News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

IHE eliminates comments

Started by polly_mer, July 02, 2020, 04:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polly_mer

The IHE commentariat has moved to https://www.reddit.com/r/InsideHigherEd/

Unlike our migration from CHE, those folks got almost no notice and no forwarding address remains on the IHE site.

I mention this because often the IHE comments were more informative than the original article.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Parasaurolophus

Ewww, Reddit. So glad we have a forum.
I know it's a genus.

downer

I guess they want to reduce their readership?

Reddit is the pits.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Katrina Gulliver

As with CHE, IHE realised their real customers are edu management, not academics. And moderating comments sections wasn't helping their bottom line.

spork

Quote from: bacardiandlime on July 03, 2020, 05:13:53 AM
As with CHE, IHE realised their real customers are edu management, not academics. And moderating comments sections wasn't helping their bottom line.

Also Disqus costs money.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

polly_mer

Quote from: spork on July 03, 2020, 05:23:54 AM

Also Disqus costs money.

A post on the subreddit indicates

QuoteAs I wrote in one of the last threads, per their marketing webpage they got 4.2 million visitors per month. That works out to ~140k per day. Disqus has three pricing tiers for websites:

- under 50k visitors per day: $9/month

- under 150k visitors per day: $89/month

- Over 150k visitors per day: please call us for details.

Doug underplayed this aspect of it, saying that their most recent month was around 3.7 million visitors, but I remain unconvinced that the prospect of crossing the 150k/day threshold wasn't at least part of their analysis. Given the limited data from the other two pricing tiers, that "call for details" likely translates to "A lot more money."

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/InsideHigherEd/comments/hfmtd9/decision_to_remove_commenting/  by Unemployed_NEstern

There were more than 300 comments on the article announcing the change.  A non-negligible fraction of the comments were about readers usually reading the comments first, primarily, or even just only.

I was in the category of reading many comment sections first and then seeing what the article actually stated.

Aster

I started to stop reading CHE articles when they made the dumb decision to remove the comments section.

Now I'm wondering how much value I'll get out of reading IHE articles, or if I'll stop reading their articles also.

The comments section of IHE and CHE news articles are usually more informative and educational than the articles themselves. They provide summaries to the articles. They provide critical feedback to the articles. They expound on the articles by providing additional information and linking accessory resources. They provide institutional and individual networking information to professional academics.

Inside Higher Education is shooting itself in the foot. Eliminating the comments section is a miserable decision.

Ancient Fellow

As with CHE, IHE realised their real customers are edu management, not academics.

Exactly.

ab_grp

I am not a fan of this move, either.  I agree that the comments often provided more information and context than the articles or opinion pieces themselves.  Plus, one could gauge from the number and variety of comments which topics were more controversial or important to the readers.  Sometimes that comments sections devolved as comments sections tend to do, but overall the content in the comments was of interest.  Also agree that is was a plus over CHE once those comments sections went away.  It seems as though readers of IHE may become less engaged with the site now.

mamselle

I wonder if some will find their way here.

Or maybe they already do/did...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

polly_mer

We made a good choice in refusing CHE's offer to migrate us to Reddit.  I registered to invite the IHE commenters to join us.

That interface is unpleasant and I keep getting a message like "you're doing that too much, wait 6 minutes before replying"

So I can read the whole thread, compose a post, and because it was only a few minutes to do that I can't push 'post' and have it go through immediately?! The old CHE wait time between posts was 30 seconds.  Minutes between posts on different threads is seriously inefficient.

mamselle

Glad you invited them!

(Play nice, people...)

;--}

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Aster

After reading this IHE article today, my mind screamed out for a comments section.

"Virtual Laboratories: Convergence of Learning and Career Practice"
https://www.insidehighered.com/digital-learning/blogs/online-trending-now/virtual-laboratories-convergence-learning-and-career

But without a comments section, I feel sick, disgusted, and imagine that the IHE may now be more liable to print just about anything. that someone submits to them.

Hibush

Quote from: Aster on July 17, 2020, 07:43:18 AM
After reading this IHE article today, my mind screamed out for a comments section.

https://www.insidehighered.com/digital-learning/blogs/online-trending-now/virtual-laboratories-convergence-learning-and-career

But without a comments section, I feel sick, disgusted, and imagine that the IHE may now be more liable to print just about anything. that someone submits to them.

Well, they are publishing letters to the editor instead of comments. Submit something and they just might print it.

Bonnie

Quote from: Aster on July 17, 2020, 07:43:18 AM

There is a reddit community for commenting. Not the same, of course, but perhaps check that out. https://www.reddit.com/r/InsideHigherEd/