News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

CDC does not recommend Covid-19 entry testing for colleges

Started by polly_mer, July 01, 2020, 06:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anselm

My own school allowed a few students to return to campus in May for hands on work.  They had to enter the buildings at select entry points where they had to answer certain questions and have their temperature checked.   They sent out numerous emails asking for volunteers to do this work at the doors.   By the time I showed up in the afternoon no one was running the entry points and I just walked right in.  I am not sure if they ever got enough volunteers and it all seemed to be a token visible effort with no strict enforcement. 
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

eigen

Quote from: FishProf on July 04, 2020, 12:21:19 PM
Follow-up.  Good-grief it is damn near impossible to get a direct statement about what BSL is required for doing the serological testing.  I can hardly slog through the information and it is in my (general but not specific) area.   How does anyone ever operate with confidence that they are following the regulations (or even the suggestions)?

It's a slog because you basically have to make a case for your specific use. This is usually where an institutional biosafety committee comes in, where you submit what agents you're working with, your training documentation, and the facilities you have, and they inspect/approve it.

We make broad designations like BSL2 or BSL3, but those aren't actually as applicable to the lab itself, and there are agents that are intermediate risks. For instance, a respiratory/highly contagious pathogen neeeds to be treated differently in terms of containment and facilities than one that is similarly dangerous but only spread via blood.
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...