News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Discussion Board and Tracking Participation

Started by HigherEd7, May 23, 2020, 06:27:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HigherEd7

How do you track participation in an online course? I have a few colleagues that assign students a participation discussion question each week that does not require any type of referencing of the textbook or other materials, and then students have to respond to another discussion question explaining something they have learned from the reading and apply it to their career. Finally, they have a few critical thinking discussion questions that students must reference the textbook etc... and demands a little more research. I like the idea, but it seems a little much to me. Thoughts?

ciao_yall

Quote from: HigherEd7 on May 23, 2020, 06:27:22 AM
How do you track participation in an online course? I have a few colleagues that assign students a participation discussion question each week that does not require any type of referencing of the textbook or other materials, and then students have to respond to another discussion question explaining something they have learned from the reading and apply it to their career. Finally, they have a few critical thinking discussion questions that students must reference the textbook etc... and demands a little more research. I like the idea, but it seems a little much to me. Thoughts?

That seems reasonable. Students like to reply to one another.

For discussion, though, what is meant by "a little more research?" Because there is the balance between making sure the student is engaging relevant discussion and tamping down that desire to respond by tying them up in knots.

HigherEd7

Quote from: ciao_yall on May 23, 2020, 09:10:22 AM
Quote from: HigherEd7 on May 23, 2020, 06:27:22 AM

That seems reasonable. Students like to reply to one another.

For discussion, though, what is meant by "a little more research?" Because there is the balance between making sure the student is engaging relevant discussion and tamping down that desire to respond by tying them up in knots.

I have had students reference the textbook or conduct some research on a certain topic and their response ends up being just a paragraph of references. Any tips?

mamselle

You say, "Good research points, how do you synthesize them? Compare and contrast your findings now, and come up with a summary paragraph."

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

HigherEd7

Quote from: mamselle on May 23, 2020, 10:42:02 AM
You say, "Good research points, how do you synthesize them? Compare and contrast your findings now, and come up with a summary paragraph."

M.

Thanks for the tip mamselle! Great advice as always.

Parasaurolophus

I don't try to mark the quality of their discussion contributions, just the presence of a good-faith effort on their part.
I know it's a genus.

HigherEd7

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 23, 2020, 11:02:22 AM
I don't try to mark the quality of their discussion contributions, just the presence of a good-faith effort on their part.

Interesting response, maybe I am demanding too much in my response to the discussion...............

Bonnie

Most discussions in my class are worth up to 3 points. Abbreviated description of expectations below:

Non-participation, 0 points: No meaningful contributions

Needs Improvement, 1 point: Contributions are superficial, reiterations

Meets Expectations, 2.5 points: Minimum number of posts (usually 4), substantive but not connected to other posts; some connection to readings/materials

Exceptional, 3 points: Contributions are thoughtful, stimulate further conversation, clear connection to and application of ideas in readings/materials

HigherEd7

Quote from: Bonnie on May 23, 2020, 12:04:11 PM
Most discussions in my class are worth up to 3 points. Abbreviated description of expectations below:

Non-participation, 0 points: No meaningful contributions

Needs Improvement, 1 point: Contributions are superficial, reiterations

Meets Expectations, 2.5 points: Minimum number of posts (usually 4), substantive but not connected to other posts; some connection to readings/materials

Exceptional, 3 points: Contributions are thoughtful, stimulate further conversation, clear connection to and application of ideas in readings/materials

Thank you Bonnie and by your response, I am doing way to much and I need to make some changes.