressed with their own cleverness/the cleverness of whoever did that fifteen-person study that they consider the definitive answer to a particular question of science or medicine or sociology or whatever.  Malcolm Gladwell is the quintessential Atlantic writer, even if he does usually publish in New Yorker.
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.

mamselle

I have been appreciative of their most recent articles on truth-telling and the analysis of issues tied to recent events, however. They might be click-bait, as well, but they're decently written (I'm not having to say the correct word out loud so my internal editor can be unmuted, as one must with so many current articles) and they're more in-depth than many others.

I thought this one was particularly good:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/05/whats-south-koreas-secret/611215/

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.