News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Course levels and different teaching methods

Started by jonathantheseagul, June 03, 2020, 05:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathantheseagul

Hi everyone,
This Spring semester was my 4th semester as a TT assistant professor. My institution has a high expectation of teaching. A good peer observation, a high rate of course evaluation, etc are essential. So far, my evaluation result was consistently better when I taught junior and senior courses. Is there any noticeable difference in teaching between them and freshman/sophomore courses? The former seems to be more patient and well behaved in general than the latter. There are, of course, outliers. Is it just me or does anyone else experience the same way?

Parasaurolophus

I think that's right. Part of it surely has to do with the fact that in more advanced courses, the students actually want to be there, and they're building (or have spent a few years building) a relationship with you in a way that's just not possible in the intro-level courses. If your upper-level courses are smaller, too, then that probably also helps the students to feel like you're on their side.
I know it's a genus.

Aster

There is a direct correlation of good student behavior to the selectivity of a course/institution.

So yes, your upper division majors-level students will generally behave and perform better than your lower division majors-level students. Your upper division students have been more filtered. There are less poorly performing and poorly behaving students in upper division, because some students will have flunked their prereq courses or changed majors. There is also increased motivation in upper division students as they get more choices in selecting their courses, and as they experience a significant feeling of progression towards their degree.

There is a similar correlation of behavior and performance between lower-level majors courses and general elective courses. Students in majors-level courses usually are more motivated to be in their class, and they may also have needed to complete college-prep coursework in high school to get into those courses.

And if you really want to get the full "Grade 13 Experience", I recommend teaching College Algebra or Introductory Writing Composition. My colleagues report that it can be a real animal house in there.

mamselle

Welcome, JLS!

You might want to check out the bird thread, while you're here, too...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Caracal

Quote from: jonathantheseagul on June 03, 2020, 05:20:30 PM
Hi everyone,
This Spring semester was my 4th semester as a TT assistant professor. My institution has a high expectation of teaching. A good peer observation, a high rate of course evaluation, etc are essential. So far, my evaluation result was consistently better when I taught junior and senior courses. Is there any noticeable difference in teaching between them and freshman/sophomore courses? The former seems to be more patient and well behaved in general than the latter. There are, of course, outliers. Is it just me or does anyone else experience the same way?

It usually takes more work to get students in my lower level classes to engage. In upper level classes, I don't have to stage manage things as much and usually can count on the students to move things along. In intro courses, I always need to know where I'm going and exactly what the plan is. If the students end up having a lot to say that's great, and I'll encourage it, but I'm never planning on unstructured discussion. If I want them to spend some time talking about something, I'll do group work.

I think there are bigger differences by school between lower level students than upper level. I'm pretty sure I could take my upper level courses I teach at a big non flagship state school and bring them straight to a fancy SLAC without changing that much. I'd have to modify things a lot more in my intro courses.

marshwiggle

Every once in a while in a first year lab there will be a third or fourth year student who requires the course to graduate. The difference from the average first year student is stark. They come prepared, they follow instructions*, and they hand things in on time.

Maturity makes a big difference.

*Since, by definition, the instructions are exactly the same for everyone, the facility in following them is obviously due to the student's ability to read for comprehension.
It takes so little to be above average.

Aster

Quote from: Caracal on June 04, 2020, 03:48:06 AM
I think there are bigger differences by school between lower level students than upper level. I'm pretty sure I could take my upper level courses I teach at a big non flagship state school and bring them straight to a fancy SLAC without changing that much. I'd have to modify things a lot more in my intro courses.

Yes. Absolutely. There are enormous differences between more selective and less selective institutions.

Students who attend more selective institutions will, on average, be better prepared, better motivated, and better behaved. This will in turn lead to improved academic performance. Teaching at an R1 can be a cakewalk compared to teaching at a low-ranked R2 or an open enrollment SLAC or a community college.

jonathantheseagul

Quote from: mamselle on June 03, 2020, 07:45:33 PM
Welcome, JLS!

M.

Dear mamselle, where is the bird thread found? I am learning here...

mamselle

Quote from: jonathantheseagul on June 04, 2020, 12:05:09 PM
Quote from: mamselle on June 03, 2020, 07:45:33 PM
Welcome, JLS!

M.

Dear mamselle, where is the bird thread found? I am learning here...

Hang on a moment, it's there somewhere....

Ah, here:

http://thefora.org/index.php?topic=114.msg1142#msg1142

Have you figured out how to shorten your wings so you can fly faster yet?

:--}

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.