News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Things you can only do virtually

Started by marshwiggle, May 19, 2020, 11:00:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marshwiggle

Since there's lots of discussion about the deficiencies of virtual education, I'd like to hear about whatever advantages there are.

Since I do lots of labs, (which obviously can't do certain things virtually), here are a few of the upsides:

• Virtual labs aren't restricted by the size of the space.
  • Virtual labs don't have to be completed in a very narrow time window.
  • Virtual labs don't have to be "safe"; i.e. simulations may allow students to try some things that you wouldn't want them to do in person.

To reiterate something I've said elsewhere, virtual education can optimize for different outcomes than face-to-face education. So, while somethings may not be possible, other things become possible in the virtual space.
It takes so little to be above average.

att_mtt

Just to name the positive sides:
There are some advantages for chronically ill students that normally might not be able to join for a class, but as just opening up the laptop is easier than driving/walking to the class, they are able to come.
If asynchronous lectures are offered, it can be beneficial to rewatch lectures or make videos and walk students through software applications, which are difficult to do in face-to-face education...

apl68

If you need a specialized program not offered anywhere near where you live, an online program can keep you from having to relocate.  For example, every librarian in our state who didn't move here from out of state has an online degree, since we have no accredited library degree programs here.
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.

eigen

The potential for partially asynchronous learning/catch up is huge.

After feedback from my students, I'm going to likely start recording and posting lectures as a regular thing so that students who have to miss class, or who want to go back and re-listen, are able to. Ditto for students who just aren't feeling well, as mentioned.

One other nice thing has been virtual office hours- they aren't always quite as convenient, but can be really nice for not having to be on campus for them.

Bringing in external speakers has also gotten a lot easier, as well as alumni- it's opened up direct connections from my students to a larger community.

Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

Bonnie

Quote from: eigen on May 19, 2020, 01:38:56 PM

After feedback from my students, I'm going to likely start recording and posting lectures as a regular thing so that students who have to miss class, or who want to go back and re-listen, are able to. Ditto for students who just aren't feeling well, as mentioned.

One other nice thing has been virtual office hours- they aren't always quite as convenient, but can be really nice for not having to be on campus for them.

Ditto on both of these.

quasihumanist

Bringing in external speakers has also gotten a lot easier, as well as alumni- it's opened up direct connections from my students to a larger community.

At many universities, there is a requirement for dissertation committees and the like to have a member from outside the department as a safeguard against departmental conspiracies.  Instead of dragging in someone from some other department at your university who will have very little idea of what is going on in the dissertation, we can now ask someone from your field at another university.

Vkw10

Group work can be easier online. Each group can have a virtual space to work, can share documents, can have mix of talked/typed conversations, can let software track contributions, can do asynchronous or synchronous work depending on project needs and their schedules.

Students who don't speak out in class are sometimes more willing to type comments in chat.

I don't see students texting while I'm talking. I can mute a talkative student for a few moments to give others opportunity to comment.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

mamselle

Have a folk dance with people from four different states.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

polly_mer

Quote from: quasihumanist on May 19, 2020, 04:20:04 PM

At many universities, there is a requirement for dissertation committees and the like to have a member from outside the department as a safeguard against departmental conspiracies.  Instead of dragging in someone from some other department at your university who will have very little idea of what is going on in the dissertation, we can now ask someone from your field at another university.

Now?  Have you really not been doing the external reviewer who really knows something relevant for at least a decade?  Interesting.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

mahagonny

You can deduct from a faculty member's paycheck without providing anything to him in return, because it's written in the collective bargaining agreement.

sinenomine

You don't have to worry about winter weather cancelling class.

Students who are reticent about speaking in on-ground classes often participate much more online.

I no longer have to worry about the faculty dress code.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

mahagonny

Quote from: sinenomine on May 20, 2020, 03:47:19 AM

Students who are reticent about speaking in on-ground classes often participate much more online.

Not to be contrary, I was thinking exactly that way until a grown up (almost my age) student mentioned the other day that 'we both look a little bedraggled don't we!' I quipped, 'yes, later I'm going to pick out my outfit for going out into the living room.' Then realized, although I do enjoy being entertaining, that's not the impression I want to make. So I'm still going to at least have on a dress shirt and a tidy bookshelf or room in view. Maybe it adds to the sense of discipline and goals in the experience. I like to think so. (For perspective, I fight my propensity to roll out of bed and jump in the car).

Speaking of students who are inclined to be sequestered: do you require them to show their face at all times or is it OK with you if they turn off the camera?

apl68

Quote from: mamselle on May 19, 2020, 07:12:14 PM

M.

Or, at a more mundane level, have a group project with students from four different states.
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.

mamselle

Quote from: apl68 on May 20, 2020, 07:19:45 AM
Quote from: mamselle on May 19, 2020, 07:12:14 PM

M.

Or, at a more mundane level, have a group project with students from four different states.

Exactly.

I should actually say that, in its F2F iteration, the dance often attracts participants from all over the world who put down their bookbags, backpacks, or briefcases in the center of the dance circle, and join in.

But it's still cool that we can do this the way we are doing it.

And I'm glad your multi-state student project works out, too!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

polly_mer

Quote from: mahagonny on May 20, 2020, 06:18:46 AM
Quote from: sinenomine on May 20, 2020, 03:47:19 AM

Not to be contrary, I was thinking exactly that way until a grown up (almost my age) student mentioned the other day that 'we both look a little bedraggled don't we!' I quipped, 'yes, later I'm going to pick out my outfit for going out into the living room.' Then realized, although I do enjoy being entertaining, that's not the impression I want to make. So I'm still going to at least have on a dress shirt and a tidy bookshelf or room in view. Maybe it adds to the sense of discipline and goals in the experience. I like to think so. (For perspective, I fight my propensity to roll out of bed and jump in the car).

Speaking of students who are inclined to be sequestered: do you require them to show their face at all times or is it OK with you if they turn off the camera?

I'm wearing my conference going clothes right now for a virtual conference, even with my camera off.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!