News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Things you can only do virtually

Started by marshwiggle, May 19, 2020, 11:00:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_geneticist

I can hold lab meetings with my cat on my lap, while barefoot and drinking tea.

mahagonny

Stay out of leaky buildings the state bureaucracy has neglected to maintain.

Vkw10

I have gone to ironed t-shirt with a blazer handy during the work day. The blazer goes on before I turn on webcam. Occasionally, I wear shirt with tie, based on meeting schedule. It's more relaxed than on campus, without being sloppy.

I don't insist on cameras, since they aren't essential for what I'm teaching this semester.  Some students have limited bandwidth, especially when they live with people who are working or studying remotely. Others are simply reluctant to share their personal space, so they turn off cameras and mute themselves when not speaking. Next semester, they'll need cameras for a couple of activities where attention to body language is part of objective.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

AmLitHist

I've always found I can cover a lot more texts in a lit class online than in person.  Trying to keep up with the same amount of lit for a TR class can be rough, but if they get the reading list and deadlines the first day of class, most of them are really good about keeping up (and probably reading ahead when their other classes/work/etc. slow down).  And it seems to be easier for them to know the week's readings on Monday and get everything done sometime before Sunday night's deadline.

the_geneticist

Ooooh!  I just remembered another one:
I can avoid interacting with the co-worker that randomly stops in my office to talk at me and will not go away.  Previously I've had to be blunt to the point of rudeness or faked needing to be somewhere else to get them to leave.
But now I have the bliss of not having them interrupt me!