News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Cheaters Taking Your Class Again?

Started by evil_physics_witchcraft, May 19, 2020, 01:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

So, I looked at my rolls for the summer and I have at least two students who I caught cheating (and who admitted to it) taking classes with me again. Why do they do this? Do they think I'm going to use identical material so they can cheat again?

the_geneticist

They do this because (I'm assuming) they have to pass this class for their major.  I have a line in my syllabus that repeating students have to repeat all aspects of the course (lab, exams, worksheets, etc.). 
They might be hoping that you'll use the same materials so it's less work the second time around.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Right, but I'm not the only person teaching this course...

the_geneticist

Maybe that time slot works best in their schedule?  Maybe they are scared of the other instructor?  Maybe they just don't want to get up for early classes?
Who knows?  It really doesn't matter. 
Don't assume the worst of these students.  A new class session is a fresh start.  I'd say "trust, but verify" just like with any other students.

Parasaurolophus

Two of the cheaters I caught my first semester here have taken a couple of subsequent classes with me. I'm satisfied that their work was their own in those subsequent classes. I was hyper-vigilant their second time around and even though I make my students anonymise their work, I segregated these two papers for special scrutiny. I was entirely satisfied that their C+/B- work was their own, and everyone was much happier all around.

The third time around, I wasn't so vigilant. I was teaching formal work, they aced it, and it was clear from their in-class work that those As were entirely deserved. They learned their lessons and moved on, and I'm more than happy to move on with them.
I know it's a genus.

Antiphon1

Who knows why people choose specific professors? Maybe they don't blame you for their cheating. 

Students with cyclical, flexible personal ethics have the honor of individual testing in my office.  These very special individuals are allowed to complete their exams in a one on one testing situation.  And, no, I don't care whether they have other obligations.  You can show up at your scheduled time or you can drop the class.  The students are required to sign a waiver at the beginning of the semester agreeing to this testing schedule.  To be fair, I do tell them the the day they will be required to take the test so they make necessary arrangements.  The dean is aware of the policy and fully supports my methods. 

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: the_geneticist on May 19, 2020, 02:13:33 PM
Maybe that time slot works best in their schedule?  Maybe they are scared of the other instructor?  Maybe they just don't want to get up for early classes?
Who knows?  It really doesn't matter. 
Don't assume the worst of these students.  A new class session is a fresh start.  I'd say "trust, but verify" just like with any other students.

All summer classes are online, so time slot isn't a factor. True, they could be intimidated by the other instructors- but all of them? I checked and there are four other people teaching this class this summer.

I'm trying to not assume the worst, but I am being wary and cautious.

polly_mer

Yeah, it's weird to retake your section when there are other good options.  Are you by far the best person teaching this course so only great fools would take the other sections?
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Hegemony

I've been startled that many of my students don't remember the names of their professors. "Oh, you're taking a history class, who's teaching it?"  "Uh, hmm, I've forgotten the name." And so on. I think it's very possible that they simply didn't realize that the name in the schedule was you.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: polly_mer on May 19, 2020, 09:43:12 PM
Yeah, it's weird to retake your section when there are other good options.  Are you by far the best person teaching this course so only great fools would take the other sections?

*shrug* I don't want to toot my own horn, so...

Quote from: Hegemony on May 19, 2020, 10:16:42 PM
I've been startled that many of my students don't remember the names of their professors. "Oh, you're taking a history class, who's teaching it?"  "Uh, hmm, I've forgotten the name." And so on. I think it's very possible that they simply didn't realize that the name in the schedule was you.

Highly doubt it since I interacted with one of the students within the past two weeks.

clean

My guess is that the students think that the class will be the same, so they already have the tests and homework for your classes done.

From their point of view, they likely didnt need to cheat, they knew the material anyway, so they are going to take you again so that they can further/again minimize their work effort.

Not to change the discussion, but this last term I had a few that failed my class the term before.  Not that they had a lot of choice as I am the only one teaching that particular class, but their attendance was lower than the term before.  One may say that they confirmed that their grade was not a fluke. They got very much the grade this term as the term before. 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

writingprof

True story.  An online student submitted an essay stolen from Salon.com and received an "F."  The following year, she took my class again and submitted the same stolen essay.  By coincidence, the essay was written by one of my grad-school professors.  The student is now enrolled at one of our competitors.  I remember her saying that she wanted to be a college administrator.

marshwiggle

Quote from: writingprof on May 20, 2020, 06:48:39 AM
True story.  An online student submitted an essay stolen from Salon.com and received an "F."  The following year, she took my class again and submitted the same stolen essay. 

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results" -Einstein

By coincidence, the essay was written by one of my grad-school professors.  The student is now enrolled at one of our competitors.  I remember her saying that she wanted to be a college administrator.

No comment on the relevance of Einstein's diagnosis......
It takes so little to be above average.

kiana

Quote from: clean on May 20, 2020, 02:07:56 AM
Not to change the discussion, but this last term I had a few that failed my class the term before.  Not that they had a lot of choice as I am the only one teaching that particular class, but their attendance was lower than the term before.  One may say that they confirmed that their grade was not a fluke. They got very much the grade this term as the term before.

Yeeeeppp. Had someone in the same class 3 semesters in a row. Less effort each time. Grades D, D, F.

If they'd put in even half the total amount of work in a single semester they'd have gotten a B at worst and probably an A, they were smart. Just not as smart as they thought they were.

RatGuy

They don't know your name, and don't know how to read the catalog when they sign up for classes. My spouse has stopped asking student workers "who was your professor in ____" because they never know.