News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

July writing challenge

Started by Puget, July 02, 2020, 10:30:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Have to pop back into town this morning, but hopefully:

• Condense last two sections of July Paper into one coherent section.
I know it's a genus.

Cybergeek

Finally, started to work on the paper once rejected......after reading 30 articles!!!

nonsensical

I've been filling in more sections for the papers and grant I was outlining in June. Did one section on one of those papers today.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 13, 2020, 07:54:59 AM

• Condense last two sections of July Paper into one coherent section.

Done, and wrote an addition 1047 words. Of course, now the section is far too long and will need to be split again. It never ends.
I know it's a genus.

nescafe

Quote from: nescafe on July 02, 2020, 12:50:19 PM

• complete revisions on an article, resubmit
  • complete edits on a book review, submit
  • complete review of state curricular materials
  • revise grad syllabus for Fall, contact students about day-1 expectations
  • reach goal: write 10 pages of original research; any original research

Today I will work on this grad syllabus. It seems less intimidating than writing up anything else right now (and after a stressful week I need a W).

Parasaurolophus

Today:

• Write a conclusion for July Paper.
  • Continue reading partner's dissertation.
  • Continue cleaning up July Paper.
I know it's a genus.

Puget

Finished my tasks for yesterday. Today was largely taken up with meetings, so for the rest of the afternoon my writing  tasks are:
1. One last pass on MA student's discussion section
2. Sketch out design options for grant revision
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 14, 2020, 10:45:26 AM
Today:

• Write a conclusion for July Paper.
  • Continue cleaning up July Paper.

Not bad. I'll make progress on reading the dissertation tomorrow, and continue cleaning up July Paper. It's getting there!
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

Quote from: nescafe on July 14, 2020, 08:47:42 AM
Quote from: nescafe on July 02, 2020, 12:50:19 PM

• complete revisions on an article, resubmit
  • complete edits on a book review, submit
  • complete review of state curricular materials
  • revise grad syllabus for Fall, contact students about day-1 expectations
  • reach goal: write 10 pages of original research; any original research

Today I will work on this grad syllabus. It seems less intimidating than writing up anything else right now (and after a stressful week I need a W).

Congrats! I cannot believe how soon Fall semester is - I still teach summer classes and have grading into August, plus the institution is starting a week earlier than initially planned, so I am not able to put Fall classes together until the last minute.

Parasaurolophus

Ok, well:

• July Paper!
  • Partner's dissertation.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

QuoteOk, well:

July Paper!
Partner's dissertation.

Hmmm....I'm just going to channel my inner Octo here, in asking/reminding/recalling that someone with a lot to do might want to think about how much responsibility they bear/want to carry/can afford to carry towards the dissertation/thesis/book/whatever of a spouse/partner/other family member/friend/alien with a stun-ray gun.

It's of course up to you what you decide and do, but I do recall a long-standing period of frustration for one poster, who had a lot on their own plate, but kept triaging in favor of helping their (spouse/partner, I forget which now) with editing and cross-referencing citations on their dissertation (which they'd done for themselves on their own, earlier, I believe.)

Just something to think about before it gets really difficult to prioritize, or before something like (in that case) gendered expectations try to take over more logical project management "best practices...."

(Or not! Tell me to get lost, that's fine, too...)

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

Not to worry, it's not like that at all!

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 15, 2020, 10:21:21 AM
Ok, well:

• July Paper!
  • Partner's dissertation.

I think July Paper is just about done. I have to tidy the citations, write an abstract, and cut a few hundred words, but other than that, I think it's good enough to go. Further improvements can take place in the R&R phase, if it makes it there. I'm just happy I've done it and will make the deadline for the special issue. Two papers from scratch in two months! w00t!
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Today:

• Clean up citations in July Paper.
  • Cut 200-500 words from July Paper.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

QuoteNot to worry, it's not like that at all!

Oh, good, and I see it's done, so I was just being a fusspot....sorry!

Let's see....in my own backyard...

1. Theory class Ppt pages for tomorrow: a new younger kid's class is partially done, but need to finish it and the older kids' work, also in progress.

2. The first of the three Ppts for the tours is now completely drafted, just have to put all the pix in place and get the words to match. Two more passes (today and tomorrow) might do it.

3. The other two--one 2/3 done and the other nearly complete (but in MSW format, and it, too, will need to be a PPt) will follow after that.

4. The "day job" stuff is a) nearly done and ready to send out (small format item) and b) in need of more attention as we map out the next issue of the online magazine we produce and start collecting the written assignments (two in, four to go, and I have to write one smallish one).

5. Beyond that stretches the infinity of articles and book projects that are on hold while the above get moving.

I have four hours before I have to start teaching today.

Ready, set....write.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 16, 2020, 08:10:58 AM
Today:

• Clean up citations in July Paper.
  • Cut 200-500 words from July Paper.

I cut 399 words of July Paper, putting it nicely under the word limit, and even did some reorganizing. I think it's ready to go tomorrow! Ahead of schedule, yay!
I know it's a genus.