Postdoc hell, adjunct hell and now research and innovation hell in STEM?

Started by hamburger, May 26, 2020, 07:12:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hamburger

Quote from: the_geneticist on May 28, 2020, 01:38:54 PM
Well, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that you contact a temp agency.  A lot of your soft skills like typing, data management, and multitasking are useful in a lot of jobs.  If you have full color vision & can lift 50 lbs, even better.  Seriously.  But you'll have to go in with the attitude of "I want a change in direction.  I'm willing to try anything for a few weeks.  I'm fine with mindless tasks.  I'm fine with getting dirty.  I'm fine with not being in charge".  You might find yourself doing medical transcription or collating files for a small business or assembling display racks at a grocery store.  But it's a foot in the door for a lot of "bill paying jobs".

Thanks. Some forum users mentioned about getting any job is better than an on-call adjunct position in CC. Is it because of health insurance and perhaps better job security?

eigen

Quote from: hamburger on June 01, 2020, 10:20:02 AM
Well, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that you contact a temp agency.  A lot of your soft skills like typing, data management, and multitasking are useful in a lot of jobs.  If you have full color vision & can lift 50 lbs, even better.  Seriously.  But you'll have to go in with the attitude of "I want a change in direction.  I'm willing to try anything for a few weeks.  I'm fine with mindless tasks.  I'm fine with getting dirty.  I'm fine with not being in charge".  You might find yourself doing medical transcription or collating files for a small business or assembling display racks at a grocery store.  But it's a foot in the door for a lot of "bill paying jobs".

Thanks. Some forum users mentioned about getting any job is better than an on-call adjunct position in CC. Is it because of health insurance and perhaps better job security?

And better pay. Pretty much better in every way, especially since you don't like teaching. I can't think of any way that adjuncting at a CC supports any of your career goals or interests.
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

hamburger

Quote from: eigen on June 01, 2020, 11:02:59 AM

And better pay. Pretty much better in every way, especially since you don't like teaching. I can't think of any way that adjuncting at a CC supports any of your career goals or interests.

Thanks. Especially in this CC, they don't even subscribe to journals that I need to access.

eigen

Quote from: hamburger on June 01, 2020, 12:51:17 PM
Quote from: eigen on June 01, 2020, 11:02:59 AM

Thanks. Especially in this CC, they don't even subscribe to journals that I need to access.

I mean, to some extent that's every CC. CCs aren't about producing research or training students in advanced skills. They're about providing basic discipline specific training.
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...