Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

July writing challenge

Started by Puget, July 02, 2020, 10:30:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 29, 2020, 11:36:06 AM

• Book Review

I may still syllabize if there's time when I get back from the gym later.
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

Quote from: ergative on July 28, 2020, 12:11:05 PM
Quote from: darkstarrynight on July 28, 2020, 11:24:37 AM
I had a strange back-and-forth email exchange with the superstar author on the trio paper. Once I got the manuscript back with her results/discussion section, I realized the methodology section was incongruent with how hu actually analyzed and reported the data and results. At first, hu agreed with me, then retracted, then re-agreed, then retracted, and finally agreed with me (I think). The expert methodologist in this space is a mentor of mine, so I offered to talk to the expert if that "proved" this methodology did not make sense with what was done.

It is an awkward situation because the superstar author had the data and did analysis with other people (probably hu's students), but added rising star and I to write this up, and we did not collect or analyze the data. Thus, the methodology section got "off" from what was actually the case. Hopefully this gets resolved because I do not want my name on something that will be wrong, or otherwise anticipate reviewers will skewer us and reject it because it makes no sense.

Yikes, what a mess. I'm new to co-authorship, but usually I do the analysis myself, so I know exactly what is getting reported in methods and results. I can't imagine writing up a paper on work I didn't do myself. It must be so frustrating to be so divorced from the analysis and have to navigate these weird interactions.

Yes, it really is. I was so honored when superstar scholar approached me that I expected hu's work to be really stellar. Yet, hu's sections do not make sense and would get raked through the reviewer coals, so-to-speak. I asked hu to fix hu's sections based on my suggestions and send it back to me. Hu said I was "doing too much" as third author, but I told hu if it has my name on it, I want to make sure it is good. We shall see...

In other random news, a colleague at another institution who sometimes co-instructs my online class with me told me hu's sister came across my recorded presentation from a few weeks ago and found it to be interesting and helpful in her work. When the article based on this study comes out next week, I think I can actually envision people reading it! Joy!

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

Since my summer classes have final assignments due this weekend, I used my morning to work on Fall class prep instead of writing anything. I still got a lot accomplished so I will celebrate that even though I did not write anything besides a syllabus and add the institution's new face covering policies.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

nonsensical

I wrote a section of one of my outlined papers today. It is not my best ever writing but it is some words on a page that I can make prettier later.

darkstarrynight

Congrats Parasaurolophus and nonsensical! Great progress and happy Friday!

Parasaurolophus

Today's filled with errands, unfortunately, but:

• As much Book Review progress as I can.

It doesn't need to be done any time soon or anything. But it would be nice to have it more or less out of the way for August.
I know it's a genus.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on July 02, 2020, 11:37:26 AM
July Goals:

• Get paper #1 under review - finalizing with coauthor now and we should be able to get it out soon... but this paper has had its share of setbacks so fingers crossed
  • Get paper #2 under review - got some feedback from colleagues, need to make a few edits before submitting, also coordinating with coathors but I think we are all wanting to get it out the door asap
  • Make progress on paper #3 (this is R&R) - working with coauthors to finalize; due to journal in August but I'd like to get it out in July
  • Complete and submit book chapter - about 2/3s complete and due at the end of July

Stretch Goals (if all other things are done early):

• Submit IRB for new project
  • Make some progress on new paper with colleague

I had a very productive July, and now have three articles freshly under review (one was R&R so I'm really hoping that works out) and a book chapter with the editor. 

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on July 31, 2020, 02:26:02 PM

I had a very productive July, and now have three articles freshly under review (one was R&R so I'm really hoping that works out) and a book chapter with the editor.

w00t! That's amazing!

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 31, 2020, 09:02:03 AM

• As much Book Review progress as I can.

Taking stock of the month:

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 02, 2020, 12:19:10 PM

July's far too ambitious goals:

• Finish and submit July Paper (if I decide it's worth pursuing).
  • Write a review of Friend's Book.
  • Generate referee report
  • Finish and submit Foggy Paper.
  • Fix up and resubmit Unusual Outlier Paper.
  • Fix up and resubmit Co-Authored Paper 1.
  • Make progress on Co-Authored Paper 2.

Not bad. Some other things got in the way and were done (reading partner's dissertation, proofs of accepted papers, etc.), so I'm happy with it. I'll try to cross off the partially-crossed items in August.
I know it's a genus.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 31, 2020, 07:26:29 PM

w00t! That's amazing!

Thanks!  Unfortunately I also had an article rejected a week or so ago, so I'll have to deal with that in August.

Kudos on your own productivity in July as well!

darkstarrynight

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on July 02, 2020, 11:37:26 AM
July Goals:

• Get paper #1 under review - finalizing with coauthor now and we should be able to get it out soon... but this paper has had its share of setbacks so fingers crossed
  • Get paper #2 under review - got some feedback from colleagues, need to make a few edits before submitting, also coordinating with coathors but I think we are all wanting to get it out the door asap
  • Make progress on paper #3 (this is R&R) - working with coauthors to finalize; due to journal in August but I'd like to get it out in July
  • Complete and submit book chapter - about 2/3s complete and due at the end of July

Stretch Goals (if all other things are done early):

• Submit IRB for new project
  • Make some progress on new paper with colleague

Yahoo! I have a third revision still under review that is giving me anxiety (because we basically did everything the editor told us to and responded to three reviewers, three times...what else could take so long?! and two others under review as well that I need be more patient with right now. I am hopeful my article comes out this week that everyone is asking me and my co-author for after we presented last month. The journal promised us "some time in July" and now it is August, so....

mamselle

Looking for the August thread...

...or is it just not up yet?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

nonsensical

Would it be annoying to have one long thread rather than threads separated out by month? That way it will always be available and Puget doesn't have to have "start the new thread" on her to-do list at the beginning of every month. But I'm happy with the monthly ones too if that works better for Puget or others!

mamselle

Either is fine with me.

Just didn't want to get dinged for posting in the wrong place!

;--》

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.